Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPAS problem replace rack new truck seriously ?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Next question

Last edited by beach_boardz; 01-05-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Yes any reputable installation place knows to unplug the EPAS system before doing any lift or anything of the sort. I don't remember exactly what the reason is, but it is a known thing to have to do on the 11+ trucks with everything but the 6.2L.

Unfortunately you leveled your truck which is modifying the truck so the dealer could go either way on covering it or not. A competent dealer probably would figure out what happened and deny it. But hopefully you have a nicer dealer than that

You mentioned having all that tire wear, did you have the truck aligned after the level was installed? Was the shop able to get it back within factory specs? If they did, I wouldn't think you would have wear issues so soon, but again, that EPAS is a tricky thing and can cause all sorts of problems.

Best of luck to you, I hope it can be taken care of and covered.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by beach_boardz
Just a quick question am I missing a thread or ? I typed in on google f150 EPAS problems and ppl are saying that if any steering work had been conducted with out the battery being disconnected this could mess up something creating a clunk ? Are both wheels independently controlled ? After the level was put in the right wheel was rubbing on the lower bumper valance (stock tiresize) it has now stopped and the clunking is gone today . Normally it's loud sounds though the left side and can be felt through the steering wheel . How would I go about testing what could be wrong ? If I disconnect the batter will it do a factory reset. I'm sorry but this should be advised with the reason and what can happen if the battery is no disconnected many manuals say disconnect for safety not disconnect battery or it will cost u a new rack every time I'll take my old rack to consumer reports And explain why a new 2000 dollar repair is being done on a truck with 63000 km on it if this clunking is because when disconnecting a tie rod the battery wasn't un connected that is ****ing horse ****. What are people's opinions please any info on this issue would be appreciated I am 2 weeks with 700 dollars worth of tires on the front and there is noticeable wear this has to be the most un ethical thing I have ever seen. Basically when asking if this would be replaced under my initial mentioning of a clunk in the steering wheel 30 000 km ago they said this is in related If I have to pay for a rack on my bran new fx4 out of my own pocket I'm am sure as he'll going to enjoy driving a new chev I'll take the outdated interior and a bit less power for a steering system that doesn't cost me 2000 and tires

Here...snuggle up next to the fireplace and start reading...

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/steeri...terrain-94150/
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 PM

Okay so here is my next question does anyone have a more accurate figure that has had to pay for it their self
Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

The reason for unplugging it is everything that is electrical that has o do with conventional power steering is in the steering unit now. Steering angle sensors and the like. Shocking this system is like whacking a computer with a hammer. See how well that goes for you next time your computer decides to give you attitude.

On the other hand, the peas system will not be causing tire wear. That is your suspension and steering components other than the rack, as well as your tire pressures. You are not the first to level your truck with epas , and you won't be the last one complaining. Why don't you go to your dealer and see what they say. If you had it documented earlier about a clunking then you might be okay
The following users liked this post:
yotehunter (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Rok

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

Just a quick question am I missing a thread or ? I typed in on google f150 EPAS problems and ppl are saying that if any steering work had been conducted with out the battery being disconnected this could mess up something creating a clunk ? Are both wheels independently controlled ? After the level was put in the right wheel was rubbing on the lower bumper valance (stock tiresize) it has now stopped and the clunking is gone today . Normally it's loud sounds though the left side and can be felt through the steering wheel . How would I go about testing what could be wrong ? If I disconnect the batter will it do a factory reset. I'm sorry but this should be advised with the reason and what can happen if the battery is no disconnected many manuals say disconnect for safety not disconnect battery or it will cost u a new rack every time I'll take my old rack to consumer reports And explain why a new 2000 dollar repair is being done on a truck with 63000 km on it if this clunking is because when disconnecting a tie rod the battery wasn't un connected that is ****ing horse ****. What are people's opinions please any info on this issue would be appreciated I am 2 weeks with 700 dollars worth of tires on the front and there is noticeable wear this has to be the most un ethical thing I have ever seen. Basically when asking if this would be replaced under my initial mentioning of a clunk in the steering wheel 30 000 km ago they said this is in related If I have to pay for a rack on my bran new fx4 out of my own pocket I'm am sure as he'll going to enjoy driving a new chev I'll take the outdated interior and a bit less power for a steering system that doesn't cost me 2000 and tires
Why don't you quit acting like a little girl because you are installing something not from the factory and can't adhere to the directions. Nowhere does it state Ford has to do it a certain way so you the end user can install a level kit. It can be done but has to be done properly. Don't blame Ford for something you did!
The following 3 users liked this post by Rok:
nemosdad (01-05-2014), ns_redneck (01-06-2014), RES4CUE (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rok
Why don't you quit acting like a little girl because you are installing something not from the factory and can't adhere to the directions. Nowhere does it state Ford has to do it a certain way so you the end user can install a level kit. It can be done but has to be done properly. Don't blame Ford for something you did!
Hey bud cool story
Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Hey bud cool story
Just yank off your level/lift kit and go get it fixed under warranty.
Ya its a bit of a pain...
Old 01-05-2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by dannofx4
Just yank off your level/lift kit and go get it fixed under warranty. Ya its a bit of a pain...
This was my original thought Is the rack covered under power train warranty ? My dealer said I'm at 65 000km and said sorry just wait and see if it gets worse
Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love all the sensors in a vehicle these days. Mine makes a bit of a clunk when hitting really rough bumps but most days I dont hear it. It has to be on a really rough road. Damn air bags in he back make the truck look kinda stupid without he leveling kit.

Quick Reply: EPAS problem replace rack new truck seriously ?!?!?!?!