Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between 2013 Lariat & Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Differences between 2013 Lariat & Platinum

I'm working my way through a decision process and am trying to choose between the Lariat and Platinum models. I thought I'd boil down the list of differences for anyone else who might be considering a similar decision.

The X-plan pricing difference for two comparably equipped (fully loaded) models is around $5K +/-. This assumes the following "base" configs: 2013 SCREW, 6.5ft bed, 4x4, 3.73, max tow, white exterior/black interior. Here's what I've been able to gather from brochures, etc.

Platinum "upgrades" over the Lariat:

Power running boards - controlled through the LCD screen on the dash (auto, always out, always in) - this control part being a nice feature that you wouldn't have with aftermarket power steps (i.e. amp)
Glossy woodgrain finish vs matte finish
"Woodgrain" on the steering wheel
Ambient lighting
Real polished aluminum interior trim pieces vs painted sliver finish (on steering wheel, dash surround, center console, etc)
20 inch premium wheels vs 18" painted wheels (assuming stock Lariat wheels, no upgrade)
Painted bumpers vs chrome (assuming no two tone option on Lariat)
Presuming black interior, Platinum has "unique" leather, which I believe basically means slightly different stitching and "Platinum" on the top part of the front seats
Heated rear seats
Additional exterior trim pieces...body match/chrome door/bed trim, silver applique on tailgate
Tri-coat white (no option for Oxford white) - I happen to be after a white truck
Chrome tow hooks, mirror caps, door handles vs painted on the Lariat (assuming no Lariat chrome package)

Am I missing anything else that anyone else has noticed? I thought I heard at one point that the Platinums might have some sort of additional sound proofing, but not totally sure.

Anyone have any idea what the potential aftermarket value is of the two different wheel sets from experience? I know the Platinum 20" wheels would probably be in higher demand and obviously command more. My plan is to sell either set of wheels for something aftermarket, just trying to factor in this "value" to my decision process.

From a "hard" value perspective, putting Amp Powersteps on the Lariat would run around $1100, self install. If I assume a $500 value difference between stock wheels on both trucks, the potential "real" difference in cost between the models is around $3500 (obviously based off what I would do to each vehicle as far as mods, etc go)
The following users liked this post:
ggallant1 (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

It sounds like you have done your research and have this very well thought out.
We have a 2012 Lariat Plus with the chrome package. The only thing that could be improved is the REALLY fake wood on the dash....Ford could have done better there.
Otherwise, this truck is perfect. It's quiet, luxurious, powerful (EB), and it has the Tri Coat White paint, which I really like. I am glad it has the 18 inch wheels, as the 20's, I've heard, make it ride harder.
Other than the possibility of additional sound deadening, the premium to step up to the Platinum just sounds like a lot of window dressing for $3,500.
Also....ours is set up to tow a 29 foot, 9,000 pound TT, so I had to have the max tow option. Is that even available on the Platiunum??? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Last edited by Adobe2X; 10-12-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

for me the deciding factor between the two truly comes down to which interior you like better, and whether or not you like the extra trim on the platinum. I also love the power steps on the platinum, but if that's a necessity you can go aftermarket.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

are you talking a very basic Lariat model? I would at least add the Lariat Plus package.

You already pointed out most of the differences. But you forgot that for 2013, Platinum now comes standard with HID lights and Navigation. Platinum also comes standard with trailer brake controller, garage door opener, rear view camera, remote start, reverse sensors, powerfold mirrors (these things are all optional on the Lariat such as the Plus package I mentioned).

When you start adding the different options to a Lariat or even a FX4, they almost cost as much as a Platinum (or perhaps even more depending on the configuration/options).

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 10-12-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
are you talking a very basic Lariat model? I would at least add the Lariat Plus package.

You already pointed out most of the differences. But you forgot that for 2013, Platinum now comes standard with HID lights and Navigation. Platinum also comes standard with trailer brake controller, garage door opener, rear view camera, remote start, reverse sensors, powerfold mirrors (these things are all optional on the Lariat such as the Plus package I mentioned).

When you start adding the different options to a Lariat or even a FX4, they almost cost as much as a Platinum (or perhaps even more depending on the configuration/options).
Thanks for the replies. Steve, to your points specifically, I'm using a fairly fully loaded Lariat (package 502A), which includes most of the premium options (HIDs, etc). Granted, I'm not including the chrome package (MSRP of ~$1500), which would make this a bit more of an apples to apples comparison since the Platinum comes with some of the same chrome features. I excluded that because it's not something I would order with the Lariat (no sense in my case paying for chrome wheels and running boards that would ultimately be replaced), so my analysis is certainly biased towards what I'm after.

I'm also going for the EB, not that this swings anything one way or the other. Seems max trailer tow is "standard" when you go with the 3.73s, which is what I'm after anyway....
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Love to see when someone actually does research before making such a big buying decision My Lariat had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't, so it was the perfect option for me. Now, that you've done the paper research, go test drive a lot of both to see which fits you the best. Then pick and enjoy

By the way, in prior Platinums it did have more soundproofing in the cab and a thicker windshield for that as well. I imagine that is true for the 13s as well, but haven't heard. The Lariats do have more soundproofing than the lower trims but less than the Platinum.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

The Platinum also includes Memory Power Telescoping Steering Wheel. The others are manual I believe.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jweidert
Thanks for the replies. Steve, to your points specifically, I'm using a fairly fully loaded Lariat (package 502A), which includes most of the premium options (HIDs, etc).
ok, makes sense. and I didn't go check the actual prices.

but I remember back in 09 I compared fully loaded (with most option packages I wanted) Lariats and FX4's to a Platinum with Navigation and moonroof, and the Platinum was also about $3000 to $3500 more back then - so I guess the price difference hasn't changed much. I went ahead and bought the Platinum at the time, still like it to this day.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by cegan1825
Love to see when someone actually does research before making such a big buying decision
I am going to print this quote out, blow it up, and pin it above my wife's computer. My constant research and "over analyzing" drives her nuts...she thinks I'm addicted to this forum (there's probably a little truth to that).

I would probably jump on the Lariat in a heartbeat if it had the factory ambient lighting. I know there are options to add it after the fact, but the fact that the factory option is now controlled through MFT makes the factory-like integration a bit more difficult, if not impossible (even if I were to try and piece together the correct Ford parts after the fact....not sure, I doubt anyone has attempted that yet). It's stupid to hang a decision like this on such a small feature, but I'm a bells/whistles guy, and it's one of the bigger hang ups I have about the two models
Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by sticker500
The Platinum also includes Memory Power Telescoping Steering Wheel. The others are manual I believe.
Good catch....

Quick Reply: Differences between 2013 Lariat & Platinum