Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E load rating tire pressure thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E load rating tire pressure thread

OK GUYS I have searched and searched and haven't found a solid answer...

this weekend i installed BFG A/T KO's 275/70R18 on my truck with a 1.5" AS leveling kit and 3" rear blocks...

Now I need to know what PSI to run the tires at. I am more interested in the longevity/performance of the tires not the ride quality....

Thanks

Greg
Old 01-18-2011, 12:21 PM

OH and the dealership put the tires at about 44psi after they mounted and balanced them
Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM
2011 SCREW 6.5' EB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That 44psi seems to high. Are you running empty/non-towing most of the time?

I have Load Range D Nitto's and run about 32 psi in front and 30 psi in rear around town and to/from work-empty. When I hook up the trailer (5,000 lbs) and go on a trip I go up to 38 rear/36 front. I also have the tires rotated and balanced every 6,000-7,000 miles. I have put almost 60,000 miles on these tires and still have about 4/32 tread left.

Mainly, watch your tread wear. If they are wearing to much in the middle, pressure is to high and should be lowered, wearing to much on the outsides then pressure to is low and should be raised. I thought Load Range D was a heavy tire for an F-150, Load Range E, will be really overkill. Those tires should last along time for you.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM

I don't have a trailer or a load most of the time I am driving the truck
Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have the same as your stock size you should use the pressure on the door sticker. If you have a different size than stock email the tire manufacturer and they will give you the recommended PSI. The below if right off of BFG's Website under FAQ's and what tire pressure to run:

What is the correct air pressure for my tires?
The vehicle manufacturer selects the size and type of tires for their vehicles. They perform the necessary testing to establish the vehicles’ optimized operating tire inflation pressures which can be found on the vehicle placard (located on the inside of the driver's door) and in the vehicle owners’ manual.

If the tires on your vehicle are the same size as the original equipment tire, inflate them to the pressures indicated on the placard.

If the size of the tires is different than the size indicated on the placard, please contact us via phone or email for a pressure recommendation. We will need the following information from the tire and wheel placard:

– the original equipment tire size
– the vehicle manufacturer's inflation pressure.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah you can search and search and search on this and you will find lots of opinions but no definite answers. I suggest playing around with it until you get the ride/wear you like for normal driving and if you are towing/hauling bump it up. 80psi is probably not necessary unless fully loading the truck, which still isn't fully loading those tires...
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Derff96963
If you have the same as your stock size you should use the pressure on the door sticker. If you have a different size than stock email the tire manufacturer and they will give you the recommended PSI. The below if right off of BFG's Website under FAQ's and what tire pressure to run:

What is the correct air pressure for my tires?
The vehicle manufacturer selects the size and type of tires for their vehicles. They perform the necessary testing to establish the vehicles’ optimized operating tire inflation pressures which can be found on the vehicle placard (located on the inside of the driver's door) and in the vehicle owners’ manual.

If the tires on your vehicle are the same size as the original equipment tire, inflate them to the pressures indicated on the placard.

If the size of the tires is different than the size indicated on the placard, please contact us via phone or email for a pressure recommendation. We will need the following information from the tire and wheel placard:

– the original equipment tire size
– the vehicle manufacturer's inflation pressure.

That's all fine and dandy but these tires are not the original equipment tire size nor are they the same load rating, so all bets are off.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ftrucktough
That's all fine and dandy but these tires are not the original equipment tire size nor are they the same load rating, so all bets are off.
Correct...I went to up to a 275/70R18 (33.2")...they are also e rated unlike stock...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you even read what I posted. That middle section is right off BFG's website. I says if you read it that if its not the same tire size call or email them with your OEM tire size and pressure and they will give you the right pressure for your new tires.

They make the tires, they will be able to tell you the right pressure. Just because there are load range E does not change that above information.

The load carrying ability of tires is in direct relation to the contact patch of the tire and inflation PSI. The tire size will slightly change the contact patch but not by a huge amount. In the majority of cases it won't be affected more than 5 PSI unless there is a huge change in tire size. This leaves inflation pressure. In order to increase the load capability of the tire, it is constructed to allow a higher inflation pressure. This does not by itself require the increase in pressure in an unloaded truck. They only require higher PSI in order to carry the higher load rating.

Last edited by Derff96963; 01-18-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same tire size, but they are E-rated, and they are too "mushy / soft" to run them at the recommended psi (I think 35). They do much better at 45 or 50 psi, which is about 1/2 of the max psi.

Quick Reply: E load rating tire pressure thread