Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I just ruin my king ranch leather? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Did I just ruin my king ranch leather? Help!

So I had a bunch of spots that looked like this:

So I used some Meguiars Gold Class leather treatment on them and they looked like this after:

Which looks.... worse. Definitely worse.

So I moved on and started trying to just use it to clean the OK spots, and it just looked, dirty/filthy. So I thought maybe I needed to clean the leather.

So I gently scrubbed a spot using the same Meguiars Gold Class because it says it also cleans, and now the spot that I cleaned looks like this:

Now its more red than brown where I cleaned, which is honestly kind of terrifying.

Are these seats toast? Do I just need to keep going? Should I just take it to a professional and pay $100's but have it done by somebody competent in these matters?

I just wanted to detail my interior! UGH!
Old 10-15-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I see it based on my previous experience with leather seats is you failed to maintain them and they dried out. I do not see where you live but my guess is a dry climate. I too did this but had help from a mutt that insisted on sitting in the front seat when we were not in the truck.

I do not think you will see this get any better. If you notice you can still see the cracks that appear to be from drying out even after you treated them. You can try Lexol. That is a leather cleaner and conditioner that is used for saddles and other western leather. It is available in auto centers now as well.

Keep treating them and see if you can get some of the color out that went in from the Meguires.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:45 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I use Lexol with good results, but I don't have any KR's. On standard grade leather it works great.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts

I do not have KR Leather, but I use nothing but 303 Aerospace Protectant on the leather in my Lariat. Still look new after 4 years in South Louisiana Heat.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:34 PM

https://leathermilk.com/
Old 10-15-2017, 07:18 PM

Alright so I did a bunch of research on my own, and here's what I've come up with and I'll let you guys tell me if I've got it right.

2009 was the last year they did the unsealed hide leather seats. Starting in 2010 they used a bonded leather construction (which is why I've had such a damn hard time with mine so far as I've been treating it like unsealed leather).

Knowing this, I called the dealership I bought it from (we've maintained a business relationship) and asked what "leather treatment" they gave it before selling it to me.

Turns out the "leather treatment" was nothing more than using shoe polish of the approximate color of king ranch leather to "treat" the leather (i.e. paint the grass green to cover up blemishes). This included nothing to clean or hydrate the leather at all.

So in fact as I was cleaning the leather, I was removing shoe polish. So it turns out that more red color is in fact that actual color that the leather is supposed to be.

I was a little miffed until I got off the phone and started searching and it turns out that using shoe polish is pretty much the only way to "repair" the leather once it gets this way, however most people suggest that you indeed clean and condition the leather before doing so, and suggest that it lasts about a year before needing to be done again, at which point you should clean and condition the leather before applying the shoe polish again.

So I think at this point my best bet is to indeed clean the leather as best I can and apply shoe polish to "repair" the leather. Being as I am definitely not qualified to do this without ruining my very expensive 10-way leather seats I've set upon a journey to find a local artisan to do the work for me.

Unless of course all of you geniuses think I can do better, which of course you probably do and hence the reason why I am posting my findings lol.

What say you?

P.S. After drying, this is how the different spots looked:

The cracked spot no longer looked cracked, but is definitely a different color and needs lots of conditioning.

The spot I cleaned looks like regular leather (of the proper color here), but without the shine and definitely needs conditioning:

Last edited by Cutless009; 10-15-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:25 PM

Default Glad you found some information

I am glad you found some further info. There is a poster on this board who seems to have a great deal of knowledge of detaling and maintenance. His name is Merlin. I wonder if he could help. He posts in the detailing section.

I for one would try it myself if is is a matter of cleaning and "redying" with shoe polish.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Cutless009 (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Waterloo Wonder
I am glad you found some further info. There is a poster on this board who seems to have a great deal of knowledge of detaling and maintenance. His name is Merlin. I wonder if he could help. He posts in the detailing section.

I for one would try it myself if is is a matter of cleaning and "redying" with shoe polish.

Good luck
Thanks man, I pinged him this thread, maybe he can shed some light on what needs to be done.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used Chemical Guy's Leather Cleaner, Conditioner, and Protector for the last 3 years. Looks and feels like new leather every time.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 PM

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

What about the king ranch cleaner? They make a special one just for this leather. I've never personally used it or had a king ranch ( always wanted one)

Quick Reply: Did I just ruin my king ranch leather? Help!