Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Class Action Lawsuit for EcoBoost owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Class Action Lawsuit for EcoBoost owners

Saw this today and went back 4 pages on the forum (before the timestamp on the article) and didn't see anything posted... so I thought I would let the group know.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Safety-Defect

Basically what everyone with problematic EcoBoosts already know. CAC issues with moisture has resulted in a class action lawsuit against Ford.

As a shareholder, this is disappointing. As an Ford F150 owner (albeit not an Ecoboost), I'm glad to see something being done on behalf of the class.

The major take-way would be this:

"Owners of 2011-2012 F150s can contact Hagens Berman to discuss this case by calling (206)-623-7292. You can also speak with an attorney by emailing FordF150@hbsslaw.com or by submitting information at www.hbsslaw.com/cases-and-investigations/cases/FordF150."
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

The attorneys might get something out of it, too bad for the F-150 owners. Couple bucks each maybe. Class action is hardly ever beneficial to the end user.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 PM
King Ranchin' Member

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

What about 2013 owners that have had the issue as well? I don't want any money, I just want Ford to prove that it has been fixed. I was lucky it happened to me on a back road and not while merging onto a busy highway.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lost In Sync
The attorneys might get something out of it, too bad for the F-150 owners. Couple bucks each maybe. Class action is hardly ever beneficial to the end user.
Hopefully it will get Ford off it's *** and stop saying all these issues either don't exist, we should ignore or be patient until they can figure it out. Something needs to kick them in the pants, maybe this will help motivate them!
The following users liked this post:
pprior (02-25-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Well! I have had this problem twice. I have the flash/CAC cover fix. So far, I have not had a repeat. However, I also have not driven in similar conditions that caused the initial problems. I don't know that Ford is not addressing the problem. The CAC redesign shows they are very aware of the problem. What I wish they would do is save their reputation, millions in litigation, and future customers and issue a voluntary recall. People are not required to submit to the recall, but those who live in areas with high condensation conditions would benefit from having their problem solved.

I hate class action suits as often times the only ones who truly benefit are the lawyers. If Ford is worried about the rep of the Ecoboost line, then being open and facing up to a design issue and owning up to it will earn more loyalty than hiding behind lies and lawyers. I hope this is a wake up call to Big Blue.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 PM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

seems to me like lawyers will take up any cause and sue anyone for any reason now a days.... what has society come to?

internet forums have blown the CAC deal out of proportion IMO, kinda like raptor frames a while back... A few people had the problem and posted about it and suddenly everyone is rushing dealers to get the fix or griping about it. maybe I haven't been looking online for issues with my EB (no offense to anyone who has a legitimate issue..). There may be a design issue in certain climates/conditions, but that doesn't mean all EB's are tainted..

I really can't stand our 'sue happy society' lately, for example.. city where I live was sued by the family of a felon who was in violation of his probation, carrying a fire arm, in a fight in public, failed to heed police warnings to stop his vehicle and was shot and killed as he drove the vehicle towards police officers after leaving a night club. family sued the city, the PD and the firing officers and got a settlement because police had 'no right to shoot him' so say the lawyers. city says it was cheaper to settle for several hundred thousand than go to court. now a similar lawsuit is going down in Lubbock. Thanks to lawyers the families of felons and criminals can now get rich quick on the taxpayers dime.

/end unrelated rant..

Last edited by FX4life; 02-19-2013 at 10:56 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by FX4life:
BCMIF150 (02-20-2013), Centexguy (02-20-2013), hydro (02-19-2013), Kenferg1 (02-19-2013), RideRed (02-20-2013), Rok (02-20-2013), rphillips1217 (02-20-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Sub'd...
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4life
seems to me like lawyers will take up any cause and sue anyone for any reason now a days.... what has society come to?

internet forums have blown the CAC deal out of proportion IMO, kinda like raptor frames a while back... A few people had the problem and posted about it and suddenly everyone is rushing dealers to get the fix or griping about it. maybe I haven't been looking online for issues with my EB (no offense to anyone who has a legitimate issue..). There may be a design issue in certain climates/conditions, but that doesn't mean all EB's are tainted..

