Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory keypad install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 AM
235D

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Factory keypad install?

My truck does not have the factory keyless entry keypad. Is it possible to install a complete OEM assembly and it be functional?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

No. You can install the hardware and it plugs right in but Ford does not allow that feature to be turned on anymore through the IDS. Pre October 2010 you could get into the GEM module and simply turn the feature on, now the option is gone. Just went through this about 2 mos ago.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM
235D

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by motox151
No. You can install the hardware and it plugs right in but Ford does not allow that feature to be turned on anymore through the IDS. Pre October 2010 you could get into the GEM module and simply turn the feature on, now the option is gone. Just went through this about 2 mos ago.
I have an '09 so it may still be possible...?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

If Ford won't let u turn it on anymore, then why do they still sell it on their site?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Ford does not sell the OEM keypad conversion as an add on accessory. You can buy the stick on pad. You can buy the oem door handle/keyless entry pad all you want, its meant as a replacement for those trucks equipped with RKE pad.

up to 2008 if you do this it is simply plug and play. 2009 and up can not be done ever, at all, notta. The IDS is updated all the time and they wrote the function out of the software around october 2010. The only way to get it to work would be to find a dealer who has an ids that has not been updated since october of 2010. Thats not gonna happen lol or you could buy an ids and find that old software revision and install it. lol

I would not have believed ford would lock this option away until my hands were on the IDS and I could not find the option, then talking to Tech line they confirmed. They say adding RKE can damage the truck, they are high. If the truck has no RKE pad but comes with a key code it means the gem module is meant to process the RKE it just needs activated, but Ford says no which is sad. It should be standard on ALL their vehicles. Its such a cheap nice feature!

Last edited by motox151; 02-05-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Im an idiot and can't spell
Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Ford does not sell the OEM keypad conversion as an add on accessory. You can buy the stick on pad. You can buy the oem door handle/keyless entry pad all you want, its meant as a replacement for those trucks equipped with RKE pad.

up to 2008 if you do this it is simply plug and play. 2009 and up can not be done ever, at all, notta. The IDS is updated all the time and they wrote the function out of the software around october 2010. The only way to get it to work would be to find a dealer who has an ids that has not been updated since october of 2010. Thats not gonna happen lol or you could buy an ids and find that old software revision and install it. lol

I would not have believed ford would lock this option away until my hands were on the IDS and I could not find the option, then talking to Tech line they confirmed. They say adding RKE can damage the truck, they are high. If the truck has no RKE pad but comes with a key code it means the gem module is meant to process the RKE it just needs activated, but Ford says no which is sad. It should be standard on ALL their vehicles. Its such a cheap nice feature!

Oh I see. Thanks for the info. I was gonna add the keypad, but I guess I'll just spend the money on a different mod now lol
Old 02-05-2012, 07:17 PM

no prob! Sad because its a simple, simple mod and the factory wiring is there, just not the programming.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Yeah, I was looking into adding the keypad to my '11, since all my other Fords have had it, and I really like to have the security of never locking your keys inside. I guess my only option is the Ford battery operated stick on pad, that runs on a battery, and works just like a keyless entry remote. I have seen a couple different models from Ford, but not sure which would be better. Are the batteries replaceable in these units? I wouldn't use it all that often, so the battery would probably last a while, but I would need for it to be dependable. Anyone with experience with the stick on key pads?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo45
Yeah, I was looking into adding the keypad to my '11, since all my other Fords have had it, and I really like to have the security of never locking your keys inside. I guess my only option is the Ford battery operated stick on pad, that runs on a battery, and works just like a keyless entry remote. I have seen a couple different models from Ford, but not sure which would be better. Are the batteries replaceable in these units? I wouldn't use it all that often, so the battery would probably last a while, but I would need for it to be dependable. Anyone with experience with the stick on key pads?

The battery will last a long time. Yes you can replace the battery. You have to pop off the black shell then get inside of it. Not hard. I did it when I made a custom door handle with the stick on pad inserted inside the actual door handle.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
11 F150 XLT Scab 4x4 EB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a OEM stick on one last year and the batteries cannot be changed. The parts guy said it should last as long as the batteries in a key fob. I still have the original batteries in my 2001 Focus key fobs.

Quick Reply: Factory keypad install?