Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E vs D vs C vs P rated tire question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:31 PM

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Default E vs D vs C vs P rated tire question

I have a 14 fx4 screw and will need tires.
I have the Goodyear AT/s that is C rated on an 18inch rim

I want either GY Duratracs or The BF KO2's. as I am sure this has been discussed.

Living in Northern Michigan we can see significant snow falls and I like that these 2 tires are rated for Severe snow and ice with the snowflake.

My question (finally) Do the tires lose the severe snow and ice rating in the D, C and P rated tires???
Old 11-28-2016, 11:14 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

You didn't mention Toyo Open Country AT2 in your (2) preferred tire brands but they are popular choices plus available in OEM 18" size P-metric or LT E-load and C-load rated. Unusual, since nearly all LT tires are E-load better suited to heavier payload or towing than are most F150. I've posted pics here before in related thread topics, so no need to repeat. Perhaps do a forum search if curious. I'm running LT275/65R18C (Toyo p/n 352500). No extreme winter weather here but we do get snow. In fact, it was doing so lightly here earlier this evening...

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/patte...-terrain-tires
Old 11-28-2016, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by DirtDawg
You didn't mention Toyo Open Country AT2 in your (2) preferred tire brands but they are popular choices plus available in OEM 18" size P-metric or LT E-load and C-load rated. Unusual, since nearly all LT tires are E-load better suited to heavier payload or towing than are most F150. I've posted pics here before in related thread topics, so no need to repeat. Perhaps do a forum search if curious. I'm running LT275/65R18C (Toyo p/n 352500). No extreme winter weather here but we do get snow. In fact, it was doing so lightly here earlier this evening...

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/patte...-terrain-tires
thanks

the search reveled hundreds of matches. After going through 30 pages of nothing-ness I posted the question. thanks for the reply
The following users liked this post:
rdatkins (05-20-2020)
Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 PM

toy's are nice but no snow flake
Old 11-28-2016, 11:54 PM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
My question (finally) Do the tires lose the severe snow and ice rating in the D, C and P rated tires???
No.

If you are willing to run two sets, winter tires are still better. The snowflake is a medium snow rating, not maximum.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:31 AM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

I run two sets of tires. Summer is stock 2016 Sport 20's with stock Dynapro ATm's. In the Winter I run Raptor 17's with Toyo GSI-5 winter tires. I am looking at swapping out the Toyo's as they are close to the wear bars. I drive in severe conditions throughout the winter driving in the mountains and open prairies.

These winter Toyo's are my first set of dedicated winters. Overall I'm happy with them, but honestly when driving for the conditions, I notice little difference from running a good AT. When on ice or very hard packed snow is when the winter's have the edge.

I've run BFG Ko's, Toyo AT II Extreme's, Pro Comp AT's, Michelin LTX's and a few others. I drove my buddies truck last winter (same as mine only a Scab with a 5.0) and it had Duratrac's on it. I was impressed with the tire and would give them a shot if they didn't wear so fast. The Toyo's AT II's I ran were a good tire, but pricey. It's hard to compare though as they were on my F350. KO's are slippy on wet surfaces as they are a pretty hard compound. I've been told the KO2's aer better, but don't have any personal experience.

This time around, I'm going to give the new Nitto Ridge Grappler a shot. They offer the size I'm looking for in a "C" rating and I like the look and tread depth. I'm usually contending with snow more than ice, so we'll see. I'll be running from Vancouver to NW Ontario for Xmas and then back (over 3000miles). If they suck, they will be taken off before I even come back.

If you find a tire you like and they will have the snow-flake rating, they will have that rating regardless of load rating. Check out the Nitto EXO grappler.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:39 AM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
No.

If you are willing to run two sets, winter tires are still better. The snowflake is a medium snow rating, not maximum.
I agree. Nothing will ever be better than a set of snow tires. You would be amazed what a set of Blizzaks can do.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 AM

Cool
thanks y'all for the replies.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
toy's are nice but no snow flake
Yep, one of the symbols shown on linked webage with score of 4.5 of 5 maximum.
Winter Handling

Deep Tread Grooves with Stone-Ejecting Blocks

• Enhances mud and snow traction.
  • Forces stones from grooves.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammy77
I agree. Nothing will ever be better than a set of snow tires. You would be amazed what a set of Blizzaks can do.
I'd have them on right now, but I had to prioritize some other spending, so my spare wheels are just sitting there naked. Gonna have to make due with my ATs this winter.