Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilled and slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Drilled and slotted rotors

So after a close call on the road the other day, i think I've finally killed my factory front brakes because every time I come to a stop, i get a horrible metal-on-metal sound. So I've decided to put Baer drilled and slotted rotors. Mostly because they look awesome but also because they're better ventilated.
I'll be sure to post pictures of the before and after because I haven't seen it done yet (mind you I haven't been looking too much) and wouldn't mind hearing some feedback about it.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I own two BMWs... I wasted a lot of money on drilled and slotted rotors for them over the years. They do not offer any more braking capacity than solid rotors but the solid rotors will last longer and do not wear pads out as fast AND the solid rotors are much stronger. I have saw drilled and slotted rotors crack in the slots.

Now if you were on a track and were running a very aggessive pad and needed super brakes and money was no object then that would be a great choice.

BUT... they do look cool.

Greg
The following 2 users liked this post by Blue_76:
21RRF150 (03-27-2013), Rok (04-05-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Well... I had never gotten them before on any of my vehicles so, i figured I'd try it out. I guess if i learn not to buy them again, it'll be the hard way. I'm still pretty excited to see how they look.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Blue stated earlier, don't waste your money. Sure they will help you around a race track at full out but I do not think you will see the performance increase on the street in a truck. I too have wasted much $ on my audi's for no reason. And yes they all crack under extreme use. I've tried different name brands and all the same. The worse were the cheap Chinesium half price crap.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Drilled rotors will crack. I prefer slotted and dimpled. And I've had them on every vehicle I own and I've never noticed any accelerated pad wear. I've never worn out a set of slotted and dimpled or stock rotors for that matter. The only way to gain better stopping power is larger rotors, higher piston count calipers, and better pads.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the drilled/slotted rotors on my 350Z and painted the calipers while I was at it. They looked great and added a little stopping power. Now as for stopping power on the big trucks I couldn't tell you but they sure look good. Go for it I say.
Attached Thumbnails Drilled and slotted rotors-img_1107-1-.jpg   Drilled and slotted rotors-img_1101-1-.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 06:11 PM

I'll also be using factory callipers on mine, i was just going to use some black BBQ paint. What paint did you use?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I have them in my Z06, definitely a big difference! But its not a 3ton truck either!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM

Haha
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the Duplicolor caliper paint and primer that you can get from most part stores.

These are the steps I used to get them painted.

1. Jack vehicle/take tire off (obviously)

2. Have plenty of newspaper,towels, and painters tape on hand. I draped and taped off around fenders for possible over spray. You will also need a bucket of soapy water and SOS pads.

3. Most calipers are very dirty and cleaning them will take quite a bit of time. Patience and persistence is required when you do this. (You were warned)

4.Wipe off as much grit and grime you possibly can with a dry cotten towel. After that, soak the SOS pad and start scrubbing. I did pull the caliper away and removed pads before I cleaned. Forgot to mention that. After cleaning, use a piece of wire or ball up a towel and hang or set the caliper on top of rotor to dry. (Don't let the caliper dangle loose with the hose) As that one is drying go to the other side and repeat.

5. Once the caliper is dry, tape up more newspaper in fender well and over rotor to prevent over spray. Spray a coat of primer (I used gray) and then spray the other caliper with primer while the other one is drying.

6. I sprayed about three light coats on each caliper with the black Duplicolor until I was satisfied with how it looked. You dont want it to drip.

7. Once the caliper paint dried I placed the 350Z stickers (bought from eBay) on the calipers. I was going to shoot a coat of clear to seal the stickers but didn't have any so I borrowed my wife's clear acrylic nail polish and that worked.

8. Install pads and bolt caliper back on. Install tires and be proud of what $20 or less in materials will enhance the look of your truck!

To make things easier I did two rotors one day and did the other two the next day. Paint drying times will take most of your day when doing this.

The calipers still looked great after 4 months. I traded my Z in on my Ford I have now and thinking of doing this again.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Drilled and slotted rotors