Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could someone please check their 2012 truck??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

Default Could someone please check their 2012 truck??

I just waxed the truck for the first time and I noticed something a little out of cue! The gap between the bed and the cab is way different from one side to the other.
Here is the passenger's side

and here is the driver's side

Could a couple of you check to see if this is the way it is on your truck? Not saying it is a problem but maybe the bed isn't aligned properly!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

I notice my rear bumper is crooked and some panels are slightly misaligned but nothing too big to worry about. That's quite the difference though. Check the bottom of your doors, mine have no paint. Just primer.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Somebody else mentioned this and they had the dealer fix it up for them. I guess its more common than you'd imagine.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM
got mule?

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

You sure it's not the Canadian ruler?

I had a 05 long bed that was a bit worse than that. I didn't notice until after putting on a tonneau, measuring the X and getting weird numbers. I left it alone, seemed the only issue was the right side of the tailgate had to be slammed shut or it stuck out a hair. Had I not already put the bedrug in I may have taken it back. I was more concerned the dealer would screw something up or make it worse by taking it off and lead to back n forth trips so I just let it be. A good friend of mine worked for Dodge for a few years, he siad they'd unbolt to realign it, if that didn't work they sometimes had to cut one side off.

If you got a good dealer see what they would do to fix it, if you're comfortable with that then have them fix it.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

"You sure it's not the Canadian ruler? "

BAHAHAHA! ...I'm gonna check mine though!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alignment on my 09 is slightly off as well, but not in the gap from bed to cab. If you look at the grooves that run along the side of the entire truck about 1' up from the bottom, on my drivers side, they match, but on the passenger side, the groove on the bed is about 1/2" higher. It never has bothered me much though, so I haven't said anything.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

never checked, but i will. i also noticed that the door panel around the door handle have some distorition you can see looking into the side view mirrors, but i guess these are just small issues you run into when they pump out about half a million of these a year.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by 5ohxlt
never checked, but i will. i also noticed that the door panel around the door handle have some distorition you can see looking into the side view mirrors, but i guess these are just small issues you run into when they pump out about half a million of these a year.
The problem you are refering to is actually called "stamp marks." Well its the term we use in the body shop industry. We get hoods, doors, fenders, tailgates, and even fuel doors that have this "distortion" you speak of. I'm not saying it looks good, but it is very common. Its what happens to the sheet metal once the panel is cast out of the die.

Again, just trying to explain that to you. We had a guy keep bringing in his 09 xlt,back when I worked at a ford dealer for that same "distortion" we ordered 4 doors for him. They all had the same look. He wouldn't accept it. So we ended up fixing them all!!! Yup... bondo on his nice brand new(well back then) '09 xlt with 3000 miles!!!

And not trying to plug ford....but I have found that jeep, and chevy parts are by far the worst!! Haha!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:07 PM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mamonti
I just waxed the truck for the first time and I noticed something a little out of cue! The gap between the bed and the cab is way different from one side to the other. Could a couple of you check to see if this is the way it is on your truck? Not saying it is a problem but maybe the bed isn't aligned properly!
Measure the gap between the back window and bed, too.

Your bed was sit onto the frame a little crooked.

One of your back tires probably protrudes out of the wheel well a little further than the other.

If so, your's is the same as my '10.

You could loosen the bed bolts and try to 'square' it to the frame.

If you do that (or have the dealer do it) post up and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had your problem on my 2011. Unscrew the 6 bolts at the bottom of the bed with a torx 50. Could have bring it to the dealer but I wanted to place the bed exactly where I wanted. Took me 20 minutes. Once unscrewed you can move the bed alone...

Quick Reply: Could someone please check their 2012 truck??