Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need 4wd?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Do I really need 4wd?

I am trying to decide what truck to purchase. I am trying to decide what is most important to me (XLT or FX4/FX2, 2wd or 4wd, SCab or SCREW, Eco or 5.0, etc).

I also own a 2007 Toyota 4runner 2wd. I have driven it in snow up to 5" numerous times. It actually does pretty well. I did have to use "AUTO LSD" once because I was on a hill and was at a complete stop and need some extra traction. The Auto LSD is not a real LSD but I think it pulsed the brakes really fast and trys to act like a LSD.

Everytime I have to drive in the snow (a couple times per year at most), I kick myself for not buying the 4x4.

So if money was no object, I would buy a SCREW 4x4 with Ecoboost but unless I can get a great deal, I am going to have to either go with a SCab or a 4x2.

SO... I see that you can get the F150 in 2wd with a locking diff or a limited slip.
Would getting 2wd with LSD or Locking diff be noticably better in the snow than my 2wd 4runner?
How much better is a 4wd with open differentials than a 2wd with locking differentials?

I don't go off roading but would probably a handful of times per year if I had 4x4.
I live in Georgia so I do not get much snow if any.
I may move to the Northeast in the next 5 years.
I travel to PA and NJ once per year in the winter so I do have to drive in the snow once per year.
I am married with 1 child but will hopefully have another soon so a SCREW is preferred to a SCab.

BTW I grew up in PA so I have driven my fair share in snow.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my F150 a month ago and since this has been such a mild winter 4x4 was hardly needed. However had this been a winter like last years winter 4x4 would have been used much more. This is my first truck, unlike you. I didn't like how easily the back tires broke lose and slipped around. 4x4 is one of those things you never wish you didn't have, unlike 4x2. I see you are budget conscious, what about a used truck? I would have loved a 2012 but in reality they were way too much. The 2010 has all the options I wanted at a price that was in my budget. Plus I believe resale is better with a 4x4.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with a 4x4. Even if you only need it a few times a year, having the peace of mind that your wife and kid will be safe when driving in snowy weather is worth the little extra money. And if your planning on moving back up to the NE then you will deff need a 4x4 with the winters we can get here! I only use my 4x4 in the snow a few times a year but that's because I'm so used to driving in it that I don't get worried but if it's bad enough I have the peace of mind to turn that switch and make the ride for my family that much more safe. I'd pay 30 grand extra just for 4x4 if I had to. But this is just my opinion of course. The only negative I can see from buying a 4x4 is the little extra up front cost but in the end it will be worth more on resale, so it's a toss up
Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Canadian Forces

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an SCab and am quite pleased with the amount of room in the back seat. The backwards opening doors open up more than my similar styled Ram does too. I'd go for the 4x4 myself.

But I live in Eastern Canada and we see quite a bit of snow,(except this year) I also got an LSD to make my 4x4 a little more capable. Total price for the XLT SCab with a 3.7 and limited slip was $31,000. So an Ecoboost can't be more than 2K more?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I think you answered your own question. If you're asking you want it so buy it. Easy
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 AM

This isn't meant to be obstinate, but if you have to consider whether you need 4x4, then you probably don't.

Living in GA., unless you plan to do a lot of off-roading, it's going to be overkill for your needs.
I can't be certain, but I doubt in that area, 4x4 versus 2x4 wouldn't make enough difference come trade in time, to make the initial investment worth it.

Here in Montana, 4x4 is pretty much standard...if you go to any dealer, you either purchase a 4x4, or have to special order if you want 2x4....then, if you every try to trade in a 2x4 truck, forget it.....they will simply tell you "If it's a 2x4 truck, we won't accept it as a trade-in."

It boils down to what YOU want, but from what you explained, I don't think you'd realize much benefit from 4x4.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Because it snows maybe 0-3 times a year here in NC and I don't go off road I've never been able to talk myself into spending the extra money for a 4x4. Sure it would be nice once and a while but I certainly don't need a 4x4. When it does snow I've always managed to get around in my 2wd. It hasn't snowed since I got the F-150 but I did fine with 2 S-10s and a Dakota. All 3 were 2wd.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Nuthin' up my sleeves...

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in northern NJ and this winter has been a joke, but around here I usually drive in snow, mud, sand, etc... I can't imagine myself owning a pickup that's 2WD.

Also, I've been on plenty of boat ramps that I needed to switch over to 4WD to pull the boat up. I needed the extra traction on a slick ramp with 4 or 5 thousand pound coming out of the water.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:35 AM
FN SWT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't buy a 2WD truck, no matter where a lived. Sure, you may not need it from a weather stand point, but you will always have it if, and when you do need it. Buying a 2WD truck is like buying a mustang or a camaro with a V6...I just don't get it.

My $.02
Old 03-09-2012, 09:39 AM

It's also useful for towing in some circumstances.

Once I stopped on an uphill gravel road into a campground with a 27' travel trailer. I couldn't get going again in 2WD; just ended up throwing stones at my trailer. I put it in 4WD and away we went.

Another time, I was pulling a trailer out of a site onto a steep uphill access road. When the nose of the truck got to the access road, it tilted the truck chassis and took load off the inner rear tire. Again, I couldn't get traction in 2WD (and this was with a LSD rear). Again, put it in 4WD and away we went.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I really need 4wd?