Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150 traction control

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-150 traction control

This is for everyone who is, like I was.. pissed off with the traction control system built into the new F-150s. The dealer said he would not disable due to safety and I was ready to give this POS back due to it getting itself stuck all the time.

After searching around on the internet for a couple hours one day I finally found a sollution that worked for me.

Pulling out fuse number 36, which is pink, will effectively allow you to disable the "traction control".

The only downside to this is you will also lose your ABS. The brakes still work fine but they will lock up if you stomp on them.

Me personally doing a lot of 4x4ing through snow and mud, losing the ABS is well worth having full power to the wheels. Then when I have any long trips on the highway I just throw the fuse back in and all is normal.

Found this answer on another thread, the guy was explaining how its not actually the traction control, but rather the stability control or side to side slip controller. If I find this thread I will post a link up here.

Hope this helps anyone who is still dealing with this problem.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

You should be able to disable it and retain ABS. Get a service manual and look at the wiring diagrams (it might even tell you how to just turn it off). You can probably put a switch inline with one of the circuits.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you also cannot go into 4x4 low because that fuse is for the wheel speed sensor, and you must be below 4mph to engage 4x4 low so the computer cant tell whether or not you are going 0, 10, 100mph.

I did a whole write up on this explaining it look at some of my other posts............. YOU CANNOT DISABLE ALL THE TCS BY PULLING 1, 2, or all the fuses and have full use of the 4x4 system, Engine brakeing will still be there, the closest I have found is by unpluging the steering wheel position sensor from under the dash, it kills the ABS portion of the TC, ESC, RSC and you still retain ABS functionality, and can go into 4x4lo, and use your locker if FX4. However with this you WILL still have engine brakeing. SOOOOO, best no **** bet get a tune from JDM they kill all TC, ESC, and RSC and you sill have ABS, buy this tune and a reqular tune. I have tried switches on BOTH 47, and 36 they only work a little, if your 2wd then 36 could be an option, but us 4x4 guys cant pull that fuse and use 4x4lo.

Last edited by manic5_2001; 02-12-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Ha...sounds great...who has a service manual. I'm ready!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:07 PM

I have a special tune coming from jdm soon, I will post a nice write up then...
Old 04-26-2011, 07:55 PM

Default Traction Control

Hey YukonWild. Got a question. When you pull this fuse, do you get any idiot lights or send any trouble codes to your computer. I can definately understand the pissed off part. If I want to "Light 'Em Up", it's my choice. Thanks man!

Originally Posted by YukonWild
This is for everyone who is, like I was.. pissed off with the traction control system built into the new F-150s. The dealer said he would not disable due to safety and I was ready to give this POS back due to it getting itself stuck all the time.

After searching around on the internet for a couple hours one day I finally found a sollution that worked for me.

Pulling out fuse number 36, which is pink, will effectively allow you to disable the "traction control".

The only downside to this is you will also lose your ABS. The brakes still work fine but they will lock up if you stomp on them.

Me personally doing a lot of 4x4ing through snow and mud, losing the ABS is well worth having full power to the wheels. Then when I have any long trips on the highway I just throw the fuse back in and all is normal.

Found this answer on another thread, the guy was explaining how its not actually the traction control, but rather the stability control or side to side slip controller. If I find this thread I will post a link up here.

Hope this helps anyone who is still dealing with this problem.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

OK so found the online manual and finally got into the wiring diagram, trying to figure out what it says now

Last edited by p38fln; 04-26-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 PM

OK, so reading the service manual, I clicked on the link marked "Vehicle Dynamics" in the wiring diagram -
It appears that the ABS module and the RSC module and TSC module are the SAME module. You can't disable one without the other through any re-wiring.

Also, this is found under the ABS description - It looks like the only way you can have ABS without RSC is if you find a tuner that can turn it off.

The Roll Stability Control (RSC®) system is an optional feature that works in conjunction with AdvanceTrac® to aid in maintaining vehicle stability. AdvanceTrac® with RSC® system consists of the following components:
  • ABS module — attached to the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU), but can be serviced separately from the HCU.
  • Front wheel speed sensors — one sensor is located in each front wheel knuckle. The sensors are serviced separately from the knuckle.
  • Front wheel speed sensor magnetic strips — one magnetic strip is located in each wheel bearing and wheel hub assembly and is replaced with the wheel bearing.
  • HCU — contains several valves (inlet, outlet, isolation and dump) and a hydraulic pump motor. It is mounted behind the radiator, below the air cleaner assembly. The HCU is replaced as a unit, including the ABS module.
  • Rear wheel speed sensors — one sensor is located in each end of the rear axle housing. The sensors are serviced separately.
  • Rear wheel speed sensor tone rings — one tone ring is located on each axle shaft.
  • Stability control sensors — located inside the Restraints Control Module (RCM) and consist of the following sensors: yaw rate, roll rate, lateral and longitudinal accelerometers. The sensors are integral to the RCM and cannot be serviced separately.
  • Steering wheel rotation sensor (6.2L) — located on the end of the steering column near the intermediate shaft. The sensor is serviced separately from the steering column but the sensor ring is replaced with the column. For all other applications, the steering wheel rotation sensor is part of the Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS).
  • Stability/traction control switch — located in the instrument panel finish panel and is serviced separately from the finish panel.
  • Hill descent switch — located in the auxiliary switch panel and is serviced separately.
  • Brake vacuum pump (3.5L) — located behind the left headlamp.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 PM
2010 FX2 SCrew

Call me crazy but I have a switch on my dash that turns it off. You can turn off TC by itself(press) or turn off everything ( TC, & advance trac/ RSC) with a press and hold.

I have a 2010 FX2 screw
Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 PM

You can't turn it 100% off is what I'm hearing (Although, I've never turned mine off in the first place - if it gets stuck i flip on the 4WD and turn on the E-Locker and it just goes...)

Quick Reply: F-150 traction control