Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EcoBoost - Cold Engine Performance Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EcoBoost - Cold Engine Performance Problems

I have lurked on this site for over a year, and have benefited from the forum community a lot. Thank you!

I have a 2012 Ecoboost. Just recently, on a trip pulling a 6k pound travel trailer, I noticed a chirping sound that would occur during low RPM, and high torque. For instance, driving at highway speeds (60 MPH) in 6th gear on a slight incline (pulling a 6k pound trailer). There was a slight bit of shudder (maybe even a little bit of power loss). Once the truck down shifted (higher RPM) the chirp would go away. I thought it might be a manifold leak, so I took it into the dealer. But, they couldn't reproduce the issue, so they sent me on my way.

Most recently, I installed a performance tune. When the engine is still fairly cold, and under normal acceleration when getting on the freeway, the chirp is very loud, and the truck sputters during acceleration. Once the engine warms up completely the issue goes away.

If I revert back to stock on the ECU, the chirp goes away, but I am now beginning to experience a bit of shudder/power loss. Again, this only happens when the engine is cold, and during acceleration. However, where once it was limited to low RPM and high torque, I am now experiencing it even at WOT. But, once the engine warms up the problem goes away.

Again, I took it into the dealer. One way to really exasperate the problem is to manually start in 3rd gear, which I did to show the technician during a ride along. They claim that this is just a condition of the engine being cold, and that all ecoboosts do this. And, again, they sent me on my way.

This is concerning because the problem is getting incrementally worse. I find it very difficult to believe that this is a normal condition when the engine isn't completely warmed up. Besides, I have only recently experienced this problem.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Captain Fail

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

My 13 doesn't do that. Cold or warm.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd have the transmission checked. Could be the torque converter starting to go out.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Turbo surge. With a tune, the smaller turbos are trying to build more boost then they can effectively hold back. More than likely, you are hearing air slip past the compressor wheel. Your not alone, my 2012 does this with just about any custom tune but doesn't do it with the canned SCT tunes. My 7.3 powerstroke made a very similar sound while towing tuned before I upgraded the turbo.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

My money would be on an exhaust gasket leak. Cold = shrinkage (more noise). Once everything warms up the metals and gasket swell and seal up the leak.

That "every EcoBoost does this" is complete BS.

Get your area rep involved. R&R the gaskets and move on.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300
My money would be on an exhaust gasket leak. Cold = shrinkage (more noise). Once everything warms up the metals and gasket swell and seal up the leak.

That "every EcoBoost does this" is complete BS.

Get your area rep involved. R&R the gaskets and move on.

Guy says he has a tune, my guess is he may be his own warranty station at this point.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't be doing WOT runs a cold engine. Infact, one of the top causes of engine failure is not letting it warm up before running it hard... Just bought my 2013 E.B last week & haven't heard anything like that, but I haven't let it go over 2k RPM's until its warmed up either.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Guy says he has a tune, my guess is he may be his own warranty station at this point.
I have a tune too. Means nothing. Just un-tune when taking it to the dealer (in case they have a TSB their supposed to load while the truck is in their hands. They're not likely to look for anything unless you tick 'em off. The tune did not cause this noise.

Also, you definitely do NOT want to run WOT until at full running temp! That said, during engine 'break-in', once full temp is achieved, Drive it like you stole it !
The following 2 users liked this post by STingray1300:
Left Plate (12-15-2013), Megamole (02-14-2014)
Old 12-15-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300
I have a tune too. Means nothing. Just un-tune when taking it to the dealer (in case they have a TSB their supposed to load while the truck is in their hands. They're not likely to look for anything unless you tick 'em off. The tune did not cause this noise.

Also, you definitely do NOT want to run WOT until at full running temp! That said, during engine 'break-in', once full temp is achieved, Drive it like you stole it !

The tune is the first thing they will look for. There laptop will identify if the CPU has been altered. It has a memory and don't be surprised if they blame it on your tune. My EB doesn't make the noise you have. I let my truck warm up for at least until the thermostat opens up and idles down to 500rpms. I don't open it up after that mainly city at 40-50 mph. Let us know if you issue has been identified. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

It's a double edged sword. Ford tunes these things to be very quiet, so when you throw a tune at it and make it actually work, you hear noises that you have never heard before , I would get with the tuner and have him look at shift points, etc. Do you have a way of tracking boost?

Dealers do not find tunes unless they are looking for it. In most. Cases, they are not looking or don't care if you run a tune! At least any that I have dealt with!

Always let it get up to operating temp before asking it to work. Especially the transmission, which takes a long time to warm up. You are asking for trouble by flogging on any cold engine!

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Left Plate; 12-15-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost - Cold Engine Performance Problems