Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confusion on Headlights (2014 XLT) upgrade advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Confusion on Headlights (2014 XLT) upgrade advice!

I'm putting together a game plan to start Blacking out my truck-

Grill
bumpers
badges
door handles
headlights/tails/3rd light.

on the headlights i'm not really sure where to start or go. Im looking at
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/264...os-Smoked.html

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/264...rn-Signal.html

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/264...eadlights.html

Thing is, I don't wanna lose any light output from my stock headlights. I'm guessing I have HIDS .....
much thanks-

my headlights-
Old 05-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

Or you could find a set of FX2 or FX4 headlights
Stock

Last edited by Siber Express; 05-13-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:28 AM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

Yes you have HID's and any of those you posted links to will be a downgrade unless you retrofit better projectors, etc into them... but then they will still look completely ricey (just my opinion)
Old 05-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
Yes you have HID's and any of those you posted links to will be a downgrade unless you retrofit better projectors, etc into them... but then they will still look completely ricey (just my opinion)
This^^^^ plus I drive at night and once you get used to the HID's going into something with less light bites.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Thanks Everyone-.

so what are my options ?? does anyone sell retrofits blacked out? or should i look for some FX2 or FX4(HIDS) ???

ty
Old 05-13-2017, 11:31 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Look for FX4 HID's. Maybe there's a crazy chance someone would want to trade black for chrome.

I'm not a big fan of those dual projectors in one headlight. Screams Aftermarket.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Split apart your current headlights and paint them.
The following users liked this post:
freddyttt (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford bullitens on Electrical mods to all years,

Gentleman,
Just joined, newbie, but will you guys pass this on.
Ford puts out customer bulletins on any new info learned primarily
Related for tech support. But directly, several guys questioning info on wire
Harness mods, schematics etcetera.
Search any on bulletins, any year for "customer access schematic, customer access circuits" Info will show wire harness config, for Builder Body companys, tech & more for things like upfitter switchs, fog lights, trailer lights, alarm, temote start PTO, ALL OF IT, they don't make individual wire harness unless spec build.
For instance, my truck has many above items wired in to harness, with fuse and relay to a nominal location. To complete circuit, add your switch, typically needs hot, ground, trigger for relay, your device to install, done & done.
Currently adding LED retrofit package of 20 plus lights, all directions for "Technical Search & Rescue", will include up to 16 channels, with 3 control panels, pass, driver side, cab, all firing trigger to relays, after coming out of Radio Frequency 16 channel wireless board transmiting up to 1,000 feet clear field of view!!
With Ford bulletins, have discovered 6 channels prewired, just installed 52" lightbars, four sides, fog lights, grill lights, power to all, right a four hours solo!!
Thank you, SIRS
Old 05-13-2017, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by masitile
Look for FX4 HID's. Maybe there's a crazy chance someone would want to trade black for chrome.

I'm not a big fan of those dual projectors in one headlight. Screams Aftermarket.
I don't mind the aftermarket part just wanna make sure what i get is going to give me some good light-output !!
Old 05-14-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by freddyttt
I don't mind the aftermarket part just wanna make sure what i get is going to give me some good light-output !!
Most aftermarket projectors are going to use H1 or some kind of H-based bulb. That is a halogen bulb. So getting H1 hid kit is very less than optimal. Real HID bulbs are D-based (there are a few exceptions, but not applicable here). Youre factory HID's use a D3S bulb and ballast. If you want better output than what you have now, you can open up those and go with a D2S EVOXR projector swap, change your bulb and ballasts to D2S, and then while you have everything apart, paint your chrome black. Or if youre happy with your output now, you can just take them apart and paint the chrome black. Or you can keep an eye our for a set of used FX4 HID's, but you will probably pay between $800-$1000 for a set and when you see them, you need to jump on them because they sell fast most of the time... But going to any aftermarket projector will be a major downgrade without upgrading them. Also there are companies like Raptorretrofit and others that do the upgrades if you feel like you dont want to tackle it.