Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost: synthetic blend or full synth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Ecoboost: synthetic blend or full synth?

The ecoboost calls for 5w30 synth blend. Any advantages to running full synthetic?
Long life of the oil isn't an issue for me as I don't drive many miles and will be changing it based on elapsed time.

Synthetic blend is about $3.49 quart while full synth is $4.29. So for less than $5.00 per oil change I can run full synthetic.

Any thoughts? I tried full synthetic in my Ford Courier in 1979 and it didn't help the fuel economy, so I don't expect it to help the ecoboost with mpg either. My main question was, would it help prevent the build up of carbon?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Rok

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

I run synthetic in a NA. I sure as hell will be in a Turbo setup! Now is the ecoboost water or oil cooled as i really have no clue. But if its oil cooled synthetic is better for cooling down those turbos.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Rok
I run synthetic in a NA. I sure as hell will be in a Turbo setup! Now is the ecoboost water or oil cooled as i really have no clue. But if its oil cooled synthetic is better for cooling down those turbos.
They are oil and water cooled
Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience, it is best to go with the manufacturers recommendation--at least initially. Reasons for the partial syn will vary. One possible reason is that many engines need mineral oil in order for the seals to seat correctly.

Some manufacturers call for full syn immediately. BMW and Mercedes come to mind, but the engines and components are engineered for it from the factory.

You will not get build-up in your engine as long as you are using a quality motor oil ( I personally run Castrol, Valvoline, Havoline--never Pennzoil or Quaker State--some will disagree I am sure). Switch to a full syn after 20k or more if you desire. I personally do not think it will make much of a difference. As long as you are changing at fairly frequent intervals--that is the number one thing someone can do to increase the longevity of their engine.

Hope this helps--I look forward to being an F150 owner myself in the future--
Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
The ecoboost calls for 5w30 synth blend. Any advantages to running full synthetic?
Long life of the oil isn't an issue for me as I don't drive many miles and will be changing it based on elapsed time.

Synthetic blend is about $3.49 quart while full synth is $4.29. So for less than $5.00 per oil change I can run full synthetic.

Any thoughts? I tried full synthetic in my Ford Courier in 1979 and it didn't help the fuel economy, so I don't expect it to help the ecoboost with mpg either. My main question was, would it help prevent the build up of carbon?

From what I recall from the owner's manual, Ford specifies either semi-synthetic OR full synthetic for the EcoBoost. Synthetic and synthetic blends hold up far better to heat (less oxidation) than a mineral base, and the EcoBoost uses twin turbos which generate plenty of heat. That being said, Ford's minimum specification is for semi-synthetic, so I assume that their testing has been done with that oil, and they know that it holds up just fine. I would in general expect that to be the case. I would not recommend a 100% mineral base motor oil in a turbocharged engine, and apparently, neither does Ford.

Keep in mind that full synthetic does NOT mean that you have to use Mobil 1. Others, such as Pennzoil, have fantastic synthetics on the market as well which may be less expensive, and are equal or better performers. If it meets Ford specs for the engine, you should have no worries.

JKG
Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I run Motorcraft Full Synthetic and I think it just cant hurt to put the best stuff into your engine. I mean you pay 30K plus for a vehicle so I try to put only the best into my truck. Full Syn and Premium Gas, the higher prices dont really affect you much unless you are dirt poor, which wouldnt make sense if you have a new F150. Put the Best in and get the Best out.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a Pennzoil full synthetic (either Platinum or Ultra) in my 2010 4.6L-3V F150 4x4 . My fuel economy jumped from an average of 17.5 to 18.5 to an average of 19 to 20 mpg. However, this was accommodated by four other factors, so it's not clear it was just the oil: 1) the dealership wasn't changing the air filter during oil changes. The filter was black, heavily deposited with PCV, black oxidized oil deposits. The air filter was changed during the oil change. 2) The oil filter the dealership was using was not a Motocraft filter (it was a Valvoline or some other off-brand-- I purchased a Motocraft filter, the large size, the dealership used the small version); 3) Weather became a bit warmer, i.e. more days between 40-60 deg vs. 30 to 50 deg.

I cannot prove conclusively the synthetic oil was the reason for the jump in fuel economy. however, what I really want to do for future oil changes are as follows:
1) Use a quality full synthetic oil (Pennzoil worked, but I'm sure Mobil 1, the Ford full synthetic are similar in friction modifiers and anti-oxidants, the stuff that makes synthetic oils what they are)
2) Always change the air filter (it's a lot cheaper than paying for lost fuel economy at $4.00 / gal)
3) Always use Moto-craft oil filters unless someone else out there has a better one. Don't know why the dealership used the small filter, the bigger one looked like it had more capacity.
4) keep tires about 2-3 psig above the recommended inflation pressure.
5) Continue to drive in fuel economy mode vs. gorilla performance mode. Makes a huge difference. Keeping highway speeds between 68-72 vs. 75-78 makes a huge difference.

Just some thoughts. Anyone else have anything? It's really great to be getting between 19.3 to 20.4 mpg with a V8 for MH fuel economy.
The following users liked this post:
jerparker1 (03-04-2013)
Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 AM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

From the factory, they come with Synthetic Blend. I'd keep that in there until you are comfortably "broken in." Ford will tell you that the motors are already broken in, which is a load of BS. A motor won't properly break in with full synthetic from the start. Once you're broken in, it's up to you. I switched to Mobil 1 at 3,000 mi, and the motor is noticably quieter on startup... especially in the winter.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Having owned several turbocharged cars, including a twin-turbo setup like the Eco, I'd strongly recommend full synthetic. When those turbos get glowing hot, you will really appreciate the peace of mind that comes with knowing you bought the oil with the best heat resistance attributes.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Full synthetic for me.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost: synthetic blend or full synth?