Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EcoBoost vs V8 for towing

Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EcoBoost vs V8 for towing

Okay I’ll start off by saying I’m new to this part of the forum as I have owned a 2000 5.4L F150 for as long as I’ve been driving. As much as I’m dreading and probably going to regret this decision, the time and need has come to upgrade to a newer truck. Only reason for upgrading is the truck I have is underrated to tow my boat (2013 Sea Hunt Gamefish 27) and she’s only 2wd so I’m not going anywhere near the boat ramp to pull my beast of a boat out of the water without a 4x4 truck and a larger towing capacity. So that being said, it brings up the main point of this thread. I’ve been looking to get a 09-14 F150 but I have some questions, as would anyone investing in a new truck:

1) Looking around I’ve noticed a few model years vary in towing capacity. Which model year would be best to handle a total of around an estimated 10,000 lbs total weight (including the trailer, boat, fuel, gear, etc.) and pulling the boat out of the water? According to Google most of the late model F150's can handle about 11k lbs but looking at the GCVW on the door jamb in some truck says otherwise. Is this something I will really have to keep an eye on with these trucks?

2) If I decide on an EcoBoost truck, would it be as sufficient as a V8? I have my concerns with the V6 even though I am fully aware it does pack quite a punch. I am fully open to getting an EcoBoost but would prefer the late model 5.4L. After owning one and towing and hauling with it for so many years I know it’ll pull that boat and not think twice about it in the right truck with the proper suspension.

3) Would it be better and/or smarter to just buck up and buy a ¾ ton? I know a F250 will pull my boat to Alaska and back without an issue. If I need a ¾ ton I will be getting a diesel just for peace of mind but not sure if the more expensive cost of maintenance and eventual repairs will be worth it in the long run. Can a late model ½ ton handle it?

4) Does the HD/Max Tow package that's a factory option on these trucks make any difference in the overall towing capacity compared to just a standard tow package?

Thanks to everyone in advance for giving your input on this, just want to be solid on my decision with a new truck. Last thing I’d want to do is spend a bunch of my savings on a new truck and overload it and blowout a tranny or a rear end. One last thing, my boat is on a lift at my house so the truck would only be pulling it out maybe once every two months or so for regular maintenance and traveling down to the keys in the summer. So without any further a due, let’s hear what you 12th gen F150 owners have to say about it.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:39 PM

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,672 Posts

1st of all the new gen 5.0 will run circles around the old 5.4 so if your 5.4 is sufficient you will be quite pleased with the 5.0. The only way to get max tow in this gen is with an ecoboost V6.

Nothing much else to say.
The following users liked this post:
zx14_rider (08-31-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 883 Likes on 672 Posts

I don't think a diesel is necessary. 6.2L gas f250 at most. A used max tow ecoboost might be hard to find. Do you have requirements for the cab? (rcab, supercab, crew?)

Last edited by SteveLord; 08-23-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:58 PM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

In 2011 when I got my truck, I looked at both engines in different trucks, and the idea of that big flat torque curve on the eco is attractive. Great pulling engine.
I didn't get one because they were $750 more in comparable trucks.
You will be happy with either one.
Don't expect V6 mileage though when towing with the eco - lots of torque takes lots of fuel!
Happy hunting.
2000red_F150 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000red_F150
Okay I’ll start off by saying I’m new to this part of the forum as I have owned a 2000 5.4L F150 for as long as I’ve been driving. As much as I’m dreading and probably going to regret this decision, the time and need has come to upgrade to a newer truck. Only reason for upgrading is the truck I have is underrated to tow my boat (2013 Sea Hunt Gamefish 27) and she’s only 2wd so I’m not going anywhere near the boat ramp to pull my beast of a boat out of the water without a 4x4 truck and a larger towing capacity. So that being said, it brings up the main point of this thread. I’ve been looking to get a 09-14 F150 but I have some questions, as would anyone investing in a new truck:

1) Looking around I’ve noticed a few model years vary in towing capacity. Which model year would be best to handle a total of around an estimated 10,000 lbs total weight (including the trailer, boat, fuel, gear, etc.) and pulling the boat out of the water? According to Google most of the late model F150's can handle about 11k lbs but looking at the GCVW on the door jamb in some truck says otherwise. Is this something I will really have to keep an eye on with these trucks? With a boat at 10% tongue weight as long as you travel light in your truck you might be ok. Check payload stickers, depending on model lots are in the 1200-1800 lb range (especially the 09-14's). Might end up overweight.

2) If I decide on an EcoBoost truck, would it be as sufficient as a V8? I have my concerns with the V6 even though I am fully aware it does pack quite a punch. I am fully open to getting an EcoBoost but would prefer the late model 5.4L. After owning one and towing and hauling with it for so many years I know it’ll pull that boat and not think twice about it in the right truck with the proper suspension. 5.4 only available until 2010, 5.0 is a 'better' engine (more power / better economy / seemingly less issues), 3.5 eco puts down more torque at lower RPM. Possible to find a 6.2 in the F150 as well, would be pretty cool (not super efficient but a beast of an engine).

3) Would it be better and/or smarter to just buck up and buy a ¾ ton? Maybe / maybe not I know a F250 will pull my boat to Alaska and back without an issue. If I need a ¾ ton I will be getting a diesel just for peace of mind but not sure if the more expensive cost of maintenance and eventual repairs will be worth it in the long run. Can a late model ½ ton handle it? If you are careful on your payload specs yes. Power wise, absolutely.

4) Does the HD/Max Tow package that's a factory option on these trucks make any difference in the overall towing capacity compared to just a standard tow package? Max tow gives a better rating, but often run out of payload before that is a factor. Often was 'better value as a package' when bought new. Heavy duty payload package, gives a ton of payload.

Thanks to everyone in advance for giving your input on this, just want to be solid on my decision with a new truck. Last thing I’d want to do is spend a bunch of my savings on a new truck and overload it and blowout a tranny or a rear end. One last thing, my boat is on a lift at my house so the truck would only be pulling it out maybe once every two months or so for regular maintenance and traveling down to the keys in the summer. So without any further a due, let’s hear what you 12th gen F150 owners have to say about it.

2000red_F150 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,645 Posts

How about a 5.0 vs 3.5 for timing chains!
Old 08-23-2018, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by SteveLord
I don't think a diesel is necessary. 6.2L gas f250 at most. A used max tow ecoboost might be hard to find. Do you have requirements for the cab? (rcab, supercab, crew?)

Yes I do need a crew cab for the road trips. The 6.2L gasser is a great engine however i've heard it sucks down fuel really quick
Old 08-23-2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
1st of all the new gen 5.0 will run circles around the old 5.4 so if your 5.4 is sufficient you will be quite pleased with the 5.0. The only way to get max tow in this gen is with an ecoboost V6.

Thanks for the input. I've heard good things about the 5.0L would definitely give a try
Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

As an owner of several 6.2s, 5.0s, and 3.5s, get the V8. Don’t touch any 2011-2012 eco and do not touch any eco over 100k. 6.2 or the 5.0 would be your best bet as they will run forever and it looks like you keep your trucks for a long period of time.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp

^^^ For the record, not true per my sig plus the FoMoCo attachment...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
14FLRV&TT_F150_Sep11.pdf (614.8 KB, 5093 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EcoBoost vs V8 for towing