Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dime size dent on my brand new tri coat platinum. :(..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Dime size dent on my brand new tri coat platinum. :(..

So I leave my truck at my buddies house by the airport while away at work. Just makes things more convenient for me. Last time while I was gone he was mowing his lawn and a rock must of flew out and hit the front fender of my truck right by the f150 logo. the dent is hardly noticeable unless you look from the side, but its there! Its a little smaller than a dime and has a paint chip out to the bare metal thats even smaller. So he took it to the shop to get it priced for me, they said a 1000 fender and my door? have to be repainted because if they just do the fender it will look like a different color. So I want to wait and take it myself when I get home, I don't know much about body work... but it seems a bit much to me anyways.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Architect

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

At least for me, its not really a truck until the first imperfection... then I can get on with it.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 150 Likes on 117 Posts

That sucks! Just be glad the first dent is over,now you wont feel so when the next one comes.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 PM

haha yeah thats true, but I want to get it fixed because the chip is to the bare metal!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

That makes no sense to me. Paint the door so it will match the front fender?? What about the back door and the bed side?? They do not have to match??? Go figure. A good body shop should be able to match it. I agree that the entire fender should be painted tho.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol the first time I took off the spare tire I left the keys and spare tire lock plug thing on the bump and let the tail gate down to use as a bench it put a nice dent in it now it's the first thing I look at when I see the back of the truck
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint less dent repair and some touch up paint.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gw1800
Paint less dent repair and some touch up paint.
+1

More dents and chips will come and you don't want to be paying $1k every time you get a rock chip. Get some touch up paint and take care of it early (before it rusts) and you'll be good.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 PM

yeah, when I get home from work I'll take it to a few places myself. Just got off the phone with my buddy he took it to three different spots, they all said the same... I guess because the tri-coat is hard to match and the dent is so close to the door they have to do it too in order for it to blend right... I still think its stupid but will see when I get home. I have some new toys for the truck when i get home so that will keep my mind of the dent for a bit...hah
Old 07-13-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear about the dent. Like others I was relieved after the first small dent in my Tri-coat Platinum. Now that it is over I'm not as paranoid......The price seems way too expensive for a ding, but the problem with having a White Pearl/metallic color paint is they usually have to "Blend" the paint from one panel to the next so it isn't so noticible.

My wifes car was hit from behind (very minor bumper cover damage) and had to have the painted rear bumper replaced and painted, and in order to blend it, they had to paint both rear quarters and the trunk lid !!

If it is barely noticible like you said I say touch up paint or maybe the "dry ice trick" to try and pop out the ding

Quick Reply: Dime size dent on my brand new tri coat platinum. :(..