Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking noise is driving me nuts!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Creaking noise is driving me nuts!

I got a 09 SCrew 4.6l 3v 2wd with 182,000 on it and here recently ive been hearing this creaking noise coming from the rear end. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side rear suspension. It only creaks whenever i hit a bump at low speeds, at least thats the only time i can hear it. Im not sure if its a bushing or a shock or what. Whenever i bounce on the ball hitch or pull up on the fender wells it doesnt make any sounds. Its only when i hit a bump, even a small bump. Ive gotten under there and tried looking for any defects but i cant find any. Any ideas what this might be?
Old 07-31-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same issue. Only when hitting small bumps. Sprayed some wd-40 on the tailgate hinges and latches and it went away. Quick, cheap and easy to try. Worst case scenario you're out $5 for a can of spray and two minutes of your time.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second that. Pull back and forth on the tailgate and see if it makes the same squeaky noise. I use PTFE spray on mine cause it lubricates more but I’m sure WD40 works fine also.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tm2006
I had this same issue. Only when hitting small bumps. Sprayed some wd-40 on the tailgate hinges and latches and it went away. Quick, cheap and easy to try. Worst case scenario you're out $5 for a can of spray and two minutes of your time.
Yea ive heard about that issue and i did try it but its not my tailgate. Its coming from the suspension amd its more of a creaking sound, almost like a creaky door closing when the truck flexes over small bumps. I pretty sure its one of the bushing because i got under and sprayed them all down with some oil and it quit for about a week but then it came back.. now im just trying to narrow down exactly which one it is. They all look ok to me so i think im going to try one by one to see which one it is.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ASauceyTurtle
I second that. Pull back and forth on the tailgate and see if it makes the same squeaky noise. I use PTFE spray on mine cause it lubricates more but I’m sure WD40 works fine also.
https://youtu.be/dPieNJ_WqpE I found this video on youtube, if you watch this video this is the exact noise my truck is making.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

my truck makes the same noise I have also sprayed down the suspension with wd40, not the tailgate though, I think it is my bushings as my truck has 179k miles on it. I plan on changing the bushings shortly, hopefully that will fix the noise it is so annoying, especially in a parking deck.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by bicsintegra
my truck makes the same noise I have also sprayed down the suspension with wd40, not the tailgate though, I think it is my bushings as my truck has 179k miles on it. I plan on changing the bushings shortly, hopefully that will fix the noise it is so annoying, especially in a parking deck.
haha i know man its so annoying. People lookin at u like ur driving some beater. It drives me crazy everytime i hear it. My truck has 182k on it and overall she's been a pretty good truck (knock on wood). Im almost positive its those leaf spring bushings tho and/or the shackle bushings. Im changing it all out! Might even put some new Bilstein 5100 shocks on there too.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SCrew09
haha i know man its so annoying. People lookin at u like ur driving some beater. It drives me crazy everytime i hear it. My truck has 182k on it and overall she's been a pretty good truck (knock on wood). Im almost positive its those leaf spring bushings tho and/or the shackle bushings. Im changing it all out! Might even put some new Bilstein 5100 shocks on there too.
my truck is or started as a work truck but rims, tires, suspension, stereo system 1/2 done, cross drilled and slotted rotors, and in the process of blacking out the entire truck, it is starting to be my truck that I just use for work. I have only had my truck for 10 1/2 months and I have put 40k miles on it, so at 200k miles I plan an doing a major tune up and overhaul, hopefully no major problems before then. the 5100 shocks is what I have on my truck and I like them but they are the only shocks I have ever had on the truck.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SCrew09
let us us know on the leaf spring and shackle bushing change out. Thinking of doing mine but worried about level of difficulty.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scraper

let us us know on the leaf spring and shackle bushing change out. Thinking of doing mine but worried about level of difficulty.
yea i will. I got the parts on order. Hopefully they'll get here by this weekend so i can get at it. I need to get a ball joint kit tomorrow. I know u can rent em from autozone or oreillys but im probably just gonna break down and buy one. I have a gear puller i was thinking about just using that, im pretty sure i could get the job done with that but im sure it'll be alot easier with a ball joint press kit. Ill keep yall posted tho. Hopefully it wont be too difficult to get this all done. *Fingers crossed*

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Creaking noise is driving me nuts!