Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

defroster not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

I have a 2011 FX2 with the back window that opens, built in defroster and heated mirrors that defrost.

Been working fine until this morning.

I know the circuit doesn't engage if the back window is not fully closed. It was a beautiful day yesterday so I had it opened.

Since then, it doesn't work. I opened and closed it several times but still no luck.

Has anyone experienced this and do you think cleaning the connection at the window would help? If so, what should I use to clean it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit: this is only for the rear window and heated mirrors (electronic)... The normal defroster for the front through the vents works fine.

Last edited by justjimmy; 09-15-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you'll find info on your problem here: https://www.f150forum.com/f12/2011-f...oblems-232381/

I'm having the same issue and I'm not liking what i'm seeing.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Better OUT then IN

Great information.

I'll look at the connectors tonight and hope for the best.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Few weeks ago mine wouldn't work. I would push the button on the dash, no light. Half way to work the light came on for a minute, then it went off...and then my rear window shattered. Apparently I am not alone either. I have since had my rear window replaced, and I have no intentions of ever using the rear defrost again.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Better OUT then IN

Originally Posted by WisTruck
Few weeks ago mine wouldn't work. I would push the button on the dash, no light. Half way to work the light came on for a minute, then it went off...and then my rear window shattered. Apparently I am not alone either. I have since had my rear window replaced, and I have no intentions of ever using the rear defrost again.
Jesus! Window shattered?

Did insurance replace it and everything worked again?

I use my defrost all the time... Lots of humidity in South Florida and I take trips to northern US in the winter.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by justjimmy
Jesus! Window shattered?

Did insurance replace it and everything worked again?

I use my defrost all the time... Lots of humidity in South Florida and I take trips to northern US in the winter.
Yea, cost $100. Window installer then broke the plastic mount for the sliding window cables. So, then I had to replace that....yea that was fun. Not sure if it works again, I have not tried...and I wont. The window shattered above where my 2 month old son was sitting. Luckily, the glass held in the frame and did not fall into the truck (other have had it explode everywhere).
Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Better OUT then IN

Yea, cost $100. Window installer then broke the plastic mount for the sliding window cables. So, then I had to replace that....yea that was fun. Not sure if it works again, I have not tried...and I wont. The window shattered above where my 2 month old son was sitting. Luckily, the glass held in the frame and did not fall into the truck (other have had it explode everywhere).
Glad your son was OK.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

So did Ford charge you the $100, or was it your insurance carrier? I ask because I don't have glass coverage on any of my vehicles.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by elfiero
So did Ford charge you the $100, or was it your insurance carrier? I ask because I don't have glass coverage on any of my vehicles.
Insurance, any glass costs $100. Dealer quoted $1000.

Contacted ford, they have "never heard of such an issue"....even though a simple google search comes up with many results. Some people got it covered under warranty, but I was 1000 miles out of bumper to bumper.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

My rear defroster quite working on my slider. My dealer said the only solution was to replace the entire rear slider. I had it done under warranty when the truck was only a year old. Hope you can convince your dealer to take care of it. Suspect you may find the only solution is a new window. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Gracie_Lou (09-15-2014)

Quick Reply: defroster not working