Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebony Black vs. Tuxedo Black

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Ebony Black vs. Tuxedo Black

I think most people around here already know that you can't factory order a Tuxedo Black truck from Ford due to the earthquakes over in Japan.

However, it looks as though you can now order a Ebony Black truck from Ford. Wonder what the difference is?

Anyone have any insight? My two color preferences are Sterling Grey and Tuxedo Black, so any info would be appreciated.

Now we just need Ford to get on their game with the Nav system shortage.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jjm1024
I think most people around here already know that you can't factory order a Tuxedo Black truck from Ford due to the earthquakes over in Japan.

However, it looks as though you can now order a Ebony Black truck from Ford. Wonder what the difference is?

Anyone have any insight? My two color preferences are Sterling Grey and Tuxedo Black, so any info would be appreciated.

I have a Tuxedo Black 2011 XLT SC. It's a love/hate relationship. Love it when it's clean, hate it when it's dirty. Zaino is your friend with anything Black.

Tuxedo Black is a Metallic Flaked color. Grey or White is probably the best unless you are constantly washing your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Ebony Black vs. Tuxedo Black-img_0273.jpg   Ebony Black vs. Tuxedo Black-img_0275.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe not metallic.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Black (paint code UA) is essentially flat black. There is no "metallic" to it, no speckle or whatever you want to call it.

My Fusion is Black, like it much better than Tuxedo Black. It is a matter of taste I guess.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The metallic is what makes the black better than any other color IMO (when clean)
Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jjm1024

Fill all of us in that don't know why you can't order a Tuxedo Black truck because of the earthquake in Japan. I hate guessing. Does the paint come from Japan?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
Fill all of us in that don't know why you can't order a Tuxedo Black truck because of the earthquake in Japan. I hate guessing. Does the paint come from Japan?
From my understanding, the Tuxedo Black paint is from Japan.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
From what I've been able to gather, the specific pigments they use to create the Tuxedo Black color are manufactured in Japan. I've had two different salesmen from two dealerships tell me this (so take that for what it's worth). Of course both only let me know of this after I asked them if it was true that you could not factory order a truck with Tux Black and Nav as an option. Both said, "wow, I guess you do your research."

Short story, I can't state that is the reason 100% factually, but it seems to be the generally agreed upon answer.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought a Tuxedo Black after having a GMC standard black truck. The flake in Tuxedo black is multicolored looks fantastic (to me anyway) and in the sun it lights up and in the shade it's solid shiney standard looking black for the most part. Obviously any black is a bit of a job to keep clean but the look makes it worth it. In the end all the colors are nice, I wish I had one of each!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a pigment made in japan (the sole supplier) that went in the tuxedo black paint and several other colors for several auto manufacturers was located 30 miles from the nuclear plant that melted down. i am getting my truck in ebony black which is the same color as the mustang black. they are pretty close when sitting side by side, just no metal flake.

Quick Reply: Ebony Black vs. Tuxedo Black