Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost + Max Tow + 3.73 Gears = ??MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:19 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Default Ecoboost + Max Tow + 3.73 Gears = ??MPG

Hi all, new owner here so bare with me.

For those with an EcoBoost and the Max-tow package, what are some of your average MPG's? I assume the gigantic side mirrors that come with the max-tow must introduce additional drag on aerodynamics, combine that with the taller (numerically) gear ratio (3.73 in my case), and one should expect the max-tow package to tip in with a lower MPG then non-Max tow rigs. But thus far my fuel economy has yet to break out of the 13MPG range [empty] for combined driving. I'm not here complaining, just looking for feedback from others with Max tow. I continue to remain optimistic that my fuel economy will improve over time with more hours logged and a lager data set to sample from.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

If you're combined driving is mostly any of the following it will be bad. Short trips, over 75 mph, lots of stoplights, your heavy foot, windy, hilly. Also check tie pressure and if it is a2013 ford has a recall that may apply and could net better gas mileage. Something about an emission readyness system.

Otherwise yes that seems low. In my experience mileage did not change from day one. But I still only have 7000 miles on my Eco.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 579 Likes on 406 Posts

Mileage will not improve like everyone tells you.
The following users liked this post:
gillysmi (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same options in my truck with the 6' box with new LT true truck tires and i now have 10,000KM on the truck.
The best i've gotten so far is 20.92 MPG-- on a full tank
The worst i've gotten so far is 22.75MPG-- this was pulling my 30' travel trailer.
To get great milage i really have to baby it.
I'm going to pick up a motor bike today that is 4 hours away---we'll see how the milage is now will all the KM i have on it now. The 8 hrs round trip will be a good test.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

i have same set up with 6.5' box. I have just about 3k miles and my avg is 13.8. when I set the cruse at 65 the green bar just barely goes above that average. I had same truck with 5.o with 3.73;s and the mileage was a lot better and that thing was a beast (with problems tho) as well. I love the new truck overall but if it doesn't improve in the next few thousand miles it will be gone. whether or not it would take me a million miles to recoup the cost of trading it I don't care. probably will not be a ford either.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the max tow but standard wing mirrors.
Currently sitting at around 10,500 miles and getting 12 - 13mpg, this has been the same from day one.
My driving consists of around town and sometimes longer highway trips for about 90mins, I reset the MPG clock about a month ago.
Am i a little disappointed? Yes because of the expectations that Ford have given.
Can i live with it? Yes.
Do i love the power and because of that my lead shoe hits the gas pedal heavier than i should? Yes.
Could I get it down with more sensible driving? Yes but that would be boring
Old 11-09-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

I have a 2013 XLT eco max tow super crew with the 6.5 bed and off road package. I am happy with my mileage. Since they changed the fuel blend to the winter blend, my mileage has dropped about 2 mpg. My current lifetime average is 17.9 but when I filled up I was actually getting 16.9. During the summer if I stay between 45-55 the instant fuel economy meter stays pegged at 30 mpg. Right now if I travel on the highway doing 65 I'm averaging about 20-21.5 but in the summer it's about 24. I work 10 minutes away from home and take all side streets so it's stop and go traffic; so I have a lot of runs where the engine isn't warmed up fully by the time I pull into the parking lot. When I first bought my truck and drove it home from the dealer, I got about 24 mpg. I took and pic and uploaded on this site here somewhere.

Fuel economy is based on your driving habits, temp stuff outside, fuel quality and lots of other factors. I'm in Chicago so we don't have any mountains but there are some smaller hills to climb. It's amazing to see how just the slightest pressure on the gas pedal and make the fuel economy go down instantly.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntrk
Hi all, new owner here so bare with me.

For those with an EcoBoost and the Max-tow package, what are some of your average MPG's? I assume the gigantic side mirrors that come with the max-tow must introduce additional drag on aerodynamics, combine that with the taller (numerically) gear ratio (3.73 in my case), and one should expect the max-tow package to tip in with a lower MPG then non-Max tow rigs. But thus far my fuel economy has yet to break out of the 13MPG range [empty] for combined driving. I'm not here complaining, just looking for feedback from others with Max tow. I continue to remain optimistic that my fuel economy will improve over time with more hours logged and a lager data set to sample from.
I've got the same truck in grey! Only have 107km on it! Only city driving so far but the computer says 12.7mpg. I'm hoping after 2000-3000kms it improves.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

I have 2013 max tow with 4.10's and I usually get 14.5 to 15 combined with my ssi tune or mpt. Thats mostly around town.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I've noticed that a huge MPG killer (on my screen at least) is idling. I do a lot of driving (40k/year) and let it idle for long periods of time this summer to keep the AC running and my mpg average was in the 13's. Now in the mild weather without leaving the truck running all the time my average MPG is at 16.1

That's with 70% highway 75 mph or faster

5.4L with 3:73 gears and dumbo mirrors.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost + Max Tow + 3.73 Gears = ??MPG