Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cluster lights won't shut off

Old 02-19-2015, 04:28 AM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Dash cluster lights won't shut off

Hey guys. Here is something that is stumping the dealership. This past Monday morning, went to the truck and it wouldn't turn over. Battery was dead to the max. No Problem I thought. Put in a new battery @ my shop. This is when I noticed , that after being inside for the hour, the cluster lights were still on. Nothing else.The rest of the lights weren't on, unless I turned the lthe lights on. Took it to the dealer, left it for the day, and of course they said I needed a new battery, and put one in, saying the battery I put in had a bed cell. I told them they were wrong,but hey what do I know.. Sure enough, I went to pick it up, and the cluster lights were on again. It's been @ the dealer ever since. BTW, its a 2012 Platinum with about 150,000 kms on it.Any feedback would be helpful, because the dealers haven't been.
The following users liked this post:
meatbllkop (05-23-2023)
Old 02-20-2015, 05:34 AM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Still in shop. Day 4. Cannot find the problem.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 AM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

Maybe the problem is in the ignition cylinder. When you put the key in it "wakes up" the cluster. There could be a stuck pin causing it to think there is a key present when there isn't.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MUFFMAN
Hey guys. Here is something that is stumping the dealership. This past Monday morning, went to the truck and it wouldn't turn over. Battery was dead to the max. No Problem I thought. Put in a new battery @ my shop. This is when I noticed , that after being inside for the hour, the cluster lights were still on. Nothing else.The rest of the lights weren't on, unless I turned the lthe lights on. Took it to the dealer, left it for the day, and of course they said I needed a new battery, and put one in, saying the battery I put in had a bed cell. I told them they were wrong,but hey what do I know.. Sure enough, I went to pick it up, and the cluster lights were on again. It's been @ the dealer ever since. BTW, its a 2012 Platinum with about 150,000 kms on it.Any feedback would be helpful, because the dealers haven't been.
The IC(instrument cluster) receives a signal from the brake shift interlock(a small switch inside the shifter assembly - on console shifts it requires replacement of the shifter assembly). Basically what happens is over time the small plunger on the switch of the brake shift interlock gets mushroomed off and the switch contacts never close, and the cluster never receives a signal that the shifter is placed in park. The IC will not shut off until it receives a PARK signal from the shifter.

Tell your dealership to monitor the IC pid that monitors transmission range, if the lights stay on the cluster, the pid will read no signal, meaning the brake shifter interlock isn't making full contact.
The following 7 users liked this post by ingotsilverfx4:
150ECO (12-01-2017), 3.5Ecoboost (05-17-2016), Daycruiser (07-05-2017), James Carl (05-20-2021), meatbllkop (05-23-2023), Rustell (09-21-2018), steelerz1 (10-29-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2015, 12:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselhunter44
Maybe the problem is in the ignition cylinder. When you put the key in it "wakes up" the cluster. There could be a stuck pin causing it to think there is a key present when there isn't.
We have also seen this issue as well. However since OP's truck is a console shift I suspect the issue to be with the brake shift interlock which is inside the shifter on the floor.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you "ingotsilverfx4"

Thank you so much "ingotsilverfx4" you were spot on with what was wrong with my truck. The dealer had absolutely no clue of what the issue could be. One dead giveaway in addition to what you mentioned "On the dash while the truck is in park the "P" for park was not lite in red" Thus confirming the truck does not know it is in park. Also my remote start stopped working, again anther indication the truck didn't know it was in park. Thank you again!!

Last edited by 3.5Ecoboost; 05-17-2016 at 09:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
James Carl (05-20-2021)
Old 05-17-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Any chance you keep the key in the ignition? I noticed if I park my truck and keep the key in the ignition the dash lights stay on. I would think you problem is the ignition switch itself. I say this because even if I just insert the key and not turn it my fuel pump kicks on.

Just read the other comments, glad you were able to figure out the issue.

Wayne
Old 09-03-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey so I had the same problem as everyone else. Dead battery, dash lights wont turn off, and my remote start wont work. I ended up finding out that it is the shift switch that you referred to. Some guy is selling them on Ebay and fixed the problem for me. There is a huge forum talking about it over at CarGuru. Hope this helps at least someone!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2014-F1...-/162075698977
The following 2 users liked this post by ecoboostking1987:
Daycruiser (07-05-2017), Steven A. Lewis (10-04-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe, maybe not. With my truck shut off and the keys out you can insert a cd and it starts playing. Also, the entire entertainment centre lights up and becomes completely active. You can switch to any input and make any changes to the music, make phone calls and it just keeps on going. You can even open the doors which would normally shut it off but no...keeps going. Great truck, **** electronics. Can you imagine 5 years from now?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information on this, I have a 2013 King Ranch 4x4 &mine has 34k miles, my boss has identical truck but he's got 130k on his ( he owns a trucking /construction company and travels a lot) anyway his instrument panel lights were staying on all the time & I Googled it to find this post on the 2nd shot and it was dead on, I checked the P indicator and no light when shifted to park, and it was the switch that the link provided to Ebay and got a switch & soldered & heat shrink the connections into the harness and worked perfectly, saving me tons of time & trouble of getting wire schematic from a friend who works for local Ford dealer. It's a great thing to be able to share experience with everyone. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash cluster lights won't shut off