Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Warranty rant!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry ESP Warranty rant!

I have a 2013 F150 Platinum for which I purchased a Ford ESP extended warranty for 6 years or 125,000 miles. I took my truck to my dealer for several warranty issues which they fixed, all but 1 item. That item was the driver side heated mirror not heating. Dealer checked it out and verified no heat to that mirror but all other components were OK. However, when they put the BL3Z-17K707-D part number in the system to replace the glass only Ford turned it down and the dealer asked me for $660 to fix it. I asked why and the response was that Ford does not warranty glass. No problem with that, I wouldn't expect Ford to warranty broken glass. However, the heater element for the mirror is embedded in the glass and cannot be repaired with out replacing the glass. I argued with the dealer but they said nothing they could do and proceeded to tell me I should not have bought a Ford Warranty and should have purchased what the dealer was selling. I guess they don't like the warranty from the people who make the vehicle.

The ESP web site does say that power side mirrors are covered and goes on to say that the rear glass is covered for defrosting but not breakage. So, I called Ford and argued that the glass was not broke and that it was the power that was the issue, the heating element in the glass was not working. After what seemed like an hour on the phone they finally opened a Ford case and told me it was in the dealers hands now and they would be in touch with me. After a few days and not hearing from the dealer I called service and asked to talk to the Service Manager. Service Manger came on the line and stated he had not looked at the case, did not ask my name, vehicle or anything, and stated he would try to look at the case that night. After a week of not hearing anything I drove to the dealership to check status, and to have my wheel locks replaced since they lost the key when I had the other warranty work done. While there Ford came back and said they would cover all but $177 of the repair. I said I had a $50 deductible why $177. Reply, not a warranty - Ford just trying to help. I explained to the Service Tech that I could buy the glass only for $65 online and didn't see that $177 was doing me any favor. He agreed but said he could not do anything unless Ford covered under ESP.

I am 70 and have driven Fords since the 60s, now I am not sure I should purchase another vehicle from Ford. Any advice as to how to get this covered under warranty?

Don
Old 11-19-2018, 05:56 PM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Where can you find that glass for $65? It's $262 from Tasca brand new. I just sold one for $100 used. It's easy to replace, so if you can get it for that just swap it out. Certainly not $660, though. An experienced tech should be able to replace that in under 5 minutes.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:42 PM

Is this the wrong glass. Being a Platinum it is heated and auto dimming.

Don
Old 11-19-2018, 07:43 PM

Forgot to put the link in!

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...gaAsFDEALw_wcB
Old 11-19-2018, 08:58 PM

Aside from my warranty post, I did have the wrong part # which changes the price. The correct mirror glass for the Platinum is BL3Z-17K707-F and I found on another web site for $288. I still believe Ford should cover this under the ESP warranty.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:10 PM

Received 246 Likes on 196 Posts

did you try another dealer?
Old 11-19-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Totally agree it should be warranteed.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

which ESP plan did you get? there are several different ones
Old 11-20-2018, 08:53 AM
IT nerd geek DORK NERD

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

I'd try a different dealer. Mine tried to do the same - they tried to tell me that despite the fact that the heating element is literally attached/glued to, and inseparable from, the glass, they only covered the heating element and not the glass.

I asked them how I could detach it from the glass; they said "Uh....I dunno." LOL

Later on I figured out that they had put in the part # for rear UNHEATED glass (without a defroster). Soon as they put in the correct part #, suddenly it was magically good, and I had to pay $50 deductible.

Quick Reply: ESP Warranty rant!