Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerns after 6" lift

Old 05-26-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Concerns after 6" lift

Hey guys I decided to bring some life to my truck instead of buying new and did a 6" bds with new wheel setup. Went with -25 20x10 ultras wrapped with 35x12.5 duratracs. I just noticed a couple thing driving home from installer (town 200km away) and was curious if anyone had some ideas on this.

1/ Had to use a new adapter for the front left brake (kept used rotor and calibre) but now it squeals at slow speed like metal on metal. Could it just be re-wearing the brake parts together?

2/ Hearing a noise when struts compress over a "dip" it isnt a bang but more of a tubular sound? Hard to describe. Nothing seems to be rubbing or loose.

3/ Drove on the highway after getting home and noticed a rhythmic hum with small feedback in the steering wheel.. the truck drives straight and isnt riding rough or vibrating.

I have spent a lot of time around lifted trucks but never owned a true lift myself, so I am just wondering if these types of things are normal on a brand new lift. Thanks!

Pictures once I get her clean 👍
Old 05-26-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

The hum might be the IWE. Might have got messed up during install
Old 05-26-2017, 09:49 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

I'm going through this now with mine. I leveled and got a groan. I'm not gonna hijack your thread with my problems, I'll make my own.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's this adapter from bds? I installed bds 6" lift on my '14. No adapters installed on brakes. I don't have any issues other than alignment. Pictures or link part number.

I'm thinking it's all related. Sqeal can turn into a Humm if you are forcing something.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:28 AM

The hum went away next trip on the highway oddly enough, just gonna keep an eye on it. The adapter wasn't from BDS, the one that was on my truck had damaged threads so the banjo bolt wouldnt go back in thus we put a new adapter on. It also seems like the brake noise is going away as well.

When I picked my wheel setup according to everywhere I read it wasn't going to rub but unfortunately it does grab the backside fender when almost at full crank. Going to do some trimming later, don't look like it would take much to make it clear good enough for regular driving.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:54 PM

As an update its funny how some things are so simple but yet overlooked.. the brake noise wae a bent backing plate.. doh.

I trimmed a small lip off behind the wheel well liner and it allows me to go full crank and not rub which is good. Now I just have to fab up a way to mount my mud flaps/long johns. I made my own kickback brackets and hoping I can get it too work. Also have to mount my nfabs.

Search this Thread