Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolent leak where hose connects to turbo, bad turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Coolent leak where hose connects to turbo, bad turbo?

I have a 2014 F150 Ecoboost XLT that started leaking coolent pretty rapidly yesterday. I was pretty much completely out in less than 16 hours, leaving a puddle everywhere I went. I took it to Midas and they just called me and told me that I needed a new turbo, 700$ and 3-5 days, I use this truck for work. My truck is at about 96,000 miles right now. They showed me with it lifted and the coolent looks like its pooring out from where the line connects to the turbo and falling onto some pipes and then dripping to the ground. Could this leak really be a bad whole turbo or just a leak in the seal, or maybe a gasket or the hose? They said it wasn't the hose but I thought I better check here to see what you guys think. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I'd need to put eyes on to be sure. The only way the turbo could be bad is if it's cracked where the lines attach or an internal/external seal. Have them pressurize the system to pinpoint the leak while you observe, they may be trying to charge you a $$$ turbo at their cost of a $$ hose.
The following users liked this post:
BlandUserName (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 PM

Hey thanks for the info. I'll give them a call in the morning to ask about trying that. Would you recomend taking it to another place for a second opinion? theres another pretty good place in town. I think these guys already want to charge me for the tear down so i dont know if it would be worth it to pay for another place if they are going to do the same and that ends up being the problem.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Your guess is as good as mine as far as that goes.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 PM

Cool, thanks. Just trying not to cop out 1200$ and 3 days out of work if I don't actually need to. The way I saw it, it was coming out directly from where the hose met the the turbo around the rim and it was coming out pretty quick. I first noticed it when the engine was off and it was dripping quick even though it was cold and there couldnt be that much pressure. I'd like to think that its more than likely a seal where the hose connects and its just easier for the guys at the shop to order a turbo to swap than investigate further. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to learn about the subject so I cant say I know much.

Quick Reply: Coolent leak where hose connects to turbo, bad turbo?