Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk when coming to a stop/slight vibration at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Clunk when coming to a stop/slight vibration at idle

Have a 2010 supercrew 4x4 5.4L w/ 110k km, 5.5' box so it has a 1 piece drive shaft.

Truck is starting to clunk when coming to a stop (around 5km/hr or less). It does not clunk when already stopped, and does not clunk when accelerating from a stop. Almost feels like lightly getting rear ended. No other sounds, vibrations or clunks at any other speeds. Sometimes when coasting towards a stop at low speeds (less than 10km per hour) and not coming to a full stop, but reapply the gas (if the light turns green for example) it will sometimes engange with a bit of a clunk aswell. Had the tranny filter and fluid changed at 100k km. Before I take it in to someone, I would like to see if I can fix it myself. After reading countless threads for the last few hours, ive come to the conclusion that I should:

*Grease the joint that goes into transfercase
*Change rear shocks (someone said their clunk was fixed changing rear shocks, mine are original and need to get changed anyway)

Any other suggestions for anything else to look for? Anyone with the same make/model experience the same thing & have a fix?

Part 2 of this post:

Recently noticed truck has a slight vibration at idle. Seems to be minimally shaking. I dont think its misfiring as under load up hills/towing it doesnt lose power or feel like a misfire. I have 30k km on new motorcraft plugs. No codes or lights, no loss of fuel economy or power. It could be normal, I just dont remember it always being like this. Im going to pull and check plugs, clean and regap them just to make sure. Could this be the start of a faulty coil pack? If it is the coil pack, do they generally fail 100% and completely stop working, or do they gradually become less effective? And what would be the best way to test for which coil pack needs replacement?

I changed the oil, air filter (oem motorcraft) & cleaned the maf sensor 5k ago.

Thanks for help & info, its much appreciated. I would like to keep this truck for years to come and want to make sure things are fixed and maintained for longevity.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:45 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Try greasing the slip yoke. That would be the first thing I would try.

Check the plug gap.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The clunk you feel is probably the trans downshifting into first gear. Try dis-connecting battery for a short while and the reconnecting it, that will put the trans in re-learn mode and may solve the harsh 2-1 downshift.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:05 AM
OG

Received 243 Likes on 194 Posts

I noticed this on mine too, is this something that everybody gets? Mine also feels like it's slipping slightly sometimes at very low speeds when getting on it and going into gear.

Quick Reply: Clunk when coming to a stop/slight vibration at idle