I really can't stand our 'sue happy society' lately, for example.. city where I live was sued by the family of a felon who was in violation of his probation, carrying a fire arm, in a fight in public, failed to heed police warnings to stop his vehicle and was shot and killed as he drove the vehicle towards police officers after leaving a night club. family sued the city, the PD and the firing officers and got a settlement because police had 'no right to shoot him' so say the lawyers. city says it was cheaper to settle for several hundred thousand than go to court. now a similar lawsuit is going down in Lubbock. Thanks to lawyers the families of felons and criminals can now get rich quick on the taxpayers dime.

/end unrelated rant..
FX4, I generally tend to agree with you about living in a sue-happy society. There is certainly a lot of abuse out there with our legal system, and some cases are just flat out ridiculous like the ones you mentioned.

However, in this case, I'm glad to see this action. This is turning out to be more than a few cases here and there. This is a very public and well documented issue at this point. While some owners may live in a climate that doesn't trigger the problem, it doesn't mean there isn't a problem that needs to be addressed on a large scale. As others have stated, Ford wouldn't be sinking money into newly designed CACs if this was just a manufacturing defect/bad batch of parts. What if I wanted to take a cross country trip in my truck as an example? It may not happen to me in Ca, but what if I'm passing through Texas or in some other humid climate and all of the sudden experience the problem? I'd like to know that my vehicle is capable and problem free no matter where I go.

Consumers are left with few options for challenging a large corporation. Many here have experienced significant frustration, let alone the significant safety issues. I would rather see an attorney take this head on and force Ford's hand rather than an actual fatality to occur before serious attention is given to the matter. While I agree that class actions are typically not good for the consumer and benefit the attorneys most, I believe most people with the EB just want their vehicle to work. Most people purchased these vehicles because they like Ford products...they don't want to be forced to go elsewhere. If the lawsuit does nothing more than force Ford to go public with the matter and issue a recall for a "real" fix, I think all EB owners stand to benefit much more than some check in the mail. If an owner doesn't feel they are exposed to the problem, they don't have to go in for the fix, but at least this (potentially) puts significant pressure on Ford to do the right thing if the attorneys can prove what many on here have suspected for quite some time, which is the symptoms point to a fundamental design/performance flaw that is triggered under certain conditions.

Ford is posting record profits, and the F150s are a significant part of that story. If it takes a lawsuit like this to call Ford to the mat and hold them accountable for what they are marketing as a best in class, reliable, and quality vehicle (let alone the premium they charge for such a product), I really don't see how any of this is a bad idea, and I think it's the best option that serves a majority of owners.
The following 5 users liked this post by jweidert:
canddmeyer (02-20-2013), Count Drunkula (08-13-2013), MOSOXFAN (02-20-2013), pprior (02-25-2013), Toddman38 (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 AM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteDreamin
Saw this today and went back 4 pages on the forum (before the timestamp on the article) and didn't see anything posted... so I thought I would let the group know.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Safety-Defect

Basically what everyone with problematic EcoBoosts already know. CAC issues with moisture has resulted in a class action lawsuit against Ford.

As a shareholder, this is disappointing. As an Ford F150 owner (albeit not an Ecoboost), I'm glad to see something being done on behalf of the class.

The major take-way would be this:

"Owners of 2011-2012 F150s can contact Hagens Berman to discuss this case by calling (206)-623-7292. You can also speak with an attorney by emailing FordF150@hbsslaw.com or by submitting information at www.hbsslaw.com/cases-and-investigations/cases/FordF150."

The article states more than 20 owners?, please, we have that many on the first page of this forum. And what, Ford has 4000 kits on back order or some crap?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

I agree with jweidert, I have a 13 EB and so far i havent had the bad experience/issues but its winter and would like to know I have truck that can be driven in all weather condtions not just cool climates. I travel all summer towing a boat when its hot/humid/wet, I shouldnt have to be concerned about my truck stalling/shaking/stumpling/hesitating when escelerating on the highway or passing a car on a back road that my truck could react and shut down. The only way owners are gonna be comfortable with there trucks is if Ford issues a recall and identifies publically there is an issue and states that there engineers have found a permanent solution.(if they have one) I got a 7 yr warranty on my truck so I am not worried about having to pay for repairs, warranties are not going to stop my truck from faltering. As posted above I would have more loyalty and respect for Ford to step up and be honest and issue recall and provide a permanent fix for there loyal F150 owners.

Quick Reply: Class Action Lawsuit for EcoBoost owners