Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EcoBoost Exhaust Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Deer Slayer

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default EcoBoost Exhaust Install Question

Couple dumb questions real quick. Will be installing my new MBRP single out exhaust on my 2012 Eco. Is it really necessary to disconnect the battery prior to install? I know sounds dumb but i I read that somewhere. Not sure why. Second question is if I should expect the truck to run a little "rough" or differently for awhile after initial install in order for the truck to adjust to the changes. Thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. I just finished installing my SOLO MR400 4" system tonight, and didn't even think to disconnect my battery. I finished a little late and I was dirty so i didn't even get to test drive it. I did, however, start it up and was pleasantly greeted by a nice, fairly deep and low rumble. It did seem to idle as smoothly as it always does right off the bat. I look forward to seeing how it performs tomorrow and how it sounds at throttle.

Let us know how your install goes. I'll give a write-up of mine tomorrow when I'm not typing on my phone.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:25 AM
Deer Slayer

Originally Posted by AlienAbductor
Good question. I just finished installing my SOLO MR400 4" system tonight, and didn't even think to disconnect my battery. I finished a little late and I was dirty so i didn't even get to test drive it. I did, however, start it up and was pleasantly greeted by a nice, fairly deep and low rumble. It did seem to idle as smoothly as it always does right off the bat. I look forward to seeing how it performs tomorrow and how it sounds at throttle.

Let us know how your install goes. I'll give a write-up of mine tomorrow when I'm not typing on my phone.
Yeah definitely post an update..these were the only two systems I considered..SOLO guys were really pushing their Eco system with a group buy and once that was over they all but disappeared from the forum..That didn't sit well with me..Felt like they pumped their product, got their money and were done..MBRP makes quality exhaust systems too.. I know it will never sound like a V8 but neither of these systems sound like ricers to me..
Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 AM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggo1
Yeah definitely post an update..these were the only two systems I considered..SOLO guys were really pushing their Eco system with a group buy and once that was over they all but disappeared from the forum..That didn't sit well with me..Felt like they pumped their product, got their money and were done..MBRP makes quality exhaust systems too.. I know it will never sound like a V8 but neither of these systems sound like ricers to me..
The more I drove mine the deeper it got. Once I yanked the trailer around for a day it got REAL deep. Lovin it now
Old 04-20-2012, 11:57 AM
2011 XLT XTR SCrew 4x4 EB

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The Solo boys have far from disappeared from the scene. They are actually busy trying to wrap up their video so they can release their kit for the V8 boys. I believe when it's out there is going to be a group buy for them as well.

Jcain, good to hear that system is getting the carbon built up nice for you. It's crazy how things change with some use.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Still loving the Mr400.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Deer Slayer

Okay got off track here still just wondering about my initial post..I didn't mean to turn this into a mbrp vs solo thread..
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM

1. Some people will tell you to disconnect the battery before you do anything. You may have read this somewhere where they were doing some welding on the system. You should disconnect then. Just working with hand tools? I can think if no reason to.

2. It's not that your truck will run rough at first just because you hopefully pick up some flow. It's pretty seamless. After the supposed adjusting takes place (how fast does this happen?) it may gain a little more.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

I would do it simply to clear the keep alive memory on the EEC and clear all existing fuel trims. Not a bad idea either way you do it.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM

^^^true. It's not hurting anything by doing it.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Exhaust Install Question