Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Ajar light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Ajar light stays on

Hello everyone,
I have a '10 f150 s-crew XLT 4x4
I know this is a well discussed issue and several remedies are listed within the forum but none have worked yet.
A little bit of history
Rear driver side door lock stopped working. Being that I just successfully replaced one in a 2000 Exp I immediately figured that was the problem and replaced it, however it still didnt work. I then read about the wires breaking at the pillar connector. I took a good look at the pillar connector and discovered that there were several damaged and broken wires. I repaired those the best I could but they were damaged real close to the connector itself which made the repair more of a band-aid at best. That fixed the door lock actuator issue and and everything looked good. Then I noticed the door ajar light coming on. Since the harness was patched together I figured the wires were still damaged so I picked up a harness (new). Now I have a new harness and actuator AND the door ajar issue.. Since I still had the old actuator and harness on the bench I did a continuity check on the Gr and Bl/Y CAN wires at the actuator connector. It showed the door switch was properly opening and closing (grounding out) with the latch.
I've run out of ideas on what to check now. Seems like it is something upstream of the pillar connector? any ideas ?

any thoughts are appreciated
Old 03-23-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Pull the bottom trim panel on the drivers door opening and check the wiring for breaks, lots of water and salt likes to sit on that harness and causes issues.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Get Forscan and a usb obdii dongle to pinpoint which door switch is showing open, that will narrow down what circuit to examine.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery

Disconnect the battery
Old 03-23-2018, 07:05 PM

The Door Ajar shows the rear left door, Are you suggesting that it could be another door instead?
Old 01-26-2019, 06:58 PM

Default Fixed or no?

Originally Posted by jmcconne
Hello everyone,
I know this is a well discussed issue and several remedies are listed within the forum but none have worked yet.
A little bit of history
Rear driver side door lock stopped working. Being that I just successfully replaced one in a 2000 Exp I immediately figured that was the problem and replaced it, however it still didnt work. I then read about the wires breaking at the pillar connector. I took a good look at the pillar connector and discovered that there were several damaged and broken wires. I repaired those the best I could but they were damaged real close to the connector itself which made the repair more of a band-aid at best. That fixed the door lock actuator issue and and everything looked good. Then I noticed the door ajar light coming on. Since the harness was patched together I figured the wires were still damaged so I picked up a harness (new). Now I have a new harness and actuator AND the door ajar issue.. Since I still had the old actuator and harness on the bench I did a continuity check on the Gr and Bl/Y CAN wires at the actuator connector. It showed the door switch was properly opening and closing (grounding out) with the latch.
I've run out of ideas on what to check now. Seems like it is something upstream of the pillar connector? any ideas ?

Did you figure this out? I too just replaced actuator and wiring harness in rear driver door in my 2012 and it still says door ajar on my rear drivers door. This is annoying. I'm checking the drivers drivers door tonight.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:34 AM

I have also disconnected battery for this. All new wiring harness in door and door lock actuator have been installed. My battery is weak, but still starts fine. Does it need to be reset with computer? Wish I just had a little button like all my old cars.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 PM

Default Find anthing

I am having same issue with my 2012 eco ...changed door latch and harness and it's still on ...thx
Old 04-23-2019, 01:30 PM
SEB

Default Bad wiring harness

Had this same issue just before a complete meltdown of the wiring harness. Wife was driving and she was able to get my son out and call 911. She quickly disconnected the battery which saved the truck. FD pulled all the side and floor panels and the entire harness from the fuse box to the rear door was melted and carpet burned. Check your wiring or better yet, go to the dealer and have it checked. Not worth someone being injured or worse.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by jmcconne
Hello everyone,
A little bit of history

I've gone through the same exact thing that you described. Did you ever find a fix? I replaced the wire harness and the latch assembly and still have the dreaded Left Rear Door AJAR indicator. Any update would be much appreciated! Thx

Quick Reply: Door Ajar light stays on