Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your Insurance Cover Your Mods/Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

Default Does your Insurance Cover Your Mods/Upgrades?

I called my insurance company today to see if they would cover my OEM upgrades (HID's, Raptor Wheels, Raptor Boards and some other stuff).

They said nope! They will only cover what the truck came with from the factory.

Replacing this stuff wouldn't be cheap if I had a loss.

I asked If I could get a Rider and they said no to that also. What are you guys doing to cover your upgrades, if anything?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by MT-Ford
I called my insurance company today to see if they would cover my OEM upgrades (HID's, Raptor Wheels, Raptor Boards and some other stuff).

They said nope! They will only cover what the truck came with from the factory.

Replacing this stuff wouldn't be cheap if I had a loss.

I asked If I could get a Rider and they said no to that also. What are you guys doing to cover your upgrades, if anything?
Get a new insurance company. Mine covers aftermarket and accessories up to a limit I agreed upon with my agent. Extra charge of course, but it's covered.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Got into a wreck before Christmas, my fault, and I had a $2,000 personal protection policy on my truck along with a $500 deductible. Iwas able to replace my Raptor Retrofits, Morimoto XB fogs & some other minor things.. I love AAA!!!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Wondering Around

Originally Posted by soaringfalcon
Get a new insurance company. Mine covers aftermarket and accessories up to a limit I agreed upon with my agent. Extra charge of course, but it's covered.
Mind if I ask what insurance company you have? I have State Farm and am surprised that they won't cover this. They have been a good company for the most part.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Wondering Around

Originally Posted by CHICKS
Got into a wreck before Christmas, my fault, and I had a $2,000 personal protection policy on my truck along with a $500 deductible. Iwas able to replace my Raptor Retrofits, Morimoto XB fogs & some other minor things.. I love AAA!!!
Hard to beat AAA.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Most only cover up to a certain amount. I called mine to see about adding coverage to all the mods 10K+ worth of mods and they told me they can only go up to whatever amount, I remember what it was but it was much less than 10K. I said ok ill get it for what you can offer, they then said sorry since we cant cover all of it we wont cover some of it.

When I had my red truck I had 18K worth of mod receipts when I totaled it due to a drunk driver and I was told they will not cover ANY of them because the person that was at fault didn't have enough insurance.

Wayne
Old 02-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by MT-Ford
Mind if I ask what insurance company you have? I have State Farm and am surprised that they won't cover this. They have been a good company for the most part.
I currently have Progressive. $1,000 is included in my policy under comprehensive and collision and I purchased $5,000 more on the Additional Custom Parts and/or Equipment (ACPE) coverage, for a total coverage of $6,000. You must have comprehensive and collision to purchase the ACPE.

My old insurance company, that was a bit more expensive, had the coverage up to $10k.

In all cases you must present the customization receipts to get reimbursed. They will not take market value for it, and some will also calculate depreciation on it if applicable.
The following users liked this post:
MT-Ford (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I deal with this every day, working at a body shop.

Depends on a lot of factors. Like your location. How state farm works in your state, will differ from how they work in my state. Also your level of coverage. Or if you can get a rider on your coverage.

Typically, insurance companies are to return your vehicle to "pre-accident condition. " That includes mods. But, nowadays they are cutting things down. There are barely insurance adjusters anymore. Because I do 1/2 their job now, with pictures and writing supplements.

Example. We currently have an 04-08 generation f150 at my shop with a street scene style body kit on it. Owner has state farm. Mostly only the body kit pieces were damaged. We are still waiting on the front bumper actually. It's 3 weeks out. Fully covered. That was its condition pre-accident.

However, we have a 2014 Dodge challenger srt that we are doing a custom paint job on. Owner has Farmers insurance. If she gets in an accident with the custom paint. Farmers will only cover up to $1000. Unless she gets a rider on her insurance.

Like I said it depends on a lot of factors. I've seen it go both ways.
The following 2 users liked this post by 21RRF150:
MT-Ford (02-09-2016), Ricktwuhk (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

I have Nationwide in TX and all of their policies include up to $1,500 in aftermarket parts or accessories by default. I have a fair amount more and increased it to account for some other extras I have, but for only a few dollars a month.

I have actually had a claim last year that involved damaged aftermarket parts. Never a doubt or question if it was covered and it was 100% taken care of.
MT-Ford (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

USAA states they cover it all. There can be some adjustment for previous damage or age.
MT-Ford (02-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Does your Insurance Cover Your Mods/Upgrades?