Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership Oil too thin? 5.0 Engine

Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Dealership Oil too thin? 5.0 Engine

I've got a 2012 F150 with the 5.0 V8, and around 20,000 miles. Engine is dead stock.

I have a tick in the motor at idle, and only when the oil is fully warm.
The tick is barely audible, but definitely metal on metal. It goes away if I rev the motor up to ~ 800 RPM. It also sometimes goes away if I simply shift into neutral, as the RPMs increase at that point, increasing oil pressure.
The tick is very noticeable if I am next to a building, like in the drive-tru line for fast food.

Oil History: I have been getting my oil changed on the 10,000 mile schedule given by trucks computer. I also get it done at the dealership. I used to change my oil myself and much more frequently, but lately I've started trying to trust the dealerships. So 5W20 semi-synthetic Ford oil.

First change at 10,000. I did have to add some oil before 10,000, I don't remember how much.

Second oil change at 17,500. I did this early because I started hearing this tick. Prior to this change for several tanks I had been using E-85, since E-85 prices have come down to stupid cheap in my area. I was afraid the E-85 had started to thin my oil, so I had it changed early. It was also exactly one quart low after 7,500 miles, so down to the low mark on the dipstick.

At 19,000 miles the tick has started up again. I have been using only gasoline in my tanks since the last oil change, so it can't be E-85 watering down my oil. I am also down about half of a quart at this point.
So I added half of a quart of 15W40 Shell oil, to try and thicken up the oil. Low and behold, the noise is gone.

Now at 20,000 miles the tick is starting back up again. I'm about to go to the dealership and see what they say.

So I am annoyed that the noise goes away when I add a thicker oil. If that's all it takes, then the main oil used at the dealership is too thin, and/or breaks down too easily.

Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

40,000km on mine and not a noise. get the dealership to check it out.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

How would gas water down your oil ???
Old 11-08-2013, 12:04 PM
USN Retired 1992-2012

Received 243 Likes on 122 Posts

Why even question the tick, take in to be fixed, why add heavier oil to mask it. FIX the problem, not the noise.

Richard
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgooden:
BCMIF150 (11-08-2013), Delz (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thoughts ? A few.... Experienced the exact same tick, symptoms, & occurrences on my '12 FX-2, 5.0 Many threads on this forum mean we're not alone. Those that took their problem to the dealer were either told, "normal---no problem evident" ; or, in a couple instances, had the engine actually replaced ! One posted pictures of his truck in the service bay of his dealership. They basically dismantled the entire front of the truck for access ! At that point, I decided to live with the tick, as it was either a non-issue mechanically, or a major headache. Just how many bolts were left loose, or not reinstalled at all on that truck ? How many scratches did the tech leave on the misaligned hood & fenders ? You get the picture....
Now, for the good news ! I left well enough alone, and with 10,000 miles, no more tick whatsoever. It's now the perfect truck---has never been back to the dealer for any problem, warranty or otherwise !
As for the oil---I switched to full synthetic about the time the tick disappeared. Coincidence ? (not likely).
The following users liked this post:
Kytann (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

The only tick I notice is the injectors. Something sounds off.
F-250,LD (11-09-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
How would gas water down your oil ???
I've often read that Ethanol will seep past the rings and water down your oil, and this is why you are supposed to change your oil more frequently when using E-85.

Could be wrong though.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by EasternAirlineKenny
Thoughts ? A few.... Experienced the exact same tick, symptoms, & occurrences on my '12 FX-2, 5.0 Many threads on this forum mean we're not alone. Those that took their problem to the dealer were either told, "normal---no problem evident" ; or, in a couple instances, had the engine actually replaced ! One posted pictures of his truck in the service bay of his dealership. They basically dismantled the entire front of the truck for access ! At that point, I decided to live with the tick, as it was either a non-issue mechanically, or a major headache. Just how many bolts were left loose, or not reinstalled at all on that truck ? How many scratches did the tech leave on the misaligned hood & fenders ? You get the picture....
Now, for the good news ! I left well enough alone, and with 10,000 miles, no more tick whatsoever. It's now the perfect truck---has never been back to the dealer for any problem, warranty or otherwise !
As for the oil---I switched to full synthetic about the time the tick disappeared. Coincidence ? (not likely).

This is what I'm wondering. We know the 5W20 was chosen more for fuel economy reasons than for longevity. So if I was running even a quality full synthetic at 5W20 it shouldn't break down as fast and provide the proper protection, without having to go through the whole mess of an engine replacement, and all of the potential problems that could cause.

I'll do a search for some of those other guys. I am curious as to what the sound turned out to be.

Since the problem went away with fresh oil, but returned once the oil gets older, I am going to guess the 5W20 oil's viscosity modifiers are shearing down, and it's beginning to act more like a 5W even when warm.
EasternAirlineKenny (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytann
...Now at 20,000 miles the tick is starting back up again. I'm about to go to the dealership and see what they say...
Let me know what the dealer has to say, Kytann. Additionally, I'm happy to loop in your regional customer service manager; just send me a PM with your info (name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, servicing dealership) and I'll get this into their hands.

Crystal
Old 11-08-2013, 01:43 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

The injectors tick, and it's louder when new but is gone entirely now at 18,000 miles on my truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealership Oil too thin? 5.0 Engine