Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double door pull in heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 04:00 AM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

Question Double door pull in heat

Recently started experiencing this. When over 28c can press unlock multiple times but it takes two pulls of the handle to open. I know this is a known issue, through multiple models. Does anyone know or have pics of exactly what is failing and a fix. I know a new latch will fix, but for how long? Can we get a owner fix as I am sure the latch will be replaced but after time will fail again. Sorry to repeat but what exactly is failing and pics would be great for us all.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

My 2013 did it every time above 90 degrees. I took it in under warranty but the Ford dealer could not duplicate the problem, so they did nothing. Warranty ran out and I was stuck with it.

Min was single pull in Winter, double pull in Summer. Other have had their handle assemblies replaced, etc.

I installed some new door speakers last year and decided to try and fix it myself if it was something simple. I reached in behind the plastic door liner and twisted the cable connection at the handle a few times and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My 09 used to do this and then they issued a recall and after i took it in it has never done it once
Old 07-24-2015, 07:57 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

My 12 just started doing this recently with the p.s. front door! Theres a recall for the issue?
Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine did it and I took multiple videos of it because I knew the dealer would not be able to duplicate it. Of coarse the dealer could not duplicate the double pull. Showed him the videos and it was fixed no questions asked
Old 07-25-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Default Double door pull in heat

Originally Posted by caperj
Recently started experiencing this. When over 28c can press unlock multiple times but it takes two pulls of the handle to open. I know this is a known issue, through multiple models. Does anyone know or have pics of exactly what is failing and a fix. I know a new latch will fix, but for how long? Can we get a owner fix as I am sure the latch will be replaced but after time will fail again. Sorry to repeat but what exactly is failing and pics would be great for us all.
My 2011 platinum does this but only the rear passenger door kinda weird
Old 07-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

My 2013 FX4 also did it after 6 months of owning it. Took it in under warranty and it was fixed for about another 6 months before it happened again.

Then I decided to pull the door panel myself and fix it correctly. The door panel comes off in about 5 minutes and then you can adjust the red threaded plastic clip that the latch bar is attached to. You open the clip, move the bar a few threads down and re-lock the red clip. Now its single pull again every time and its 100F in Texas right now.
Once you pull the door panel off (Youtube videos shows how) you peel back the black plastic sound liner. Just behind the handle on the inside you can follow the lock bar down with a flashlight and see the bright red adjustable clamp. Its adjustable for this very reason. You do not need to replace any latch or door handle, its all adjustment and total time is about 20 minutes to do it correctly. My truck is still under warranty but its so easy to do and I know I will do it with more care than the service guy its just not worth the wasted trip and day to go to the dealer.
As side note its only ever happened to the drivers door at least in my truck. Sorry I don't have pics to help but when I work I don't like stopping to document. Besides, if you pull the door panel and look inside behind the handle you will very easily see the threaded bar and red clamp so it becomes obvious what is adjustable.
Hope this helps someone.
Danny
The following 2 users liked this post by dannytexas:
bhesse (01-19-2016), LOP (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same thing happened on my '13 Platinum but only on the driver door. Didn't pay attention to see if it was temp related or not. I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the door assembly and it's been fine ever since.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe the recall was for the latch failing in accidents causing the door to swing open but they had to replace all of my latches and locking mechanism
Old 07-25-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is a pic of the plastic clip dannytexas is referring to. I just pulled the outer door handle out a very little bit and then reclipped the rod. I marked the rod with a Sharpie so that I had a reference point. Haven't had a double pull since.
Attached Thumbnails Double door pull in heat-20150712_174057.jpg  

Quick Reply: Double door pull in heat