Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dash Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom Dash Switch

Hello all,

I am looking to wire a few lights around my truck. I am involved with EMS using my personal vehicle at times and have LEDs for my grille, dash and maybe the light housings.

I had an idea to create a custom switch using the space between the air conditioner controls (the dials) where there are placeholders for buttons.

How might I be able to obtain something resembling those buttons to connect to my wiring? Please feel free to tell me it's way more complicated than it's worth or that it won't work at all.

I'm good with wiring and taking things apart/putting back together, but the ford parts site is rather cryptic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by thayden51
Hello all,

I am looking to wire a few lights around my truck. I am involved with EMS using my personal vehicle at times and have LEDs for my grille, dash and maybe the light housings.

I had an idea to create a custom switch using the space between the air conditioner controls (the dials) where there are placeholders for buttons.

How might I be able to obtain something resembling those buttons to connect to my wiring? Please feel free to tell me it's way more complicated than it's worth or that it won't work at all.

I'm good with wiring and taking things apart/putting back together, but the ford parts site is rather cryptic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

unfortunately there isnt a way to add a switch to an existing location by the heater controls. its a built in module and a single harness for everything in that cluster.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Still impossible even though I don't want to tie into the module or harness? I would want a similar looking button that I could tie my wires into and keep it independent of the rest of the system -- minus its location.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I mounted two switches for my four driving lights in the small tray at the front part of the console. I just popped out the little rubber base and drilled two holes for the switches. If I ever remove the switches, I can just put the base back in to cover the holes.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 PM

Nice idea and easy to "undo." thanks for the idea.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I also would like to use the 4 or 6 empty spots as I have the factory brake controller in the pocket and 4x4 in the coin holder spot! Don't really want to "hack" up the interior.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

I also wanted to add several switches for lights and accessories to my 2011 FX4. I had a few design considerations:
  • Easy to access.
  • Look as integrated/stock as possible.
  • Relatively easy to return vehicle to 100% factory.

Some of the locations I considered are in the picture below. I ended up using #1 for now with two switches. Working out nicely.

#1, the factory dimmer switch bezel. Easy to access, inexpensive to replace to return to stock, I like the idea that new light switches are in the same location as existing light switches. A 'step' in the stock bezel makes it hard to mount new switches flush unless you make a bezel overlay. Two switches max.

#2, the small removable panel just under the lighter/sync aux input. Easy to access, easy to replace, easily space for six or more switches, fairly easy to reach. Panel is more than you'd think to replace, pretty much would only work with smaller rocker switches, hard to see any indicator light on the switch.

#3, small pocket below power port. Pretty much useless for anything else, easy to reach. Looks very non-oem, not much switch space, have to fabricate not only a bezel and a way to mount the bezel in the space.

#4, pocket/tray on center console trucks. Lots of space, mount many switches, fairly easy to make bezel for. I use that pocket *all* the time for other stuff.

Last edited by pfbz; 05-05-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Nitrous user

Default switches

Originally Posted by pfbz
I also wanted to add several switches for lights and accessories to my 2011 FX4. I had a few design considerations:
  • Easy to access.
  • Look as integrated/stock as possible.
  • Relatively easy to return vehicle to 100% factory.
Some of the locations I considered are in the picture below. I ended up using #1 for now with two switches. Working out nicely.
#1, the factory dimmer switch bezel. Easy to access, inexpensive to replace to return to stock, I like the idea that new light switches are in the same location as existing light switches. A 'step' in the stock bezel makes it hard to mount new switches flush unless you make a bezel overlay. Two switches max.

#2, the small removable panel just under the lighter/sync aux input. Easy to access, easy to replace, easily space for six or more switches, fairly easy to reach. Panel is more than you'd think to replace, pretty much would only work with smaller rocker switches, hard to see any indicator light on the switch.

#3, small pocket below power port. Pretty much useless for anything else, easy to reach. Looks very non-oem, not much switch space, have to fabricate not only a bezel and a way to mount the bezel in the space.

#4, pocket/tray on center console trucks. Lots of space, mount many switches, fairly easy to make bezel for. I use that pocket *all* the time for other stuff.

I thought about putting some raptor aux switches in you #4 location?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 AM
swazispencer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I also thought about adding Raptor Aux switches. I've also considered installing some switches right below the button for the center console, on the silver trim peice.
Or this...
Name:  imagesCAH1Y4WI.jpg
Views: 2438
Size:  7.1 KB
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Proudly Canadian

Received 124 Likes on 113 Posts

^^ I'll be doing that one if i am ever in need of aux switches!!

Quick Reply: Custom Dash Switch