Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant loss but no visible leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coolant loss but no visible leaks

I have a 2012 EB with 67k miles, I am loosing coolant but don't see an obvious leak anywhere. I put a gallon of the Motorcraft Orange coolant in 2 weeks ago to fill the reservoir back to the line. Now it is empty again. Ideas please.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:32 AM

I'd take it in and get the cooling system pressure tested. A gallon in a week is quite a bit, it shouldn't be hard for them to find.

Best case it might be a leaking hose or fitting leaking onto something hot so it's evaporating. It might be a leaking heater core. Or head gasket but let's hope for the best.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Don't forget ......

It doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem . Over time coolant evaporates so you need to add coolant once in a while ... If your loosing it within a day or so then you might want to have it looked at other than that its normal .....
Old 11-15-2014, 11:41 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHonks?
It doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem . Over time coolant evaporates so you need to add coolant once in a while ... If your loosing it within a day or so then you might want to have it looked at other than that its normal .....
A gallon in 2 weeks is a problem
Old 11-15-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
A gallon in 2 weeks is a problem
Agree. I haven't had to put a drop in my 2011 5.0 with 55k miles. You definitely have a leak somewhere.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Seeing as the intake manifold has no water running thru it you can rule its gasket as ok. The large water tube runs under the intake. Next is the water pump. They trickle at first and many times there is a colored trail below the pump. Next comes the motor oil cooler/warmer. It can leak but will enter the motor oil causing a change in that. Obviously a small water leak from a hose is paramount and hard to see at first. Smell for it. An internal leak from the heater is also a smell/haze in the cab. Head gasket leak would be last and very steam cleaned pistons are there to inspect with a bore scope. If the Turbo is it look again for a trail.
Possibly it is a poor seal of the coolant system. Most likely ! Going underneath and looking up with a good flashlight for the trail best done on a hoist helps a lot. A very tiny hole in the radiator can be hard to spot but once again there usually is a trail.
A meticulous search with pressure on the system can do it for you. Smelling it at the exhaust is a dead giveaway. Usually at this point things are going south quickly. It is most probable a seal leak at a heater hose.

Last edited by papa tiger; 11-15-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:38 AM

Ok, a little more info...

I honestly can't say how fast I am loosing it. As I was not too concerned the first time, I did not make a good mental note of the exact date or notice how quickly it went down again. I just noticed my electric fans kick on again yesterday so I thought I would check it. It has never run "hot". My first clue was no heat in the truck when sitting at a stop light, so that was when I checked the fluid level. I will fill again and monitor more closely this time.

I don't ever see any evidence of a leak on the ground, nor do I smell anything in the cab. I have checked the oil and it looks good.

This truck has been a lemon since I drove it home, 4 different intercoolers, before they finally determined it was a bad plug at which time it was out of warranty, heated seats replaced, pwr sliding rear window replaced, starter has gone bad, and now this! It is a damn good thing I work for FORD or I don't think I would ever buy another one.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever find the leak?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Thread's over a year old roski - might not get a reply.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by roski
Did you ever find the leak?
Your's using coolant too Roski?

Quick Reply: coolant loss but no visible leaks