Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

emergency brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default emergency brake adjustment

I recently replaced my parking brake shoes, which were worn down to the metal, and now the parking brake does not work. if you apply the parking brake and put the truck in drive it will roll slowly like the brake is only 1/2 working at best. on my infiniti there is a adjustment that can be made under the dash for the parking brake, is there an adjustment that can be made without taking the rotors off and adjusting the spring(s)?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:17 AM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Just like adjusting a drum brake.

Jack up the rear of the truck until both rear tires are off the ground, secure it with jack stands.
Find the adjustment hole on the back of the drum
Remove dust plug
Using an adjusting tool, tighten the adjustment screw until you can no longer turn the tire by hand
Back off the adjustment screw until the tire spins freely
Reinstall the dust plug
Repeat on other side.
The following users liked this post:
Massshole13sc (07-27-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I replaced the rear brakes on my truck last night and was going to adjust the parking brake since the pedal has gained a lot of slack over the past week or so. Got under the truck and noticed that my passenger parking brake cable has collapsed about a foot from the caliper. Not sure what cased it, but it has added about 2 inches of dead pedal. Ordered a new cable on amazon for 30 bucks and plan to change it out this weekend. Might want to check the parking cables before adjusting.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by soaringfalcon
Just like adjusting a drum brake.

Jack up the rear of the truck until both rear tires are off the ground, secure it with jack stands.
Find the adjustment hole on the back of the drum
Remove dust plug
Using an adjusting tool, tighten the adjustment screw until you can no longer turn the tire by hand
Back off the adjustment screw until the tire spins freely
Reinstall the dust plug
Repeat on other side.
thanks I will adjust them tomorrow
Old 07-25-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 46L281GT
I replaced the rear brakes on my truck last night and was going to adjust the parking brake since the pedal has gained a lot of slack over the past week or so. Got under the truck and noticed that my passenger parking brake cable has collapsed about a foot from the caliper. Not sure what cased it, but it has added about 2 inches of dead pedal. Ordered a new cable on amazon for 30 bucks and plan to change it out this weekend. Might want to check the parking cables before adjusting.

i will check the brake lines I hope that isn’t the problem
Old 07-25-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

brake lines and the brake cable are different. start at the parking foot pedal and work your way back to inspect. it doesn't look hard to replace and 30 bucks is a lot cheaper than i thought it would be!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 46L281GT
brake lines and the brake cable are different. start at the parking foot pedal and work your way back to inspect. it doesn't look hard to replace and 30 bucks is a lot cheaper than i thought it would be!
the cable actually looks good so far but this weekend I will get under the truck and do a thorough inspection of the brake cable to make sure.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

There were a bunch of people replacing the rear portion of the cable a couple years ago. Seemed like a bit of a problem spot (it commonly is on many vehicles), but I haven't seen much discussion recently.
The following users liked this post:
Richg78 (04-10-2021)

Quick Reply: emergency brake adjustment