Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer cant recalibrate?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dealer cant recalibrate?

Went to the dealer to get a recalibration/re program for my larger tires that were just installed. They said they don't have the ability to so that. If I wanted to so it is have to chip/programmer my truck and it'd void warranty. What are you guys/gals doing when you're upping your tire size? I went to a 34 I told then the raptor has 35's. they said but you don't have a raptor. Lol. They can't just put a random size in anymore he said. What to do?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

I just got 34's installed and the dealer told me the stock tires were the largest they could input. I will just have Mike @ 5* update my tune to reflect the change of tires.

Putting larger more aggressive tires on the truck has breathed some more life into this truck for me. I get bored easy and was looking hard at the Raptors again (had one in 2010) but I really like this motor (ecoboost).
Old 12-18-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I could sworn I read people were going to the dealer to get recalibrate for $50. My dealer was charging $100 (which I would've paid) until they "figured out" they couldn't do it. I'm not chippin my truck so looks like I'm out. Really concerned about the extra miles I will incur but not travel. Pretty upset over this. Thought I did my research but must have missed something.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

There are so many different things people are being told. I wonder what's correct. My service guy told me 2 weeks ago that he would recompute mine for free when I got my new tires. I told him I was going with the 275/65/20's and he said as long as it's not too much larger there would be no problem. So who knows???
Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, if you went with a bigger tire, your odometer mileage will actually be below your actual mileage

Same with your speed, you'll probably be going about 3-5 Mph faster than you think

And geaux tigers
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got just got 285/75/18 Toyo AT2 tires put on my truck. Just shy of 35". I called the dealer today, and they said they could do it. $60. Supposed to take it in Thursday morning.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 128 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by LSULariat
I could sworn I read people were going to the dealer to get recalibrate for $50. My dealer was charging $100 (which I would've paid) until they "figured out" they couldn't do it. I'm not chippin my truck so looks like I'm out. Really concerned about the extra miles I will incur but not travel. Pretty upset over this. Thought I did my research but must have missed something.
I've read so much conflicting info on the recalibration. Majority saying that it can't be done. I have 295s on my truck and just ordered a tuner from Mike at 5star. Also, you will actually be traveling farther, yet the odo thinks you are going fewer miles....opposite of what you wrote.

Edit: WesJ beat me to it on the odo haha
Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine done as well they just update the PCM or TCM cant remember which one right now to a tire size that is the same or close to the same diameter they updated mine for my 305/45r22 rims and tires. It all depends on how knowledgable your dealer is on this subject. They told me I couldn't add a factory camera to my navigation as well and I did that too
Old 12-18-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 128 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinr7290
I had mine done as well they just update the PCM or TCM cant remember which one right now to a tire size that is the same or close to the same diameter they updated mine for my 305/45r22 rims and tires. It all depends on how knowledgable your dealer is on this subject. They told me I couldn't add a factory camera to my navigation as well and I did that too
Interesting. Maybe we should start a thread for people to list the dealership they used to have this done. I bet these dealerships are also more mod friendly than those that seem to have no idea what they're talking about. You'd think this would be easy money for the dealership to do. It can't take very long to do and many people change tire sizes.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

In the spring, if we aren't all paying a ton more in taxes, I plan on getting a level and 35x12.50 Duratracs at the dealership. They include the recalibration in the price. That's Anderson Ford in Boerne.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer cant recalibrate?