Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPAS Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 03:35 AM

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Default EPAS Question

Hey guys,

So I bought a 2013 F150 3.5 FX4 last week. Its got 60k miles. I keep getting hill descent/service advance trac warnings. It’s usually when I’m turning at low speeds like parking lots etc. it always goes away after a key cycle
or two. Happens at least once a day. I pulled the codes on FORScan, and got “lost connection with power steering module” and “the steering angle sensor”

This means I need to replace the steering rack right? I’ve already ordered one, and can do it myself and program it with FORScan. I just want to ask you guys if you have any idea if could be anything else before I go through the trouble of replacing it, just to have the same problem. I should also note that it’s making no weird noises, and is functioning perfectly besides the warning lights every day.

Ford really needs to do to do a recall on these things. They are failing way too often. I bought a 2013 brand new 5 years ago, and it started having issues right before I traded it in with 13k miles on it.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:17 PM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Yes - you won the steering rack lottery - have your VISA card ready - $1800.

It's not a question of if, but when on these things.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbexperience
Hey guys,

So I bought a 2013 F150 3.5 FX4 last week. Its got 60k miles. I keep getting hill descent/service advance trac warnings. It’s usually when I’m turning at low speeds like parking lots etc. it always goes away after a key cycle
or two. Happens at least once a day. I pulled the codes on FORScan, and got “lost connection with power steering module” and “the steering angle sensor”

This means I need to replace the steering rack right? I’ve already ordered one, and can do it myself and program it with FORScan. I just want to ask you guys if you have any idea if could be anything else before I go through the trouble of replacing it, just to have the same problem. I should also note that it’s making no weird noises, and is functioning perfectly besides the warning lights every day.

Ford really needs to do to do a recall on these things. They are failing way too often. I bought a 2013 brand new 5 years ago, and it started having issues right before I traded it in with 13k miles on it.
It will start making noise after awhile. I think mine went for about 6 months like that until it started making that screeching sound and then it was only intermittent. One weekend it just started to do it more and more all of a sudden and finally went out. The swap isn't difficult. An alignment is recommended after install but that would be a judgement call.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:34 AM

I bought it on Rock Auto for $450, and am going to install it this weekend. (I verified it was the correct part #) I can program it with Forscan.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:40 PM
FORD lifer

Originally Posted by Kbexperience
I bought it on Rock Auto for $450, and am going to install it this weekend. (I verified it was the correct part #) I can program it with Forscan.
That’s the way to do it.

The core charge on the factory one was $400 when mine went bad.

And my dealers here charge full bore list price for parts.

I thought about ordering one from Autonation Ford, and getting the 28% discount, but then having to ship back the core made it simpler to just getting raped by the dealer. 😊

Let us know how it goes. If your alignment shop treats you right you will come in well under half price.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:38 AM

Ordered a reman with a 2 year warranty from Rockauto. The one I ordered did not have a core charge.

I got it installed on Saturday. It wasn't hard, but the two bolts were so hard to remove I had to use a ratchet and the pipe off of my jack to get them to turn. One of them was so difficult it took me almost an hour of turning the bolt. I then unbolted the tie rods from the knuckle, unplugged the thing, and wiggled it out. I bought new tie rods because the factory ones were a pain to get off. I mounted the new rack, and then put on the tie rods. Making sure to leave the same number of threads the old rack had showing. Plugged it in, and used forscan to enter the factory as-built data, and voila! I was turning again.

I went to get an alignment, but he put it on the machine, and it needed no adjusting, so he charged me $10.

So all in all I spent $450 on the rack, $120 on tie rods. and $10 on an alignment. So I came out pretty good.

I am going to do a writup here eventually, as there is not a lot of info on DIY installs.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kbexperience:
Blondie70 (11-05-2018), Dunrollin (11-06-2018), montanaman (11-05-2018), twotoilets (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:18 PM
FORD lifer

Winner Winner Chicken dinner!

Quick Reply: EPAS Question