Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Oil Change, Beware!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Oil Change, Beware!!

Guys,
Whatever happened to the days of pulling the dip stick to check the oil after an oil change!!
So I take my truck into the dealer to have the oil changed, 2011 F-150 with 5.0. Now you guys know the 5.0 takes almost 8 qts. of oil. I pick the truck up and I get back to work and think I better check behind them. Pull the stick and it is barely touching the end of the stick. I look at my service ticket and sure enough it shows adding 6 qts. I add the additional oil myself and call the dealer and voice my concerns. Of course they apologize and say that never happens.
Now, here's where it really gets good. I go back to the dealer last week for another oil change, tire rotation, etc. When I go to pick it up first thing I do this time is look at the ticket, sure enough it once again says 6 qts. of oil. I question the service writer about it and he says that's all the oil it takes, I say NO the 5.0 takes almost 8. He looks on the ticket and then proceeds to tell me that I don't have a 5.0 that I have a 3.7, I said NO I assure you it is a 5.0. So I say lets go look and also check the oil. We walk out and I pop the hood and he says WOW you do have a 5.0, now let check the oil, hummm not touching the stick again. I ask him how does that happen, he say's well the ticket says your truck has a 3.7 and the tech just uses that info for filter and oil capacity. AS you can imagine the conversation started to deteriorate real fast, I said, first of all you mean that the tech couldn't see or verify the engine and MOST importantly he DIDN'T PULL THE STICK WHEN HE WAS DONE. As explained to to several there that obviously no one on BOTH occasions every looked at the stick. They were totally dependent on the info on the ticket and what the meter on the oil gun registered, nothing else.
Sorry for the long post but ALWAYS, ALWAYS check behind those working on your trucks!!

Thanks!
JR

Last edited by Pitts Driver; 09-06-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I love it. The not my fault , pass the buck song and dance. If it was one of the fast lane quick lube ford centers. The techs barely know how to drain the oil there.

Last edited by geabis; 09-06-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Dang. :/
Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

I am glad that my dealer aren't idiots....so far. They have always added 7.7 quarts. But just for the heck will check next time but yeah, hard to believe they don't even check the dipstick. The tech probably doesn't because it is so damn hard to reach on the 5.0.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The dealer I bought my truck from doesn't have mechanics either ... just parts changers.

All they can do is check to see if it's "in spec". When my brakes were squealing for no reason, the answer was, "they're within spec so there's nothing wrong and nothing we can do to fix it." A buddy fixed the problem, in my driveway, in 30 minutes!

It's sad they even call these people mechanics or technitians!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM
On more meds than ymeski

Received 651 Likes on 379 Posts

Sounds like you need to find a new place for your oil changes. My dealer kinda sucks as far as trying to by a new vehicle from (that's why I didn't get my truck there) but their service guys are pretty good.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Good that you checked! But I'm not sure what you expect, auto mechanics only make $75-$100 per hour, barely enough to live on. Don't be so hard on them.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM

I also tried to explain to them that I bring my truck to them and pay a PREMIUM price for their service, so I expect just that in their attention to detail. But sometimes there are those that just don't get it no matter how hard you try. Don't get me wrong I know there are some really good mechanics and service writers out there, I just seem to find the other ones.

JR
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You couldn't PAY ME to have someone change the oil on my 5.0. Too many high school dropouts doing oil changes these days.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 AM

I have several other vehicles that I take elsewhere or do the oil changes myself. I guess I will do something different with the truck too. It was just convenient to have them do it because they are like a block from work and I also bought it from them. Oh well!

JR

Quick Reply: Dealer Oil Change, Beware!!