Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need new brakes? If so which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need new brakes? If so which way to go?

Hey all, I just got my first truck a few months ago a 12 Plat EB long bed and I've learned a TON on this site! So much so that I just ordered all kind of stuff which is all getting put on mid next week and the wife isn't too happy I found this forum!. Anyway, part of what I got going on is a BDS 6" lift kit with upgraded rear Fox shocks, 18x10 Moto Metal 962's and some 35" Nitto Trails. I've also added some BW flares, exhaust, CAI, and a light bar. I'm worried about the braking getting worse with the heavier wheels and tires. IMO its already soft and unresponsive but all I have to compare it to is BMWs I've recently had. I just feel like it takes forever to stop. Is there any upgrade I can do that will help and will it break the bank? I've done some brake jobs on some street cars in the past and it was crazy expensive!

Any advice or ideas would br great!

Thanks
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Confused Member

Received 497 Likes on 400 Posts

I don't know or have any advice, but I want to see pics of that truck! Before and after lift!!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by VABchRNR
Hey all, I just got my first truck a few months ago a 12 Plat EB long bed and I've learned a TON on this site! So much so that I just ordered all kind of stuff which is all getting put on mid next week and the wife isn't too happy I found this forum!. Anyway, part of what I got going on is a BDS 6" lift kit with upgraded rear Fox shocks, 18x10 Moto Metal 962's and some 35" Nitto Trails. I've also added some BW flares, exhaust, CAI, and a light bar. I'm worried about the braking getting worse with the heavier wheels and tires. IMO its already soft and unresponsive but all I have to compare it to is BMWs I've recently had. I just feel like it takes forever to stop. Is there any upgrade I can do that will help and will it break the bank? I've done some brake jobs on some street cars in the past and it was crazy expensive!

Thanks
Remember that ur driving a half ton pickup truck, not a light BMW lol. U won't need new brakes when u put on the tires and lift, it'll stop just fine. But if u really aren't happy with them,u can always upgrade to some Baer or Brembo brakes
Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks
A good set of cross drilled and slotted rotors would help with some good pads but that would set yah back about 550 or so
Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

when he says 1/2 ton, it can be a bit deceiving. your 1/2 ton truck probably weighs in the neighborhood of 6000 lbs. and it has the best brakes ever to come on a stock F150. if it can stop a trailer that weighs 11,000 lbs then it should be able to handle your bigger tires just fine.
youre expectations are WAAAAAAAYYY too high for your truck.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks
I by no means claim to be a professional in this field, but from what information I have gathered putting alift on the truck raises the trucks center of gravity. This causes more of the weight strain on the braking system along with more weight with larger tires will make the stock brakes less effective. So you are on the right track with your thought process. I know of one company by the name of EBC that manufactures brake components just for this application. They are advertised to provide more grip and brake response. I believe the pads made for trucks with larger tires are called EBC yellow stuff if I am not mistaken. Anyway I am sure there are more options out there this is just one of the company's that I am familiar with. Good luck with your lift and post up some pics after you get it installed!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPETE
when he says 1/2 ton, it can be a bit deceiving. your 1/2 ton truck probably weighs in the neighborhood of 6000 lbs. and it has the best brakes ever to come on a stock F150. if it can stop a trailer that weighs 11,000 lbs then it should be able to handle your bigger tires just fine.
youre expectations are WAAAAAAAYYY too high for your truck.
Just fyi, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton more often refer the load carrying weight of the trucks... not the weight of the truck itself... Not trying to be a jerk, so please don't take it as such..
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been eyeballing these..

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3974A0A0.aspx
Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdtiger05
I by no means claim to be a professional in this field, but from what information I have gathered putting alift on the truck raises the trucks center of gravity. This causes more of the weight strain on the braking system along with more weight with larger tires will make the stock brakes less effective. So you are on the right track with your thought process. I know of one company by the name of EBC that manufactures brake components just for this application. They are advertised to provide more grip and brake response. I believe the pads made for trucks with larger tires are called EBC yellow stuff if I am not mistaken. Anyway I am sure there are more options out there this is just one of the company's that I am familiar with. Good luck with your lift and post up some pics after you get it installed!
Not really...center of gravity has nothing to do with the braking...not really at least. The only thing that will affect the true braking capabilities of your truck are mass, available grip (before abs kicks on), and the actualy capabilites of the pads, calipers, and rotors themselves.

If you just want better feel than i would suggest a high quality pad. I have always had good look with the EBC yellows but brakes are pretty personal.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Snips
Not really...center of gravity has nothing to do with the braking...not really at least. The only thing that will affect the true braking capabilities of your truck are mass, available grip (before abs kicks on), and the actualy capabilites of the pads, calipers, and rotors themselves.

If you just want better feel than i would suggest a high quality pad. I have always had good look with the EBC yellows but brakes are pretty personal.
I agree with everything except center of gravity. It WILL effect braking to so extent as the higher it goes the more brake dive it can have thus putting more mass on the front bias.

I agree with EBC, pads and rotors will be reletivly cheap.

Keep in mind, your BMW was lighter with stiffer suspension and wide low profile tires. Your truck is the exact opposite.

Quick Reply: Do I need new brakes? If so which way to go?