Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer to Dealer sale OR Drive to Org Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dealer to Dealer sale OR Drive to Org Dealer

Anyone have any experience or information on working through a dealer to buy a truck from another dealer? Is there an extra cost?

Just not for sure if it’s better to buy a vehicle that another dealer (with bad reviews) has through a local dealer (with good reviews), or just work out a deal via email, and drive 5hrs to the dealer that has the vehicle?
Any suggestions or insight?

Apologies if this has already been covered, I searched, but couldn’t find anything.

Thank you
Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 PM

They'll charge you transport fees one way or another. That's about it.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Dan

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I paid 500 in transport fees that way. Delivered to my door.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM

it depends on how good you are at negotiating the price on the truck, the dealer that has the truck could still make a profit through the hold back if you get them down to invoice pricing. The dealer that would buy the truck from the other dealer to sell to you has to make their money on top of the invoice price. In my experience, you can get a better price from the dealer that has the truck. If the dealer that has the truck you want isn't a dealer you want to work with though, that extra 500 or 1000 you could save might not be worth it.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Master Gunner

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Back in 04 my dealer found the truck I wanted a couple hundred miles away in Los Angeles, but didn't charge me for the transportation.

HOWEVER, during the drive down (yes, it was physically driven and not trailered), it suffered a 2" dent on the front passenger door. They offered to fix it and knock an additional $1,000 of the price. I accepted.

Unfortunately, when I went to pick it up after it was finished, I could easily tell where the repair was. And a year later, the color mismatched became more readily apparent.

The take away for me is this: I will never again accept a vehicle if it is even slightly damaged in transit, even if there are incentives, unless they also offer a lifetime guarantee on the repair. I will also request it to be trailered down, even to pay for the transportation if the dealer won't budge on that. Last resort is to go to the other dealer to pick it up yourself.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Augster
Back in 04 my dealer found the truck I wanted a couple hundred miles away in Los Angeles, but didn't charge me for the transportation.

HOWEVER, during the drive down (yes, it was physically driven and not trailered), it suffered a 2" dent on the front passenger door. They offered to fix it and knock an additional $1,000 of the price. I accepted.

Unfortunately, when I went to pick it up after it was finished, I could easily tell where the repair was. And a year later, the color mismatched became more readily apparent.

The take away for me is this: I will never again accept a vehicle if it is even slightly damaged in transit, even if there are incentives, unless they also offer a lifetime guarantee on the repair. I will also request it to be trailered down, even to pay for the transportation if the dealer won't budge on that. Last resort is to go to the other dealer to pick it up yourself.
Im shocked your dealer doesn't offer a lifetime warranty on repairs. My local dealer (who is TERRIBLE) did a paint repair on my '11 Edge and even they have a pretty damn good lifetime guarantee.

You might wanna double check with them?
Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

All valids points. IMO I would deal with the dealer with the better reviews (locally) as this is going to be the dealer that will do if any repairs or warranty work on your vehicle and would be worth the extra cash.

They may not be so willing to work with you down the road if the purchase was through another dealer.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I thought this was quite common. I know in Pa, if any dealer does not have the truck you are looking for, they just do a dealer search and then make a deal with that dealer on a swap. Nothing extra is added.....at least not line item that is.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Master Gunner

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnw
You might wanna double check with them?
Too late. I swapped it two years later for an Expedition when I transferred to a "frigid" base before deployment.

Then subsequently got my now current 09!

Which is STILL in the body shop after five weeks due to a front end collision, but almost complete...
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by troutspinner
I thought this was quite common. I know in Pa, if any dealer does not have the truck you are looking for, they just do a dealer search and then make a deal with that dealer on a swap. Nothing extra is added.....at least not line item that is.
True, but I have seen it where the orig dealer doesn't want to swap so there is the transport fee as a negotiating point to get said vehilce. It varies but in most instances you are correct. When I got my 2011 it came from a sister dealership and they drove it from Atlanta, GA to North Carolina and paid for the gas.

Quick Reply: Dealer to Dealer sale OR Drive to Org Dealer