Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crew 5.5 as ultimate hunting truck platform?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Crew 5.5 as ultimate hunting truck platform?

hello guys. I will be moving to Colorado soon and will be hunting everything they let me hunt, from elk to rabbits.

I would like to build the ultimate hunting truck for Colorado country. This will not be a daily driver. It will be primarily a hunting truck and occasionally a general household errand truck.

As I understand it many CO trails, public and private, are very very narrow. For those who know this country, what would you be driving if you had the choice? Would the 1 foot shorter wheel base of a Taco be significant enough to influence your purchase? Or is most CO elk hunting just park the truck in an easy open field and get to walkin'?

i'm blabbering... quite simply i'd just like to know what your ultimate colorado hunting vehicle would be, if you had a budget of 60 (new vehicles only). Please feel free to be detailed.

I'm thinking either:

f150 ecoboost fx4 4x4 5.5 bed w/ elk winch

Taco double cab off road w/ v6 & elk winch in bed

Jeep/FJ cruiser to ensure more mellow trail driving, attaching some trailer for dead animals on an as-needed basis.

f150 raptor. No logical, defensible reason whatsoever. Just badass.

Last edited by andrew72; 05-08-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get an old beater with 4x4, and then buy a quad. You're not going to be bringing that truck through the woods. If you're on a logging road, a semi has been there before.....
Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

5.5 beds are useless for anything practical.

Get a crew 6.5 so you can put an atv in the back and your kill.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Bronco Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL, you're not from the west are you? It is a rare thing indeed when you can drive to where an elk is shot, and usually that includes a 4x4 ATV. Many times you cannot get a horse to where you get the elk.

Skip the winch in the bed because you're going to be quartering it up and packing it out on foot anyway.

Buy what you want and practice hiking in the hills, that's how you fill an elk tag.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed and well put, although we have gotten lucky once and been able to get a quad close to a elk. Carried it over to the quad via that one wheeled game cart, and 3 guys pulled it on the rack of the quad and wrapped/tied the legs around me and tied the rack back. and then went 0.01 mph down the side of the mountian. it was a sight, and probably one of the dumbest things weve done. but, it saved me 2 trips!

and yep, that winch would be worthless.

Originally Posted by etcbrown
LOL, you're not from the west are you? It is a rare thing indeed when you can drive to where an elk is shot, and usually that includes a 4x4 ATV. Many times you cannot get a horse to where you get the elk.

Skip the winch in the bed because you're going to be quartering it up and packing it out on foot anyway.

Buy what you want and practice hiking in the hills, that's how you fill an elk tag.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for schooling me, guys.

So is a truck, or a full-sized truck, too big for most hunting trails in CO? Or is a pickup still the ticket?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by etcbrown

Yeh...that winch will never be used for elk. You'll be quartering and packing out.

If your going to be cruising the mtn. roads...a ten ply or E rated tire is a must IMHO. Yeh...I've gotten by on D rated tires...cousin wasn't so lucky with sidewall slices. In ten days I saw 4 vehicles with flats...all D rated tires.

Most places are easy enough to get to with about any truck...park...hike. Unless u wanna get nuts with a lifted jeep.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Bronco Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew72
Thanks for schooling me, guys.

So is a truck, or a full-sized truck, too big for most hunting trails in CO? Or is a pickup still the ticket?
Full sized pickup is just fine. It will get you to camp, from there it is a bunch of walking.

I hope you aren't looking to hunt from the vehicle? It is illegal, not to mention you will **** off everyone you come across.

Quick Reply: Crew 5.5 as ultimate hunting truck platform?