Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Do I have a problem

My truck has been acting funny by stalling for a millisecond when making a sharp left turn. When to start it today and truck wouldn't start. Checked and found fuze burnt on one leg of fuel pump relay. Changed to new fuze fired right up. The only thing I have done recently was wire in red led lights into my rear tag light which should not have affected anything. Is there a possibility when moving wires around under truck to find hot wire I moved the harness that goes to the fuel pump and it has a s rape in it that shorted out.

Anyone had this issue let me know.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chains
My truck has been acting funny by stalling for a millisecond when making a sharp left turn. When to start it today and truck wouldn't start. Checked and found fuze burnt on one leg of fuel pump relay. Changed to new fuze fired right up. The only thing I have done recently was wire in red led lights into my rear tag light which should not have affected anything. Is there a possibility when moving wires around under truck to find hot wire I moved the harness that goes to the fuel pump and it has a s rape in it that shorted out.

Anyone had this issue let me know.

Thanks
check your fuel pump driver module it is located on the cross rail before your spare tire check for corrosion it's a bad place where ford located it lots of moisture and salt corrosion can damage that module I have seen it happen I work for a rental car operation......tom
Old 10-25-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by edwards99
check your fuel pump driver module it is located on the cross rail before your spare tire check for corrosion it's a bad place where ford located it lots of moisture and salt corrosion can damage that module I have seen it happen I work for a rental car operation......tom

2009 does not show having the FPDM. In checking further it is the traction control causing the problem. I now hit the switch for 5 seconds to shut it off. Mine must be set like the tilt on a pinball machine. This is one option that I do not like at all.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

this is on a 2009 f150 came directly from the service manual

2009 does not show having the FPDM. In checking further it is the traction control causing the problem. I now hit the switch for 5 seconds to shut it off. Mine must be set like the tilt on a pinball machine. This is one option that I do not like at all.
yes u do have a fuel pump delivery module I will attach a pic and info even if its not that check that module before the bad weather of winter arrives I do not know where you live but even rain can damage and corrode it unplug it and check for corrosion clean up as good as you can and apply dielectric grease if that module shorts out it will also short out your fuel pump...tom
The following users liked this post:
Barry_Vee (11-11-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by edwards99

this is on a 2009 f150 came directly from the service manual

yes u do have a fuel pump delivery module I will attach a pic and info even if its not that check that module before the bad weather of winter arrives I do not know where you live but even rain can damage and corrode it unplug it and check for corrosion clean up as good as you can and apply dielectric grease if that module shorts out it will also short out your fuel pump...tom
Thanks Tom, when o went on amazon to look they said did not fit mine so I thought I was in the clear. It is apparent I need to learn more about this truck
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 PM

Went to my local deal today. Ask for a fuel pump drive module for a 2009 F150. Parts guy gets on computer, can't find it. Goes and ask his boss, he can't come up with it. Mechanic walks by he asks him. He says look up Fuel Pump Drive Control Assembly. Well there it was. Will be in Saturday. $55.58. If thats not my problem it's cheap insurance since I am just about ready to roll over 100,000 miles.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

Make sure to post a pic of the control assembly. Curious to see how bad they get corroded.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:27 PM

Default Finally replaced

Dealer never called me so I went there yesterday and sure enough they forgot too. Replaced unit this morning took less than 10 minutes. Truck seems to have smoothed out a great deal. When I first took off still had the shudder but then it cleared up, not sure if computer had to re set to over come bad unit. Took a ten mile test run seemed to be doing well. Time will tell, heading over to Athens GA tomorrow around 400 mile round trip that should be a good test.

Not sure how to check old unit but just checking continuity, seems all but 2 of the 8 pins have continuity. Could not get a ohm reading at all. Pictures don't tell anything in the case of this style unit.
Barry_Vee (11-11-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 08:09 PM

Well that did not fix it. Finally threw and held a code. Random misfire on cylinder 8. How hard is it to put in a coil pack.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Well that did not fix it. Finally threw and held a code. Random misfire on cylinder 8. How hard is it to put in a coil pack.

Thanks
Not hard at all its just one connector and a bolt then it just pulls right out.
chains (11-13-2014)

Quick Reply: Do I have a problem