Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Bedliners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY Bedliners

Does anybody have any experience with DIY bedliner installation? Rust-o-liem, Gatorguard and Herculiner are three brands that offer DIY bedliner. Some of them are brush in as opposed to “spray in”

It is difficult for me to justify paying $500 for linex or Rhino liner and these DIY ones look like they could be done for $100 or less.

Let me know if you’ve done one and what is your review?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Your Ad Here

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

They don't hold a candle to spray-ins. The ones I have seen hurculiner and rust oleum are like textured paint. I used rustolem from a spray can in another application (non truck) and improved traction for sure but not thick enough for a truck bed in my opinion
Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

I used Herculiner in the back of a Jeep Wrangler. It was ok but faded within a few months. Then there were some chips. I had to touch up some of the chips and it looked like dark spots. You'd need more than $100 worth for a pickup bed.

There's a reason LineX and Rhino cost more. It is far superior than the DIY stuff. If my dealer didn't give me a drop-in when I bought my truck, I'd definitely go with LineX. I still might.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Look at raptor upol
Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I used Herculiner on my 98 Silverado. It failed miserably, within a few months it started to chip away, even after I did all the prep work as directed.

I ended up using a high pressure sprayer and removed it all, took it in to Linex and had it done. Well worth the extra money IMO, especially if you plan on using the truck as it's intended and put stuff back there...
Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Forget it. I put in a DualLiner and could not be happier. Yes it cost more,but it works, protects and looks better. It can be taken out when I choose to sell my truck as well. I have a company truck with a Rhino in it and it looks like......
Old 03-19-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend of mine used the Herculiner in the bed of his truck. It looked ok for a few months, but started to chip & fade. I have the LineX Premium, and could not be happier with my decision. Yeah, it costs a lot of money. But it was little effort for me to have it done, and it has a lifetime warranty for as long as I own it. This is definitely a situation where "You get what you pay for" applies.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Before i say anything....I completely AGREE with everyone above me. Yes Line-X or Rhino liners are far superior to any DIY. Especially herculiner, or any crap you'll find at autozone or something.

If i didnt get horribly quoted on a price...i wouldve done Line-X. Some dude at the state fair, quoted me $700+ on my old Chevy S-10. So i just (stupidly) assumed that my F150 wouldve been $1000+, being twice the size.

So i did mine myself. Bear in mind, i work at an auto body shop, so i had access to all the correct tools. Mine is a spray in, i used this....

http://semproducts.com/product-catal...ruckbed-liner/

it was around $200

It is extremely durable, But it was really slippery, so i went to tractor supply and got one of those dee zee rubber matts($60)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Herculiner on my old trailer for added grip in the winter... It started to chip before winter was over... So for my truck I went with inyati, a arizona company. They did fantastic work and I have had my bed filled with landscape rocks, four wheeler and dirt and no chip or fading. I didn't pay for it the dealer did but it cost them $440. Personally I wouldn't go with the DIY liners just for the sake of durability. I don't know about you but I haul a lot in my truck and don't want it ruined. What ever you choose Best of luck!

Quick Reply: DIY Bedliners