Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clueless Salesmen

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 AM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Clueless Salesmen

Does anyone else get annoyed as all hell at salesmen who know nothing about the truck they are trying to sell you?

I stopped by a Ford dealership today to try and get a good back to back test drive of the Ecoboost and 5.0. To begin with I was not impressed with the salesman's reaction when I asked to test drive both back to back (maybe it was because I already made it clear I wasn't buying today as I didn't have my current truck with me to trade in...but that shouldn't matter if you want customers to come back).

Then, when I finally got to the test drive of the Ecoboost the salesman went on and on with information that was either false, over exaggerated, or outright lies. One of the first things out of his mouth (and the one that annoyed me the most) was that the ecoboost "has 400 horsepower and 500 ft lbs of torque!" It was obvious he was coached to try to move as many ecoboosts as possible as he knew nothing about the 5.0. He also referred to the 5.0 as a "gas hog" in comparison to the EB. And to boot when it came time to test drive the 5.0 he took me on an extremely shorter route than the route we took the EB on.

Needless to say I will not be buying from this dealership. Sorry, but its extremely annoying to me when I know more about the truck I'm test driving than the guy who is getting paid to sell it. Not to mention getting abbreviated service simply because he knew I wasn't buying on the spot.

Ok...rant over.

On a better note.....I was thoroughly impressed with the EB's torque down low. Way different power delivery than the 5.0. However the 5.0 is very impressive in the upper RPMs! Im really starting to lean towards the EB.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 AM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

Funny you mentioned that. My sister's boyfriend works at a dealership as a salesman for a lexus dealer. He says he has zero interest in cars as do most salesmen at his dealer. He openly admits he doesn't know a thing about cars and uses the brochure or computer to answer all his customer's questions.

My salesman wasn't any better. When I ordered my truck he didn't know what options I could get with an XLT. So, he went to the ford canada web site, built my truck on there, printed it out and took it to his manager. When I took delivery of the truck, he told me the base stereo has a 40 gb hard drive built in and I upload my music through USB...
Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 AM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Happens to me pretty much every time I buy a vehicle and that's mostly because I research it to death for about 3 months before I buy. When I bought my wife's Toyota Sienna, the salesman actually told me he wasn't going to talk about the vehicle anymore since I knew way more than he did.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 AM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

You'd think they (the dealerships) would put a little more effort into training their salesmen on the vehicles they are expected to be selling people on. And on the salesman's part, you'd think they would want to be an expert (so to speak) on the vehicles they are selling. Don't get me wrong, I've come across some salesmen that know their stuff....but it seems like more often than not they are clueless. Losing sales.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:18 AM
Mountain Dew Guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't get it, I was a salesman at best buy and I always strived to be the best, and I don't get commission.. Why wouldn't the salesman who get commission want to know the information and sell more cars?.. If I was a salesman there I would study up on all the cars and make sure I know them like the back of my hand!!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Heh,

I think my wife had more issues with our salesman than I did... I just walked in assuming he was an idiot... my wife wanted to prove it.

Just a few incidents with him:
- He was overly impressed that it had automatic locks and windows.... must have showed us a dozen times.
- When asked what the gear ratio on the truck was.... he stated it was a 5.4l engine. (The decal was not on the one truck we were looking at) when explaining that the engine was not the same as gear ratio he looked at her as asked, "Does it really matter what the ratio is? I'm sure it is good". When explained that it had to do with towing a camper... he simply stared in a confused daze.
- His next big thing was to show us that the back seat folded all the way up and "When you guys go camping you can use the back seat to change clothes in..." To which my wife replied... "Or we could change in the camper we just said we were going to tow.

He really new nothig about the truck. But I knew what I was looking for and simply blew him off most the time. That and we got a good price on it.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
Heh,

I think my wife had more issues with our salesman than I did... I just walked in assuming he was an idiot... my wife wanted to prove it.

Just a few incidents with him:
- He was overly impressed that it had automatic locks and windows.... must have showed us a dozen times.
- When asked what the gear ratio on the truck was.... he stated it was a 5.4l engine. (The decal was not on the one truck we were looking at) when explaining that the engine was not the same as gear ratio he looked at her as asked, "Does it really matter what the ratio is? I'm sure it is good". When explained that it had to do with towing a camper... he simply stared in a confused daze.
- His next big thing was to show us that the back seat folded all the way up and "When you guys go camping you can use the back seat to change clothes in..." To which my wife replied... "Or we could change in the camper we just said we were going to tow.

He really new nothig about the truck. But I knew what I was looking for and simply blew him off most the time. That and we got a good price on it.
Lol hell even if you didn't have a camper you could just change by the truck you don't have to get in it your in the woods.. Lol salesman are a different breed
Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep looking for a better sales lot. It took some time but I found a salesman that was very knowledgable about the new fords and it made the buying experience much better.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I don't expect them to know anything. I do all my research up front so I know what I'm looking for when I go in.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
I don't expect them to know anything. I do all my research up front so I know what I'm looking for when I go in.
X2 Everytime I go the the dealership they always comment on how much I know. Bunch of idiots!

Quick Reply: Clueless Salesmen