Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynolock Tailgate lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Dynolock Tailgate lock

Anyone have one fail? It looks like if this thing quits in the locked position I'm screwed. I have 2 emails into the company and no reply. They got my cash already, their done with me. Oh yeah, and I have a G2 Bakflip on it so going in while the tailgate is closed aint gonna happen.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

Well I can't speak directly for this particular brand lock, since they don't show a pic on their website. However, I did install a kit that I bought from a local best buy, and it only cost 29.00!!!

But, if your kits works the same, then you have nothing to worry about. The actuator installs inside the tailgate panel, and locks the gate no differently han your key would. If you look inside, you will find a small plastic piece that moves when you cycle your key to lock the gate. The electric actuator will attach to that piece, and gets its electrical signal from your lock/unlock circuit. Basically, it is no different than using your key to cycle the locking tab.

So, if you still have a key cylinder in your tailgate handle, you are fine. You can even close the gate when it is in the locked position, it has no affects in that regard. If the system failed, you can open with your key, then fix it.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, but when you look at the inside of the gate you will see what I am talking about. If you have any questions let me low, and I will find a pic of mine installed.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM

this is in a chevy, but same idea. the rod goes under the handle lever. You dont use the key, just leave it unlocked and working the power door locks allows you to open the tailgate. If that rod doesnt retract, that tailgate isnt going to open. And when the tonneau is closed theres no getting to the access panel.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:42 PM

I'll try to get you a pic of mine in a few min. With the ford, you can use the key or actuator. It makes no difference!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 PM

Here is a link to a video i just made showing how mine is set up. i would imagine that yours is similar. if you attach the rod to the same point i have, you will have access either by remote, or key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Z1kGnLmci20
Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Use a hanger and slide it between the tailgate and the G2, skide it in and rotate and grab release wire and fold panel up.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by mattd17
Here is a link to a video i just made showing how mine is set up. i would imagine that yours is similar. if you attach the rod to the same point i have, you will have access either by remote, or key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Z1kGnLmci20
Thats not going to leave you stuck. I should have gone that route.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 AM
MOAR BOOST!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mattd17 -- I installed one on my truck from Pop & Lock, and mine is similar to yours. It uses the stock locking mechanism to lock and unlock the gate. But there are other, cheaper brands that dont use the locking mechanism, they just fire a metal rod under the mechanism and physically prevent you from being able to pull the handle (even though the key-lock is still in the unlocked position). I think this guy has the latter type, in which case he's pretty screwed if the actuator goes out because you can lock and unlock with a key all day but the rod will still be jammed under the handle.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Skandocious
mattd17 -- I installed one on my truck from Pop & Lock, and mine is similar to yours. It uses the stock locking mechanism to lock and unlock the gate. But there are other, cheaper brands that dont use the locking mechanism, they just fire a metal rod under the mechanism and physically prevent you from being able to pull the handle (even though the key-lock is still in the unlocked position). I think this guy has the latter type, in which case he's pretty screwed if the actuator goes out because you can lock and unlock with a key all day but the rod will still be jammed under the handle.
Perhaps he did order the latter type, however for his sake i hope not. I do wonder though, if he could possibly modify his to perform as ours does. I guess the advantage to the other style is that someone couldnt break in with a screwdriver.

Thanks for bringing this point to light. Hopefully he gets it working good!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 AM

I ordered a universal actuator last night. The Dynolock looks really beefy, but I dont want to use it with my tonneau. I'll put the Dynolock on eBay and see if I can get something for it. If someone wants in bad enough, Dynolock or a tonneau isnt going to stop anyone.

Quick Reply: Dynolock Tailgate lock