Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel to gas, but not sure what one to get....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diesel to gas, but not sure what one to get....

Ive had a couple F150s in the past, been amazing trucks, then I went diesel for the longest time, now Im considering going back to gas, but the more I read about the problems with the engines, the more I think about not going ford.

A buddy said a dealership told him not to get the 5.0 because it has way too many issues, I have a travel trailer so I was looking at the ecoboost, 2013-2014 is in my budget. But the timing chain issues worry me about those, and the other little things.. It has made me consider a 5.3 chevy :O But the wife and I prefer the looks of the ford.

Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 141 Likes on 135 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to look at either engine. If you're towing a lot, you might like the extra power of the EcoBoost. Also, keep in mind that the 6.2 was offered in many trims for the 2013-2014 MY's. As you know those are pretty much bulletproof and make plenty of power.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 214 Likes on 122 Posts

I know it will be a challenge but I would look for a clean 6.2L. It is the best engine for this truck. Next best would be the 5.0 I would stay away from the Ecohype engine.
The following users liked this post:
LSchicago (04-27-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 353 Likes on 230 Posts

All you're going to hear online is negatives on the ecoboost. People typically come online to post about issues they're having. If you're intended use is towing, then I'd get an eco over the 5.0 or 6.2. I thought all the hype over how well the eco tows was bogus, until I actually towed with it.

Drill a weep hole in the cac, gap the plugs to .03", change the oil with synthetic regularly, add a catch can if you desire, and then enjoy towing a 7k trailer up a 7% grade at 60+ mph at 3,500 rpms.

If you aren't towing near max or at elevation, then the 5.0 would be a great choice.

If you're worried about issues, then spring for an extended warranty for peace of mind.
The following users liked this post:
Deezil (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Deezil
A buddy said a dealership told him not to get the 5.0 because it has way too many issues,
My thought is that the second hand opinion that someone told your buddy, in an out of context discussion, without knowing the motives or knowledge of the person making the statement, has tremendous value and you should listen to it.

Of course it couldn't be that they had a bunch of ___s sitting on their lot to sell? Or the person who made the statement had zero knowledge of anything?

The 5.0 is a solid engine with a great track record. The ecoboosts are also solid engines, with more lower end torque. "Towing" with either is fine. Towing near capacity (see the Towing section of the forum to learn TRUE capacities) is much better with the proper gearing, and can be better with an Ecoboost.

Forums are full of people complaining. Rarely do people go searching for info when all is good with their purchase. And 99% of the posts are non-scientific, subjective, and in large part not worth much as far as determining the reliability of anything. Not close to a valid measurement of anything.

Do your research, determine your true towing needs (PAYLOAD, PAYLOAD, and PAYLOAD). And ignore hearsay.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

If you seek them out you will find plenty of horror stories about any engine. Test drive them all and choose the one you like. The ecoboost tows great but does not achieve the mileage listed on the sticker.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Deezil
Ive had a couple F150s in the past, been amazing trucks, then I went diesel for the longest time, now Im considering going back to gas, but the more I read about the problems with the engines, the more I think about not going ford.

A buddy said a dealership told him not to get the 5.0 because it has way too many issues, I have a travel trailer so I was looking at the ecoboost, 2013-2014 is in my budget. But the timing chain issues worry me about those, and the other little things.. It has made me consider a 5.3 chevy :O But the wife and I prefer the looks of the ford.

Thoughts?
The dealer probably didn't have any 5.0's on the lot and wanted to sell a truck...
Old 04-18-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

You will find any issue with any make and model. But I made the jump from diesel to gas 3 years ago and don't miss the diesel anymore. I really wanted a raptor, but the eco boost out ran it. So I went with the eco boost as I liked its power delivery ( diesel like low end torque ) and ability to make hp with tunes, intake ,and full exhaust.

The 5.0 is a great motor , I just don't like having to be in the upper end of the rpm band as I'm use to a diesel.

If you are going to be towing I would suggest an eco boost or 6.2, If you get an eco boost go with a 13 or newer. And if the 13 or 14 is in your price point , you may be able to get into a new left over 16 with all the rebates on them.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Blackout

Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

The 5.0's definitely have a better maintenance track record than the eco's. Honestly, coming from a diesel you'll feel very disappointed with the 5.0 imo. The eco will fill the boosted void a bit. I say this as I own both an eco and 5.0 and came from diesels. Don't get me wrong I love my 5.0, but if my next truck is an F1 it'll be an ecoboost. My advice, drive both and decide for yourself. Dealers love to push the eco over the 5.0.

If you're still towing, I would go eco.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too wondering if they were just trying to sell my buddy an eco.. He ended up getting a new chevy..

Ill look into a 16 with rebates, but I want try to stay under 30K, around here I find 13-14 ecos with 40-75K on them for $24-28K

I should be able to get around $20K out of my dodge to some kid.

Appreciate the feedback