Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Locker trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default E-Locker trouble

Has anyone ran into Noisy Electronic locker problem?
We got a good dump of snow here in Quebec, so I needed it. It's like doesn't engage and grinds/hops.
They had the diff open during the summer for the TSB cling clang poof sound ... I wondering if they messed something up...
It's going in tomorrow after work and I will also have them look at the rear window defrost that doesn't always work.
Kinda tired of going into the dealer... Every time they touch something, later it's another problem.
I DON'T want to say it, BUT I think I'm starting to regret my purchase...
I looked at upgrading to a 2014 and I'm loosing over 17K without the taxes.. ouch!
Feeling a little, well sad.
I just received my new lo pro QT tonneau cover and my new 5100 bilsteins (not installed) and I'm not even sure I want this truck anymore. Looks like it's becoming a problem.
FORD, please!!!, We spend a lot of money man...
Old 12-16-2013, 08:24 PM

yes I understand your concerns with the f150. there seems to be a "lot" of issues with some of these trucks. get it fixed under warranty then trade it when your warranty is up for a new one. I feel these trucks could cost serious dollars to fix past warranty!!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Lockers make a ratcheting sound... It's how the work. Research how they work and then see if that is the sound you are hearing.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by CollinM
Lockers make a ratcheting sound... It's how the work. Research how they work and then see if that is the sound you are hearing.
^Agree! Op, are you 4x4 or 2wd? I'm not sure what situation you're using your locker for, I know you mentioned snow. You shouldn't really be driving around with it engaged but rather only using it to get unstuck. It is doing just what it says, locking the power distribution to the rear wheels 50/50, so if you try turning it is going to feel really rough and scrub the tires.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CollinM
Not the e-locker in these trucks. Once engaged it shouldn't make any sound, the Detroit locker on the other hand may sound like a ratchet when loading and unloading. Air locker is the same but with different means to engage it. Open diff when off, spool when active.

You may hear and/or feel the rear tires "hop" slightly when turning due to the inside tire binding on the ground and the outside tire dragging on the ground so to speak, but once engaged if you're under the over-ride speed, the locker parts do not move.
The following 3 users liked this post by dac79:
fringe_remnant (01-26-2014), ns_redneck (01-16-2014), RES4CUE (12-17-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 217 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011f150
yes I understand your concerns with the f150. there seems to be a "lot" of issues with some of these trucks. get it fixed under warranty then trade it when your warranty is up for a new one. I feel these trucks could cost serious dollars to fix past warranty!!
You obviously know nothing about how a locker functions, or anything about the F150 at all it seems... Go spread your bull**** somewhere else.
The following 2 users liked this post by McCarthy:
Dave7189 (01-16-2014), fringe_remnant (01-26-2014)
Old 12-17-2013, 02:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I will get noise sometimes when locked in 2wd, not a grinding though. Kinda like a pop pop pop, but when I watch the tires in the mirrors they stay locked together. My best guess is, as the truck grabs and loses traction, and the wheels and driveline torque up and release, the truck will have a slight axle hop. If you suspect the locker itself is slipping inside the diff, then check the oil for metal filings. Though I doubt you'll find any, I've checked mine and found nothing. And I use the locker excessively.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When the Electronic Locking Differential is engaged on a L6 rear end (3.73) and turning at slow speed an audible click/clack will be heard.
so if you don't want to hear it click, use 4x4 first, if equiped. No throttle rolling starts, if stuck use ELD. Do not drive agressive with the ELD engaged, do not to turn sharp as it can slightly bind.
Maybe if you just can't stand the noise add more friction modifier to the rear end. However since it is a sealed unit you will have to do a full fluid change.

g0rilla

btw an engaged locked rear end is a means of getting unstuck. You should not be driving around town with it engaged. Premature wear will result. Which can be very expensive...

Last edited by g0rilla; 12-17-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
byte (01-05-2014)
Old 12-17-2013, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the replies
DAC79 is on the said as close is it is.
I do not drive around with it in town, it was trying to get up a snowy hill.
Also the noise is only present when load is applied in a straight line.

Like mentioned above, a "detroit locker" will make noise when wheels a turning a different speed, this is not the case.
I'm on snow, straight line, applying load.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

how bad was the hill? Don't forget about the front. It is open and the front tires can and will at times "hop" under load if you're on the verge of being stuck. It won't matter if you're turning or going straight for the front wheels to fight each other for power with low traction. Then you have the abs which never really turns off......

Quick Reply: E-Locker trouble