Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side mirror glass popping off

Old 05-25-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Driver side mirror glass popping off

Lately, the glass on my driver's side mirror has been popping off when I close the door. It has happened 3 times in the last few weeks.
Luckily, the connections were intact and none of the plastic tabs were broken so I've been able to pop it back into place. But if it keeps doing this eventually something's gonna break.

Anyone else having this issue? It seems to happen when I have the mirrors folded in before shutting the door.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Push the mirror on harder... But not too hard or you will break it.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by kobayashi maru
Lately, the glass on my driver's side mirror has been popping off when I close the door. It has happened 3 times in the last few weeks.
Luckily, the connections were intact and none of the plastic tabs were broken so I've been able to pop it back into place. But if it keeps doing this eventually something's gonna break.

Anyone else having this issue? It seems to happen when I have the mirrors folded in before shutting the door.
Are you sure the motor isn't broken? Did you hit the mirror on anything? The back of the mirror should look similar to this when it pops off.

Last edited by Chad Walker; 05-29-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:59 PM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

After I did the blinker mod, my fell out too. Thankfully the wires held from falling.
I realized when I thought that it was completely clipped in, was that I didn't center the motor, so only a couple of the clips were holding it.

So my only advice is to make sure that motor is dead center and press in the middle making a small circle with your fingers. It shouldn't have any loose feel to it afterwards.
You might know all this already.

Last edited by Masi1926; 05-30-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Press it on again from dead center of the mirror, probably only a clip or too not seated on the round motor mount.

I broke my drivers side mirror about a year ago only the glass thank goodness, not the housing backing into my garage. I tell you what Ford is proud of those dimming / heated mirrors for sure.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Next time I will make sure to center the motor before pushing it back in. I guess the first time was a fluke cause I have never removed my mirror before.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:49 AM
American member

Originally Posted by Heel70
Press it on again from dead center of the mirror, probably only a clip or too not seated on the round motor mount.

I broke my drivers side mirror about a year ago only the glass thank goodness, not the housing backing into my garage. I tell you what Ford is proud of those dimming / heated mirrors for sure.
That's for sure. Ridiculously proud!!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:04 AM

So today the driver's side mirror motor starting acting up. It was pointed down and I could only adjust it upward about halfway. At that point it stops and stutters, making a bit of a snapping sound like it's reached the end of it's travel but is still trying.
So I pulled off the glass, centered the motor and re-mounted it but it still doesn't want to adjust up far enough. Thoughts?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:21 AM
American member

If you pop off the mirror and manually center the motor does it move up with the switch?
You may have to push it back down manually then see if it will move up by the switch.
It might be at it's limit. That noise sounds like the same normal noise or makes when it's held too long in any direction.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by masitile
If you pop off the mirror and manually center the motor does it move up with the switch?
You may have to push it back down manually then see if it will move up by the switch.
It might be at it's limit. That noise sounds like the same normal noise or makes when it's held too long in any direction.
Yea I managed to finagle it back into normal operating range. I removed the glass and started pushing the motor by hand to its limits on all sides. Then I re-centered it and mounted the glass. Almost felt like I was breaking it but it seems to work again, for now at least.

Search this Thread