Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost vs Diesel?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ecoboost vs Diesel?

I just sold my 03 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins today and am in the market for a new truck. This was the best truck I have ever owned and was able to sell it for $500 more then I paid for it 3.5 years ago, so I have few complaints. Mainly 3/4 tons don't ride that great and the oil companies are screwing us over on the cost of diesel.

Driven the Ecoboost a couple of times now and I am extremely impressed. Rides like a Cadillac in comparison to a 3/4 or 1 ton. Feels a lot like a diesel and is way torquier then any V8 gas I've driven. Doesn't have to downshift to get up the passes and pretty much hauls ***. Seems to get descent mileage too. Its like a mini diesel but runs on gasoline.

I'm in Bozeman, Montana so must of my driving is between 4000 and 7500 ft elevation. Obviously the naturally aspirated engine looses some juice up here. I also have a lot of hills and mountain driving. I don't tow anything real heavy. In the last 6 years I've had diesels I've towed a car 4 times and 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer (about 7k) once. However I pretty much always tow or haul snowmobiles or dirt bikes. Usually twice a week, every week out of the year. I would say that is 90% of my miles. Either towing a two place snowmobile trailer (about 2k loaded) or hauling 2 dirt bikes in the back.

I also have a beater fuel economy car and don't drive a truck on short trips or around town/city at all.

Hence I have a bit of dilema. I had an 04 5.3 GMC and this was the worst truck I've ever owned. NO TORQUE at all. Always downshifting on hills. Towed horrible. Got 14 MPG empty and 8-11 MPG towing. Don't want to make that mistake again.

To add to the dilema I can get into a Cummins with 6 speed manual (like driving stick) for very similar money as the Ecoboost.

Not a brand loyal person, but do prefer American companies. Never owned a Ford though. I've had a Chevy, Jeep, GMC, and two Dodges.

Any former diesel owners care to offer some feeback?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

From what you have stated that you tow, then there would be no reason for the diesel. With the right gears, the EB would easily tow that and then some. I am unsure what year this other Cummins truck is, but if it is 2010 and up then you will have to deal with diesel exhuast fluid and dpf filters. I would rather have a gaser then deal with all that BS. Plus, you will have Ford traction and trailer sway control Which is way better then the Dodge's. Since you tow an enclosed trailer, then that would be a plus.

The plus side to the Dodge woud be the engine brake. I am unsure if drive on an any large hills or mountains, but the Cummins engine brake is 10 times better then the EB.

It all depends on what your needs with next truck are, and if you really need a diesel.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 10-18-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:06 AM

The Cummins (2011 or 2012) do not use UREA. That is a Ford and GM thing.

I had an 01 Cummins 6 speed and just sold an 03 Auto.

I am also leaning towards the the FX4 as I hate chrome and want the 3.73 gears.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a FX4 with the 3.73 gears and EB and am very happy with it. I will only tow snowmobiles through the Cascade Mountains here but after going over the mountains this weekend, unloaded, and seeing the truck hold 61mph at 1600rpm and the only downshifting was on the way down to keep my speed I have no doubts she will perform as needed when hauling.

I went with the FX4 package for the exterior looks (don't like chrome).
Old 10-18-2011, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I wonder if the gov isn't adding extra tax to diesel? It takes less to refine deisel so were getting screwed by someone!

I've noticed a lot of bias against diesels, but I will add my opinion. I have had 3 dodge diesels (5.9 cummins) and now drive a 2010 f 150 (5.4)

Diesel advantages: nothing will out pull it, great fuel economy, motor goes forever (some over 1 million miles), hold there value better than a gas truck.
Diesel disadvantages: fuel is sometimes more expensive, regular maintenace is slightly more expensive(oil + fuel filter changes), long term maintenace is more expensive (fuel injectors and or pumps)

Dodge diesels are great, but have problems: automatic transmission is a little weak, tend to eat u-joints, some have front end problems

My 07 2500 laramie I bought in 09 for $30500 drove for 2 years put on about 70 000 kms and sold for $28000 if it was a gas truck it would have sold for $10 000 less.

If you want good resale go diesel
If your main goal is pulling a lot of weight go diesel

If your not pulling a lot of weight gas will have enough power, nice ride, should be fairly cheap for maintence.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Since I am a Bobcat and born and raised Montanan I will give you my input.
I own a 05 Cummins and just bought my wife a 11 Ecoboost screw lariat with the 3:73 ELD.
From my experience so far the eco is a great engine if you leave everything on the truck STOCK!! I put some 1" larger more aggressive tires (GY Duratracs), a 1" level kit and a Bakflip tonnaue cover on. My wife drives town mostly and is getting 12.5 MPG, I thought with the nice torque curve this motor has small mods like this would not make a difference but it is a very sensivitve motor.
I pulled a 6000 lb trailer with atvs with the eco and got 10MPG same load with my Cummins 16 MPG.

