Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving with 4A selected

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:45 AM

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Driving with 4A selected

Ok i have read the book a dozen or so times
it does not clearly state if the 4w system is engaged the whole time in 4A.
It seems that the 4w system engages as required if wheel slip is detected and the transfer case is not locked

my concern is we have been having ice and mud on the roads and they are slick
a few times now in the 4A position it will jump or make weird noises when the tire slips then quiet down as if the system was engaging or dis engaging
is there a differential in the 2speed automatic transfer case like in a quadratrac jeep that is open in the 4A mode but then locks in the 4H position

one would think if it operates like an all wheel drive system, then the book would say that and make it easier on us old dudes
we have pretty much left it in 4A now for the last three weeks, no noticeable drop in mpg, and maybe a bit of tq steer every now and then
Old 12-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've noticed with mine in 4A on icy/snowy conditions the traction control constantly kicks in especially around corners.
It does it so much I never use it and just use STD 4X4
Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

I have been using it for the last few days as we currently have some packed snow / icy conditions. I am finding the same thing, when i accelerate from a stop, i can feel the rear wheels briefly slip, then a engagement noise, and the front tires start to pull. I can't figure out whether all four wheels are always engaged, so to be safe i flip it back to 2H when on sections of road that are bare pavement.

Like cameronskidoo, I'm finding I have more confidence by just switching to 4H.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I wish Ford would put the 4A system standard on every 4WD F150.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by celltech

You know they got to charge for every bell/whistle. I haven't used my 4A or 4H yet. Nice to know if I do there is some noise associated with it. My wife has AWD on her Subaru,, its always engaged why cant the F150 do the same. But I see myself going to 4H if the roads get slick or snow, there calling for today, I might actually try it for first time.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

don't want it and wish I had a lever activated system as well
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by powerboatr
Ok i have read the book a dozen or so times
it does not clearly state if the 4w system is engaged the whole time in 4A.
It seems that the 4w system engages as required if wheel slip is detected and the transfer case is not locked

my concern is we have been having ice and mud on the roads and they are slick
a few times now in the 4A position it will jump or make weird noises when the tire slips then quiet down as if the system was engaging or dis engaging
is there a differential in the 2speed automatic transfer case like in a quadratrac jeep that is open in the 4A mode but then locks in the 4H position

one would think if it operates like an all wheel drive system, then the book would say that and make it easier on us old dudes
we have pretty much left it in 4A now for the last three weeks, no noticeable drop in mpg, and maybe a bit of tq steer every now and then
Yep it does work like a all wheel drive however since it has the traction and stability control it make it much worse for a smooth feel! Look at it as the first ABS system you ever drove with, remember the first time you hit the brake and thought the car was having a fit? well now you are use to it and so you will have to get use to traction, stability and auto 4WD, I too am like others that want to drive the truck myself and don't need the damn truck to be a back seat driver or worse yet, a drivers ed driver taking over the wheel!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

so i take it the noise we hear in rapid succession and all that is just the relays? It sure makes a heck of a racket.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:15 PM

Received 221 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by celltech
X2. I came from a base LT 12 Silverado and it had 4A. My 13 loaded FX4 does not. I wouldn't trade trucks for this reason or anything. But if don't get why a base truck would have it and not a loaded high trim. I'm in Canada and getting a fair amount of snow now so I throw it in 4x4. Nice thing is in 4x4 vs 4A is I can feel all the power where in 4A I couldn't. I just like 4A cause you can leave it on when the conditions change where as 4x4 you must disengage if the conditions clear up to keep components healthy. Turing can also be difficult in 4x4
Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf_FX4
X2. I came from a base LT 12 Silverado and it had 4A. My 13 loaded FX4 does not. I wouldn't trade trucks for this reason or anything. But if don't get why a base truck would have it and not a loaded high trim. I'm in Canada and getting a fair amount of snow now so I throw it in 4x4. Nice thing is in 4x4 vs 4A is I can feel all the power where in 4A I couldn't. I just like 4A cause you can leave it on when the conditions change where as 4x4 you must disengage if the conditions clear up to keep components healthy. Turing can also be difficult in 4x4

Yep being in MN its snowy and icy off and on all winter. Intersections are often icy and having auto would be great for this constant change in conditions.

Quick Reply: Driving with 4A selected