Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a vacuum gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Do I need a vacuum gauge?

Ok so I have a ecoboost and I have the roush boost gauge that also shows vacuum. My other gauges are ford racing and I want to make them match. Here is where I am going with this. Ford racing has a boost only gauge for about 80 bucks, they have a vac/boost gauge for 250-300 that comes with a map sensor and wiring harness. The roush one you just hook the vac line right up to it as the same for the boost only ford racing one. So my question is what is the advantage of having the vac reading as well. I normally never really pay attention to that just the boost. I just make sure the vac stays about the same. I know on most trucks that get a boost gauge you just get a boost gauge and not both. So those of yal that understand what I am asking feel me in with your knowledge and do I need both? I mean technically I guess I don't need either but a boost gauge is mandatory for me.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

On my boosted F-150 I ran a mechanical Vac/Boost gauge. Vacuum is something good to look when driving if your trying to maximize you fuel mileage. The more vacuum you have when cruising the better fuel mileage you will get.

The price difference that your describing is the difference between mechanical and electrical. Mechanical is where you run a hose from the engine into the cab and into the back of the gauge. The electrical runs a hose to a sending unit and the sending unit sends the signal to the gauge so only wires go to the gauge.

Personally I like mechanical Vac/Boost gauges. All other gauges SHOULD be electrical if mounted in the cab!

Wayne
Old 10-11-2015, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z7What
On my boosted F-150 I ran a mechanical Vac/Boost gauge. Vacuum is something good to look when driving if your trying to maximize you fuel mileage. The more vacuum you have when cruising the better fuel mileage you will get.

The price difference that your describing is the difference between mechanical and electrical. Mechanical is where you run a hose from the engine into the cab and into the back of the gauge. The electrical runs a hose to a sending unit and the sending unit sends the signal to the gauge so only wires go to the gauge.

Personally I like mechanical Vac/Boost gauges. All other gauges SHOULD be electrical if mounted in the cab!

Wayne
Where did you tap into for your gauge by the way
Old 10-11-2015, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Marco Kill
The truck I was speaking about was my 2003 with a Lightning Motor, I just T'ed off the boost port on the side of the midplate.

Wayne
Old 10-11-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Z7What

Wayne
Let me ask you this, the ford racing boost vac is obviously electrical, I already have the vac hose in the truck going to the roush gauge. Is there any reason the sending unit and wiring harness couldn't be mounted in the cab if I went that route. Also I think the ford racing boost only is mechanical.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:38 PM

Also I have been kind of doing what you said with the mpg but I keep the boost below 5 and it gets great mileage that way.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 892 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco Kill
Depends on year... 11 and 12 is at the back passenger side between the intake manifold and check valve. The 13 and 14 trucks are different, and I'm not sure since I have an 11.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki14258
Let me ask you this, the ford racing boost vac is obviously electrical, I already have the vac hose in the truck going to the roush gauge. Is there any reason the sending unit and wiring harness couldn't be mounted in the cab if I went that route. Also I think the ford racing boost only is mechanical.

No reason at all you cant do that. I did that with a set up gauges I installed on a truck I do a lot of work on. The first set of gauges he had me install had a mechanical Vac/Boost, few months later he wanted to go with a different set of gauges and that one was electrical. Since I already ran the hose into the cab I just mounted the sending unit under the dash for a much easier install.

Wayne
Old 10-11-2015, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
Depends on year... 11 and 12 is at the back passenger side between the intake manifold and check valve. The 13 and 14 trucks are different, and I'm not sure since I have an 11.
Thanks I own a 12 I'll be looking for it. I also want a mechanical gauge in mine
Old 10-11-2015, 11:23 PM

I went ahead and bought the boost/vac ford racing gauge so my roush one will be for sale in a week or so. I got a deal to good to pass up. OCD sucks, everything has to match!

Quick Reply: Do I need a vacuum gauge?