If I had to choose, even with the smaller loads you would be hauling I would pick the Cummins, I am not really impressed with the MPGs of this ECO, plenty of power but as soon as you put a load on it watch the fuel gauge go down and the 26 gallon tank is a bunch of BS to top it off. My wife loves the truck, creature comforts are great, I love everything about the truck just not happy with the MPGs considering my Cummins weights 9000lbs rolling on 35s with a 3" lift, big winch bumper and topper and I can still get 21MPG on the highway at 70??
Even when the truck was stock it only got 18 on our trip to Homer so I am not sure if I have a bad one or what, my dealer says its "normal".

Plus you can buy "offroad" fuel to save some $, risky but lots of ppl down there do it.
On a side note I could have bought a nicely equipped Cummins for what I paid for this half ton. Just sayin'

Last edited by AlaskaLariat; 10-18-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 AM
COME TO BUTTHEAD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After my parents Duramax, they bought an Ecoboost. I did all the maintenance on the Duramax and most of the repairs. The Duramax was was fast when it ran right and while towing, but had a ton of issues.

The Ecoboost is the closest gas engine I have found to a diesel. The power feels the same, low rpm torque and doesn't need to downshift on hills.

That being said, my next truck will be a QCLB Cummins NV5600, but only because I love diesels.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, this is a heavily debated topic...lots of threads on it. do a quick search and you'll have plenty of reading to do.

I chime in every once in a while...I traded an 05 Cummins for this truck and haven't looked back. The only drawback is that my towing mileage (6k boat through the mountains of KY & TN) was better with the Cummins than it is with my Ecoboost. However, I tow about 10% of the time and the other benefits greatly outweighed the poor mileage. I was trying to wait for a light-duty diesel, but gave up and bought the first thing that was close. Plus, i like saving 10-20% on fuel. My average MPG per tank was about 16 with my Cummins and my last one in this truck was just over 18. Same type of driving. I bought the diesel because my '04 Yukon with a 5.3 V8 was not capable of towing my boat. until this truck, i assumed i was going to be locked into a diesel truck forever. I can't brag enough on how well this thing tows... it actually exceeded my expectations. One thing you might miss is the stability and brakes of that 2500. you can fix one of those by adding a leaf or air bags.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last two trucks were Cummins Diesels, an '07.5 2500 6.7L and a '10 3500 6.7L. I traded the '10 for my FX4 Ecoboost.

Now, you won't get nearly the mileage out of the newer diesels towing that you got out of the old 5.9s due to the emissions. I was routinely getting between 8-10 mpg regardless if I was towing my 36' 5th wheel TT or my 10' utility trailer. MPG just plain suffered towing. My '07 would get around 17-18 hwy empty, the '10 got 15-16 mpg empty, no where near the 20s the 5.9 would get (stock). It is much harder to mod the new Cummins as Dodge has a "detector" built into the PCM just in case one wants to do a power mod or ECM tune.

I loved the new 6-speed auto transmission, no issues there. However, the regeneration and DPFs caused a lot of problems, especially driving short distances and prolonged idling (not recommend on these trucks). I had to have the DPF replaced at 35K on the '07 as it was already clogged full. Warranty covered it, but if it was not under warranty, the dealer said it was a $3K plus expense to change them out.

Bottom line - unless you are hauling a lot of weight all the time, I would shy away from a new diesel. I sold my TT and only haul my utility now. I love the Ecoboost... hauled the utility yesterday, about 30 miles round trip and averaged 15 mpg. Granted not a long haul, but I would have never gotten that out of the Cummins.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Much appreciated.

Mileage wise my Cummins would pull 17-20 MPG highway (wind, terrain and speed changed mileage a lot). Would get about 12-13 towing a car and 14-15 MPG in the winter towing my two place sled trailer. So I really don't see think the Ecoboost would do much worse.

However, I was thinking I would do a 2.5" front, 1.5" back lift and 275/70R18s(33.2") BFG ATs.

What size Duratracs are you running AlaskaLariat? And how many miles on the truck? Are you accounting for odometer error with the larger tires?

Heres my Cummins I just sold. 3" lift on 35s. The new Ford is a low rider in comparison. Gotta give it a little more aggressive stance if I get one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost vs Diesel?