Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing black truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Detailing black truck

Hi all, just picked up my new 2013 FX4 6.2 this week! Loving it so far, it's time to be washed & detailed. I've always done this myself but have never had a black vehicle before. I've never used soap to wash, and I've always used old soft towels to dry with. Anything different you guys recommend as to detailing & cleaning black paint? Should I use any detailer or put anything on it other than occasional wax? Want to keep it clean & scratch free as I can. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 126 Likes on 37 Posts

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
The following users liked this post:
Reflections Detail (04-30-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Thanks, that's ALOT of info!!! Looks like I'll be busy
Old 04-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mattm400
Hi all, just picked up my new 2013 FX4 6.2 this week! Loving it so far, it's time to be washed & detailed. I've always done this myself but have never had a black vehicle before. I've never used soap to wash, and I've always used old soft towels to dry with. Anything different you guys recommend as to detailing & cleaning black paint? Should I use any detailer or put anything on it other than occasional wax? Want to keep it clean & scratch free as I can. Thanks.
Never used soap to wash? What am I missing?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find a trustworthy detail shop and make friends with them. I also tend to wash my mine early morning or after the sun goes down to give me time to dry my truck before it dries. Welcome to the black truck world...
Old 04-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

^^ Good point, never wash a hot/warm car. Also work from top to bottom in order to not carry debris along the truck. I drive a Black car and find myself washing or at least wiping down 3 times a week or more.
AJ
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Here, hold my beer...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whatever you do, don't use dish soap.

I know at first this may not sound like advice, but honestly, the best way is to try a bunch of different products and decide what look you like best. Some are more durable, others more easy to use, etc. They will all have their own characteristics. Just depends what you're looking for.

Aside from that, a fine clay bar can work wonders. Removes debris from the paint so you're not "sealing" it in under the wax. A flat paint surface will produce a nicer reflection. Use this before wax.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM

Thanks, I know it will keep me busy. I'm a stickler about keeping my vehicles clean. To answer pcjordan's question, I've never used soap, I keep a good coat of wax & just wash with a good soft sponge & water only. Don't know if that's good or bad, but that's what I've always done.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

First of all congrats on the truck! As far as black, here is what works for me.
I rinse the entire under carriage and paint first, making sure to get the underside rinsed completely. I also jet the hose around the nooks and crannies like the headlights, taillights, door handles etc. I have seen crap seep out under the taillights after rinsing the under carriage.
I then spray bleach white on the tires and spray a diluted simple green mixture under the wheel wells and rims. I have a bucket just for this and use car wash soap and wheel and tire brushes. After clean, I do the rinse thing all over. I use the two bucket method for the topside, one bucket with water for rinsing the microfiber mitt. I start at the top and work down from the soap bucket. After a final rinse, I use a gas powered leaf lower to dry the truck, spending lots of time around the seams. I think the mirrors hold a gallon of water! When dry, I spray the tires with shiny crap and use Lucas Slick Mist and a microfiber towel and go over the paint. Once a year it gets clay barred and Collinite 845 twice a year (planned). I've had my tuxedo black for over a year and cannot find swirl marks on it. I believe mainly due to drying with a leaf blower. Good luck. This is my last black one but it sure looks good when shined up.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 PM

I love the leaf blower idea!! I'm most concerned with fine scratches & swirls from rubbing with a towel. I'll also try the Lucas slick mist. Thanks

Quick Reply: Detailing black truck